Encanto School

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 664 students

Posted February 1, 2014

My son attended this school for three years and is now behind grade level in all subjects (along with 70% of his classmates). We have been extremely disappointed with this school and have opted to explore other option for our son. Less then half the students at this school are proficient in reading and math. I tried to contact his teachers regarding my sons academics and got no response. I tried to make an appointment to speak with the principal but he was "busy". My son's teacher told me that she didn't respond because she was "overwhelmed" which is not something we wanted to hear. She indicated to us by showing us a classroom spreadsheet that only two students in her class could count money and most were not at grade level in reading. This school is a failing school that has too many kids to monitor and not enough time to talk to parents. If you care at all about your child succeeding in life I would highly recommend doing anything to avoid this school.

Posted January 27, 2014

My son attends the dual language Kindergarten at Encanto and loves it! His teachers (Ms H and Mrs Endres) are superb. They are always available over email/phone in case parents want to discuss about child's progress. Very proactive and & encourage parent involvement...Academically, I feel this is a strong school atleast for kindergarten and gives homework. Homework comes weekly so I think its should not bother much. Its dual language program is the best part of the school.

Posted January 8, 2014

My son attended the Kindergarten dual language program last year, and it was overall a very positive experience. Academically, I feel this is a strong school, though perhaps a bit too much rote homework for K. The principal and the staff at this school truly have the best interests of the kids in mind at all times. The front office staff is absolutely wonderful and patient in answering questions and walking new parents through procedures. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is that I felt there was some bullying that goes on at the school, especially on the playground, that should have been addressed more directly. The school needs to send a stronger message of inclusion of diversity and intolerance for bullying.

Posted January 6, 2014

My son is in third grade and is constantly being bullied by much older students as they do not have adequate supervision on the yard. When I approached the office about the incidents they (office staff) told me that was impossible as they did not think it could happen. They then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't get an "appointment" to speak with anyone regarding my child. I do not feel that children are cared for or safe at this school. I have emailed the teacher about various academic things more then four times with absolutely no response or apologies . This school needs better leadership and better teachers. I would not send your child here unless you have no other choice. Even with all their so called "intervention programs" and extra money received from the state they still rank the lowest in the nation. I will be looking for a better option immediately for my child.

Posted August 12, 2013

My daughter has attended Encanto since Kindergarten, and she is now in 3rd grade. I love the face that Encanto is early education focused - it is PK-3rd grade, The students start 4th grade at Clarendon School (next to Encanto). My daughter is in the Dual Language Program that Encanto offers (as well as other schools in the Osborn District), which I would like to see more schools offer. I love the diverse student body at Encanto & the teachers interaction with all students. The teachers have always been wonderful & encourage parent involvement - they all have had an open door policy. I have never had a problem getting a hold of any teacher or staff member whether by visit, phone or email. I would give Encanto 5 stars except for 2 things: one is the fact that it is so hard to get into the afterschool daycare program because it fills up so fast - you have to try months in advance & your lucky if you get a spot, Not schools fault, just irritating. The only issue I have was once when my child was sent to nurse for heat exhaustion & I never got a phone call. Although she wasn't sent home, I would have preferred a call. For the purposes of education/learning I give Encanto 5 stars!

Posted April 14, 2013

My son attends the dual language Kindergarten at Encanto and loves it! His teachers are superb. The principal creates an amazing environment of responsibility among students and takes parent concerns seriously. The school communicates regularly and clearly with parents. As a parent, I especially appreciate the diversity of the student body and the opportunity for my son to learn Spanish alongside several classmates who speak it as a first language. I really cannot say enough good about this school! My only disappointment is that my job is taking our family out of state and my son will not be able to attend next year.

Posted March 29, 2013

This school district is known for their high standards and their ability to help special need children, but my experience with my own child has been the total opposite. In my experience they will not take the time out to help my child unless they are forced to do so. It is the end of the year and my child is an entire year behind, something that could of been avoided in the beggining of the year. I have one more child that needs to go to elementary school and this will not be the school for her. Folks I hope that your experience is much better than mine!

Posted May 24, 2012

My twin daughters just finished kindergarten at Encanto Elementary. They were enrolled in the dual language program. I loved their teachers and feel that the quality of their instruction was excellent. My issue with Encanto is that there is not a no tolerance policy when it comes to bullying and aggressive behaviors. Admittedly my daughters are timid and require nurturing to become fully active socially but they were regularly bullied and intimidated on the playground during recess. They were negatively affected by the aggressive behavior of other students and it decreased their overall enjoyment of kindergarten. I do commend the teachers and educational staff at Encanto for their consistent high quality instruction and care for their students. That was evident in their classrooms and daily activities.

