Public charter
Phoenix, AZ

1 star

Posted April 09, 2015
My child attended GGPA the first year that it opened, and we left before the school year ended. The administration had no clue what they were doing. I can't believe they made major changes in the middle of the school year. The most devastating change was when my daughter came home to tell me they were no longer in grade level classes, but the classes were based on knowledge level. So you had 6th graders in the same classes as 8th graders. Who's dumb idea was that? The Kids were smart enough to know if they were in the dumb class. The teachers were frustrated, kids were frustrated, and although I wanted to stick it out for the rest of the school year, I could not allow my daughter's education to suffer because of the dumb ideas that administrators had during the time. There were a few good teachers, and it was quite evident which teachers cared about the students, and which teachers were there to collect a paycheck. All my daughter talked about was the music and art program, (Ms. Love and Mr. White) and just think this was suppose to be a STEM school. I was so disappointed. If you are thinking about bringing your child here, do yourself a favor.....Don't!

Posted March 30, 2015
This school is the worst school ever! I cant' believe they call it a prep academy oppose to calling it a reform school. That's what it feels like. I can't WAIT to pull my son out of this God-Awful school. The administration has no clue on what they are doing, and the special ed teacher does absolutely NOTHING. Like why is she even there???? She seems lazy, and from what I gather from my child, she does nothing ALL DAY. She is far from any special ed teacher that I have ever experience. There are only a few teachers that are fairly decent, but the rest of them must have gotten their training from a diploma mill school. Counting down the days when I can finally remove my child from this school. BEWARE, do NOT send your kid here unless you don't care about your child's education!

Posted March 13, 2015
To begin, the administration is awful. It seems like the rules change daily and the punishments for students are never adhered to consistently. The teachers seem obviously unhappy every time I have met with them. There is only one science teacher for seventh and eighth grade and I have heard nothing but complaints and pleas from my child to transfer. When your kid is afraid of their teacher, you know you have an issue. There was a high teacher turnover rate the past few years, but not anymore. Do not let this console you, the teachers that are here (with an exception or two) probably wouldn't be hired at a self-respecting education facility and that is the only reason they stay at George Gervin. There is no counselor or psychologist available even though one would be so highly beneficial. The students are very "cliquey" and many of them do not get along. This is particularly true between different ethnic groups, but nothing is done to address this issue. This is NOT a prep academy regardless of the name. This school is preparing children for prison, not for college.

Posted February 17, 2015
Tameka Harris was the worst principal ever. She was more interested in her hair and nails than teaching. They need to get the principal of the purple school over here. I would have taken my child to her if she had junior high. She at least saw me and showed she cared.

George Gervin Prep Academy
2801 E Southern Ave, Phoenix, AZ  85042
Last modified George Gervin Prep Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
George Gervin Prep Academy Rating: 1 out of 5 based on 4 reviews. Top