Echo Mountain Primary School

Public | PK-3 | 655 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 15, 2013

The Make Your Day program is a very good one, provided the staff is adequately trained in it. In this school, that has not happened for many, many years. The turnover concerning Principals and Teachers is too high. There is a reason for that. I know - I was a teacher there. Most of the long time teachers that were dedicated to this particular school have left and gone elsewhere in the district. And, yes, it is true that there is an emphasis on ESL, second language learner's. All teachers must be possess an ESL Endorsement to get the job. The methods are fantastic, but the Hispanic kids do slow down the entire learning experience for all children. If you are not Hispanic, if your child's primary language is English, then I would never recommend this school (unless you prefer your child to be a role model for foreign or possible illegal children). Parents need to be informed about the tremendous amount of testing required of teachers during the day that always involves the lowest percentage of students - nearly all of these are Hispanic students. So happy to no longer be a part of this school. This school has lacked leadership for many years now. Very sad.

Posted March 9, 2012

I love everything about this school except for the parent lack of respect while driving before and after school. They don't pay any attention to the kids trying to cross the street and fail to stop at the stop signs and they speed threw the crossing none. They need a crossing gaurd by where the people turn out of the parking lot!

Posted July 2, 2011

I think parents need to visit the school not just the website. Funding has been cut very drastically for education. Echo Mountain is an awesome school, with a very hard-working staff who truley care about the students. Don't let a website turn you off, take the time to go to the school and check it our.

Posted June 30, 2011

I am placing my boy in kindergarten and was looking for information. I went to the Echo Mtn (and PVUSD) website to look for registration dates and information and found little. Neither website had dates available for registration (Fall 2011 semester) and I ended up calling district office. PVUSD also list some schools as having kinder pre-registrations but district office had no knowledge of which schools were participating. The Echo Mtn. website had registrations forms last updated from Feb 2010 while the ones on the PVUSD website were from Oct 2010. NOT very impressive right out of the gate.

Posted February 4, 2011

Great School. I am very happy with it! I am glad my child is enrolled in Echo Mountain. I love the teachers.

Posted June 22, 2010

I agree.. This is the US. And we can't stand back and just let this keep going in the schools. I would like to see the school teach english as a first lang to all students. I incouage you as a parent to write letters to who ever will lisson. Its a small step to make change. I am glad to see some one else is waking up.

Posted June 21, 2010

From what I am reading, it seems like at this school English is a 2nd language. Last time I checked we lived in America and if you cant speak the language than go back to your own country and let them pay for you!!

Posted May 4, 2010

Teachers at Echo are very hard working. Parents who complain about Make Your Day likely have children with behavior problems that they would like to blame on someone else. In Make Your Day, the child reviews their own behavior and effort. Any minor issues are simply addressed and discussed briefly. Children are more likely to take responsibility for these behaviors. A student would need to have 7 problems in the day for parents to be contacted. Parents only are required to come to the school if the student is violent, threatens violence, vandalizes, and the like! When I go to evening events, and there are many, it is a crime how few parents even bother to show up! Those poor teachers/staff members are there late into the evenings to provide assistance and fun learning activities and maybe 150 of the 600 students even show up! When I am on campus I

Posted December 9, 2009

they seem more interested in robotic children rater than providing a fun and healthy learning environment.

Posted February 25, 2009

This is my son's 3rd year at Echo Mtn and although we love the teachers and principal, I have to agree with some of the comments from the other parents. It seems that way too much effort is given to the Spanish speaking students and parents. I also see all the paperwork translated to Spanish and all school events have an interpreter present. I am first generation American and I certainly don't remember any extra effort given to my parents when I was in school. Afterall, aren't we an English-only state? My husband and I have also thought about changing schools but my son is very adamant about staying. If any school officials actually read these comments then maybe they will think twice about spending all the time and money on Spanish materials.

Posted May 4, 2008

The teachers seem to be great. My huge complaint against this school is the influences outside the classroom. If you go to a parent teacher night or any activity everything has to be done in Spanish. We've had forms sent home in Spanish and not English. We go pick up the kids and everyday there are older brothers/sisters there playing incredibly violent and profane music. We've asked them to turn it down and they told us to F-off. The lack of English is definitely slowing down the pace of education, just look at the test scores to see that. If you don't speak English, this is the perfect school for you. My child has been there for 3 years and we're moving this year just because of the school, enough is enough.

Posted March 9, 2008

If you like a strict environment where your kids can't be kids, this is the school for you. They really pride themselves on dicpline. The kids there do not seem very happy. Its not a bad looking place, but there is no joy there.

Posted November 12, 2007

My son has been going to Echo Mtn. for his 3rd year. Every year he gets better and better. I spent more time dealing with the Make Your Day conferences than I did a work. I am a single mom and cannot afford to leave work all the time. I also would like to say that I don't feel my son gets that proper attention because the teachers are dealing with the non english speaking students more.

Posted May 23, 2007

My daughter is finishing kindergarten and her teacher was just outstanding. I was very involved on an everyday basis with her teacher and my daughters education. I really like how even at kindergarten they have specials so they get physical activity as well as education in science and arts.

Posted February 27, 2007

We moved to Arizona from Maryland, my son went to public school out there and we had no problems with him at all. When we moved here I enrolled him in Echo Mountain. I had never heard of the Make Your Day program until then. Well my son was in kindergarten my husband and I spent more time at the school then we did at our jobs. We pulled him out of the school last year towards then end of the year and moved him into a new district. He started the new year and we have not had to go to the school one time for problems. My son has excelled in the new school removing him from Echo Mountain was the best thing I ever did for him.

Posted September 8, 2006

I have enjoyed the acedemic part of the school. The teachers are great. My kids are doing great in school with no problems they truly enjoy it. I think the make you day system is a good way to teach the kids whats right and wrong at school settings. My children enjoy it and they are learning i think that is the thing that matters.

Posted March 18, 2006

great school! my kids have gone to this school for 2 years. the curriculum is excellent. there are many functions the school puts on to bring in parent involvement. teachers also communicate on almost a daily basis with progress.

Posted January 11, 2006

My son has attended Echo Mountain Primary school for 2 years. The school itself has some great teachers who are dedicated to educating our children. I am not impressed with the way the school handles some of the displinary issues that come up, the principal is not always available to discuss specific problems that come up. I have also had some concerns with the bus transportation system that is provided. The buses do not run on time, and there always seems to be a shortage of qualified drivers. My son who was 6 at the time had to walk home from school one day because the bus driver would not let him on. There was a route change that I was not made aware of nor my son. Communication between the school and the parents is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Posted June 2, 2005

I am happy with my child's progress in this school. The teachers care and are dedicated.

Posted October 19, 2004

Echo Mountain Primary has dedicated and dynamic teachers. Students are set up for success and held to high academic standards. It is a diverse school that accomodates many learning styles and needs. Ther are great resources for teachers to draw from and the administration is extremely helpful. Overall, this is an excellent school with a nurturing environment and a qualified staff.
—Submitted by a staff

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 82%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now