Posted June 30, 2011

I am very happy that my children attend Encanto School in the Osborn District because I like that there is a program for dual language and after school pograms which allows me to work and gives me time to go and pick them up when I finish my work. Encanto offers many programs, for parents and children 0 to 5 years. It also offers parents the summer academy which is also excellent support for parents. There we learn more about everything related to the district, school, transportation, nutrition, and teachers. What else can I say, I'm happy with education that my children are receiving.

Posted June 30, 2011

Hi, I'm a parent with children in the Osborn district. My children attend Encanto and Clarendon schools. They began their education here, and have been there for 7 years. We have been very proud and happy with this school. I feel very proud of my decision to bring them here. My children now know that being a student in the district has made a difference in their lives. Both my children are bilingual in the Dual Language program. Also the after school programs offered motivate my children. There are various other activities like the reading picnic, fieldtrips, spring fling, kidsread the Christmas and Cesar Chavez celebrations. We shared and enjoyed learning, and above all I feel that the school is like our home where we have security, good teachers also classes for parents, an opportunity of being volunteers. I sincerely appreciate this school for years and the Osborn district for all the opportunities like the Parent Academy which is a great opportunity for parents, thanks to Solano school for opening the doors, and organizing these these programs, which continue to grow. Thank you.

Posted June 29, 2011

My youngest has just completed her third year at Encanto, and is graduating on to Clarendon. The teachers have been truly delightful! The music and art programs are fantastic. She s made great friends and has been challenged by the academics. The teachers somehow know how to teach to meet each child s needs. Several years ago when my boy was at Encanto, the teachers let me know that they thought he was ready to skip to the next grade- in October. We moved him into third grade and he has done very well since. The teachers here take the time to get to know each student and think outside the box to best teach them. I will miss Encanto, and I already know Clarendon is a great next step. My kids are all very happy- a welcome change from the school we d been at.

Posted January 28, 2010

well my two sons attend this school and this last past year i have had enough with there adminstrative staff who don't do there job's correctly i do love the teacher's i just wish they wouod have beter employees in the office area

Posted May 13, 2009

Encanto School is a warm, caring, and kind environment. The teachers on that campus are incredible and you can tell they love children and their job! Encanto has a lot to offer. My children love the after school programs Encanto offers after school.

Posted November 19, 2008

My child goes to school here and she is in a self contained classroom and also mainstreamed into regular classes and she loves it. When she first started school here she would have frequent outbursts and limited speech. Now she a calmer child and her speech has hugely improved. I would recommend this school to for any child. They are always have activities going on the school has recently been remodeled and it looks great.

Posted August 19, 2008

I brought my children (3) to the Encanto and Clarendon Dual Language programs after 6 years at an excelling charter school (Khalsa). I find the staff much more attentive to student's needs. My son needs speech therapy, and they scheduled an IEP (individual education plan) meeting within the first week. His old charter school had neglected to follow federal laws to serve all students over 3. My children come home glowing with happiness each day. I have wanted to switch them for years- I work for Osborn- and I have to admit that I was concerned that my children might suffer academically. Not so. They are challenged to perform at their highest level. They alternate between two classrooms every week learning all subjects in English and the following week in Spanish. They are happy to do their homework in English and Spanish- without reminding! Imagine!

Posted April 29, 2008

My daughter has attended this school for 5 years. She is moderately functioning on the autism spectrum. The teachers and aides here are phenomenal. They are flexible, listen to the child and parent and incorporate the latest autism teaching methods that work for my child. We had one of the top autism advocate - IEP consultants come in to observe and evaluate the autism classrooms and she was equally impressed and agrees the autism program is one of the best in the Valley.

Posted January 13, 2008

Encanto is the most unorganized and unsrtuctured learning enviroment i've ever seen. Their test scores are well below average and not improving!

Posted January 3, 2008

I have 2 children enrolled at Encanto and I love the school. My kindergartener is so excited every day to go to school and learn a new language. Highly reccomend!

Posted October 15, 2007

The new principal reacts quickly to parent concerns and seems very dedicated to the student success. I have been very pleased!

Posted August 20, 2007

My daughter goes here and loves it. Her teachers are great and she's in the dual language program. I'm not sure what the other people are seeing bad here, because I don't see anything whatsoever. They really work hard with the kids.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 4%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (602) 707-2340

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now