Fireside Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Student diversity

Posted today

I am honored to be part of the team that teaches with the self-contained 1-2 teacher. She is the epitome of professionalism and class, even when faced with difficult parents. She is nationally recognized and is highly respected in the education community. She received a record number United Parent Council parent recommendation letters last year - 10 (which is almost half the class)! I would highly recommend this program and this teacher to anyone, and hope that parents who have problems will solve them in the proper forum (the school setting) rather than on the Internet.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted yesterday

Oh my goodness, I loved my son's 1/2 teacher and am very upset by the last post. My husband and I definitely do not agree and would highly recommend this program and school to anyone! I guess every teacher can't please anyone, but my son's teacher was wonderful. Highly highly highly recommend!!!

Posted yesterday

I am curious - if the self-contained teacher is so bad, did you pull your daughter out? Because if not, it sounds like she wasn't as bad as you are saying, because a good parent wouldn't have let their child continue in this kind of setting.

Posted August 13, 2014

Beware of the self-contained gifted grade 1-2 teacher! She is a terrible teacher. She'll suck the love of learning out of your child. Children are told to not ask questions and ignored when the raise their hands for help. Kids who don't listen are punished harshly, criticized and shamed in front of the class. The only exception is if she knows the parent personally or professionally or if your child wins lots of awards, then she might be nice and actually help your child. She does not allow parents in the classroom. She will lie to your face repeatedly about what is going on. Trust your child. Many parents are afraid to speak up because they don't want their child to lose their spot in the self-contained gifted classroom. Believe me, no specialized education is worth subjecting your child to this teacher!

Posted August 11, 2014

The school is new and pretty with all of the new school technology you want to see in a school. Maybe because it is a new school, it just doesn't seem to have all jelled together. Everything is by the book without allowing for kids to grow as individuals. You can find some "hidden gems" like the chorus program but there is little that doesn't cost a bucketload of money to entice students into before or after school. I admit some things annoyed me last year when my daughter tested very high into honors math, was moved into it without me knowing, and since it was part way into the year she wasn't given the instructions to catch up. The honors math teacher I assume was frustrated with her not immediately knowing what they were learning because she told my daughter when she asked a question "You should know this by now" My stubborn daughter (age 9) decided she didn't like the class and refused to do the work. She was sent back to her original class, and sat on top of the class with A's that didn't challenge her at all. All of this happened without me knowing and I only found out after in a conference. If there had been communication with me, I am sure I could have worked it out.

Posted August 4, 2014

We have been here from day one and love our school. We were concerned because we moved here to go to another school, then they built Fireside. Teachers and staff are all about a positive, healthy & caring learning environment. As a parent of a child who was being bullied. I found Mr. Davis & Ms. Jolie to be concerned and willing to make it a positive experience for all the children involved. I spoke & saw everyone from other parents, kiddos, teachers & staff everyone is knows everyone's name. I found it to be a place we're a child can learn and grow into a well rounded individual. 3 years and only getting better.

Posted April 8, 2014

This was a highly touted school as it is new and just opened in 2012 and has a very clean new building with all the latest gadgets/technology and facilities for the students. It shows well from the outside. And probably caters well to those kids who follow directions blindly without curiosity. However, if your child is curious, high-energy, highly inquisitive, who is hands-on and likes to take things apart and put them back together, or social and verbal and very intelligent, this may not be a good fit. The culture is to develop and encourage robotic kids who blindly follow what the school hands down. In such an environment, it is highly unlikely that a parent will get the true feel of the culture as most parents are very busy and are just happy to let the school mold the kids. If you are a parent who is willing to see the erosion of your child's individuality and curiosity, then this maybe the school for you.

Posted November 14, 2013

The teachers are great & the school is beautiful....the principal & his assistant, not so much. Mrs Joley is the only point of contact at the school if you have any concerns. This is our second year at the school & Mr Davis has never returned any of my calls, only Ms Joley, to say "he is out of the office" and she can help me instead. I agree, he is silly & kind to the kids and he is visible after school, getting the kids in the cars...but in no way does he demonstate leadership qualities. My biggest concern is that EVERYTHING is considered "bullying", calls from the office, kids missing class, because one told the other he was better at a sport than the other one. I do think kids should be nice to each other and we should encourage that, but jeez, isn't there a way to say, "hey, that wasn't very nice, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?? I don't think a child should EVER miss class unless they are disrupting class, period. I also wish they had after school sports for the kids that was funded by the district & didn't cost $100+ dollars for a 4 week session.

Posted October 27, 2013

We came to this school for the self-contained gifted program and in the primary grades it is excellent. The things they are doing with technology will blow you away! However, the self-contained kindergarten program is just terrible. The teacher has told us our child is not gifted and she gives piles and piles of busy work. With the rest of the program being so spot on, it's a shame that K is lacking so badly.

Posted September 26, 2013

We are blessed to have our son in such a wonderful school. He adores his teachers and is learning so much wonderful information. Kindergarden with Mrs. Wolkis was amazing he still watches the video she made for the class. Mrs. Kapur this year is just as wonderful for first grade as they are using ipads in there class. Great program.

Posted March 18, 2013

I am extremely pleased with every single staff member I've come in contact with at Fireside. My oldest just entered Kindergarten and we searched and searched for the school that would give her the best foundation for her upcoming school years. After looking at 5-6 different schools in the area, we decided on Fireside (even though it was just in the process of being built). We are so happy we did! I've yet to hear one negative comment about any of the Kinder teachers and her teacher is absolutely outstanding!!

Posted February 12, 2013

LOVE LOVE this school. We have been impressed from day one with the teacher quality and leadership. Opening a new school can have its challenges, but the staff and administration has made it as smooth as possible. SPARK behavior using PBS is exactly what kids need. Catch em being good and reward like crazy. It works and helps them problem solve what to do next time if they mess up. STEM is a wonderful addition as well.

Posted February 5, 2013

I love Fireside! We were at Wildfire for the past 5 years but made the change when they opened Fireside. We were nervous about making such a big change since we were so happy at Wildfire. It has been one of the best decisions we have ever made. My son's 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. T is wonderful! Caring, approachable and as my son says "sunny and happy". My daughter is in 6th grade and changes classes. I adore the 6th grade team and Mrs. Schenk is fabulous! She not only is a wonderful teacher but focuses on character and teamwork. The principal, Mr. Davis is very visible and wonderful with the students. He's not afraid to be silly and really get to know his kids. A very positive male role model for our children. The PE teacher motivates the kids to get active. The choir teacher is also loved by my children. My kids also attend the Mascot club after school. Michelle, the director is superb! I feel so lucky and blessed to have my children in such wonderful care!

Posted January 6, 2013

This is its first year up and running and I couldn't be more happier! My daughter was just recently hospitalized for pneumonia and her 1st grade teacher took the time out to come and visit her during her stay, :)

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

The Arizona Department of Education did not report AZ LEARNS results for this school.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3725 E. Love Cactus Drive