Public charter
Phoenix, AZ
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Greetings Students, Parents and Community Members, The 2010 school year begins Monday August 3rd and the administration, faculty and staff of Crittenton Youth Academy are looking forward to making this year the best ever. I am happy to report the Crittenton Youth Academy continues to be designated as a performing school by the Arizona Department of Education. Although we are performing, we believe that our potential is much greater. We have enhanced our curriculum and instituted new best practices that will improve educational outcomes for our students. Our first goal this year is to ensure that every one of our students meets or exceeds the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) exam by: Aligning our curriculum to Department of Education State Standards Identifying students who are at risk of not meeting AIMS standards and providing remediation and tutoring Providing a safe and secure school environment Maintaining a learning community where everyone shares a focus on student learning To achieve these goals, we have added to our administrative team. We are excited to introduce Kendra Mitchell, as the CYA Curriculum and Instruction Coach. Mrs. Mitchell is eager to support faculty and students to ensure that CYA meets our educational goals. Our second goal is to give students the opportunity to feel empowered, gain a sense of purpose and learn the decision making skills that will prepare them for life beyond the classroom. To meet this goal, CYA Social Worker, Jennifer Miller, will be facilitating the curriculum of the Search Institute s 40 Developmental Assets. The program objectives are to: Increase student achievement and graduation Increase student satisfaction and connectedness Increase student protective factors and assets Increase student positive behavior and engagement Increase parent/guardian involvement This year, we will be beginning a National Junior Honor Society club and post-secondary transition workshops through the Educational and Career Action Plan (ECAP). I welcome you to visit CYA for a tour and conversation with me regarding your child s education and our vision of excellence. I look forward to meeting with you. Respectfully, William Bressler Principal 715 West Maricopa Street, Phoenix AZ 85013 phone 602-274-7318 fax 602-288-4118 www.florencecrittentonofaz.org
August 10, 2009

Posted September 28, 2014
I have two freshman who are attending this year, they have been in charter schools ll their lives and i felt this would be a good fit for them. I didn't want them to get lost in the big world of public school. So far they love it there and they are learning so much especially tools to get them ready for college. One was in NJHS last year and is currently holding a 3.7 GPA in the hopes that she will able to take some of the AP courses that are offered next year. The other missed 2 weeks of school because she had surgery on her back. The went she was home they sent work home for her to do and they are helping her after school with catching up on what she has missed. I have been very impressed with the school thus far.

Posted March 26, 2014
My daughter currently attends GLAAZ she is a junior and started there on her freshman year. She has had an amazing three years she has had the opportunity to learn with great teachers that care very much about the students the class sizes are small so she is able to get more one on one help with her learning. The school has empowered her to be self confident to have high goals for life and set very high standards for her College career. I'm so happy with the decision we made on attending this school and would highly encourage parents to come visit and see what this school is all about.

Posted March 26, 2014
This is an awesome school. My daughter is a freshmen. She was not sure if she would enjoy the school. She has changed her mind. Smaller classes, lots of one on one teaching, outstanding teachers who really care about the girls. If you would like for your daughter to have a outstanding education "FREE". Send her to Girls Leadership Academy!!! You will not regret it.

Posted March 17, 2014
If your daughter cares about her education then Girls Leadership Academy of AZ is the place. The teachers are wonderful, and truthfully care about what they teach. They want your daughter to succeed and have high expectations for the students. I like the small class sizes and I hope they continue this. I believe a small class size is very important for the teachers to be able to teach and the students are able to get the attention they deserve.

Posted February 22, 2014
This school is a unique opportunity for each girl to create her own experience. My girls came from a large excelling high school with a full and diverse curriculum and plenty of sports and extra-curricular activities, but they got lost in the crowds and gained nothing. Here, at this small school, the teachers focus on the students needs. They work to help them all. They want every girl to succeed. There is no getting lost. My girls have received what they needed, guidance, care, attention, challenge, and encouragement. The teachers and administrators at the school really care about the girls and their future and the future of girls as women. If you are looking for a safe academic home to nurture your daughter's mind, look no further. You have found it here. We did, and I am grateful every day for it.

Posted November 13, 2013
The most amazing schools I've ever been to, truly a blessing being able to go the first all girls public highschool. An amazing environment of care and support offered by the staff and students. When you think 'all girls' you often think of cattiness and rudeness but not at the Girls Leadership Academy, the student body is so well behaved and their sense of community is outstanding! This school has helped me realize that the future is bright for me and they've helped me build confidence and realize my full potential.

Posted October 14, 2013
Girls Leadership Academy is a truly amazing school. I have watched my daughter blossom into a focused young lady. She (we) have benefited from the exceptional staff and opportunities offered over the past 3 years. Teachers/Mentors at this school care about every single girl and her educational/life goals. They are willing to stay after school, come early to help girls with school work. I love this school and staff ! I know wherever my daughter's success leads her I CAN NOT TAKE FULL CREDIT ..... the positive influence of this school and staff motivates her to succeed. My daughter has benefited and grown due to the all girl enviroment. It has enabled her to be herself and grow as a leader, advocate, follower and friend to the 100+ sisters she now has.

Girls Leadership Academy of Arizona 1

Posted August 23, 2013
I left the school because of the lack of professionalism of teachers as well as the fact that Florence Crittenton is a social services agency NOT a school district. They use state funding to support the residential group home. What a joke. Look at the staff - they are all from Department of Corrections. Does that sound like Leadership Academy to you? Not me. If you are white and not pregnant, they don't care about you. As for the board. What a joke.

Posted January 23, 2013
I felt compelled to write this review because I am very grateful to GLAAZ for all they have done for my daughter. We came to GLAAZ because we wanted a school that would set our daughter apart when it came time to apply for college and we feel the individual support and rigorous instruction will do just that. My daughter is thriving in the all-girl environment which limits distraction and helps to build strong relationships. I highly reccomend this school to others.

Posted November 14, 2012
This review is for the current school.... Girls Leadership Academy - Well to start this is an all GIRLS College Prepatatory that opened in 2011 with the Principal being from the distinguished Madison school district, a smaller class setting vs. the traditional overcrowded highschool. Each girl gets personal attention and is offered rigerous class courses that will prepare them for College. The teachers are truly accredited , and outstanding when it comes to offering time to students. Its more of a modern approach to a girls school without the pressures of a co-ed setting. Though they do require a simple uniform, it varies to suit each student.The Girls can focus on their work and all in all the school is very laid back and familiar, all the girls get along with each other quite well.

Girls Leadership Academy of Arizona
715 W. Mariposa St., Phoenix, AZ  85013
Last modified Girls Leadership Academy of Arizona is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Girls Leadership Academy of Arizona Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top