Public charter
Phoenix, AZ

Posted July 21, 2015
From assisting in the adjustment from public to BASIS to the teaching and enthusiasm of the teachers and staff, I could not be happier.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 21, 2015
My children both have had great experiences with teachers who are genuinely interested in the subject matter and the sharing of knowledge. Even in subjects that they are their "favorites", their teachers were still favored.

Posted July 12, 2015
My classmates and teachers are like family to me. Everyone is extremely supportive and encouraging.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 12, 2015
I am a current student at BASIS Ahwatukee and I'm very happy with the teachers at this school. I started at BASIS when the school initially opened in 2013 because my parents had heard such wonderful comments about the school. Yes, the curriculum is challenging, yet each teacher has always been available for tutoring after school and even during lunch. My Honors English Literature teacher, Ms.Myers is amazing. She helped me when I was struggling with my Shakespeare analysis. She also brought in a former Shakespearian actor, who grew up performing at the Globe Theatre in London, as a guest speaker. This was such an amazing, yet challenging class. Overall, the teachers at BASIS Ahwatukee genuinely care about their students and it shows. Some, like Ms. Myers, are more creative and enthusiastic than others, however, the diversity among teachers is essential to the different styles of learning. In addition to the classes at BASIS, there are amazing clubs and sports that students can participate in, as well as an incredible drama and music program, all organized and led by the teachers. I feel prepared for next year's exams and courses because of the dedication shown by the teaching staff at BASIS Ahwatukee. If you're looking for an easy ride and mediocrity, BASIS is not the school for you. If you want to be challenged in a creative classroom environment, BASIS should be your first choice. The classes are small, each teacher knows every student by name, and they are experts in their subject matter. They will not spoon feed you. You have to put forth the effort and do the work that's required, which isn't for everyone. I wanted to be challenged in a learning environment among peers who have a drive for success. That's what defines BASIS Ahwatukee and I'm so glad I'm here.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted July 06, 2015
The upper school teachers, except for the chemistry teacher, don't even know what they're teaching. The physics and biology teachers don't teach most of the topics that are on the pre comps and comps. Our grade last year had to cram photosynthesis and cellular respiration one week for the pre comps. And we learned more on physics tests than from the physics teacher. The English teachers are also very rude and passive aggressive. If they don't like you, then they're not going to be shy about it. The AP World History teacher doesn't even teach, he just tells students his life story in class . The economics teacher is a good teacher but he also shows favoritism. The chemistry teacher and the Spanish teacher are the only 2 great teachers in upper school. They genuinely care about their students and they're willing to help them too. They teach and prepare their students really well for the pre comps and comps. This comment is from a former student at BASIS Ahwatukee who has now left.

Basis Ahwatukee 1

Posted July 06, 2015
The teachers, especially upper school teachers, are ineffective teachers who show immense favoritism and most of them don't even know what they're teaching or how to teach. The upper school chemistry and Spanish teachers are the only great teachers in upper school.

Posted June 03, 2015
This is one of the best schools in the East Valley. Challenging school environment , well disciplined kids and excellent teaching staff.

Posted April 20, 2015
My daughter is in Basis Ahwatukee for the last two years and we are extremely happy about the quality of this school. The school is very academic focused and extremely competitive. Most of the teachers are well qualified. I highly recommend this school to students, who like systematic, focused and academic environments.

Posted March 16, 2015
As a current junior (2014-2015), and as a top scoring student, I have a love-hate relationship with Basis Ahwatukee. On one hand it is a LOT of work, but at the same time I wouldn't go to any other school. It is very rigorous, but you don't need to be a genius. A good work ethic helps, but what a student really needs to survive Basis is a thirst for knowledge. I would be long gone if I didn't enjoy the learning environment that the students and faculty create. If your kid truely wants to attend Basis, then they will get all the help they need to succede. One review said their student got 45min a week for help, but in my two years thus far I have only had one teacher available less than two hours. One teacher has student hours for nearly eight hours a week! (Although I would say the norm is closer to three to four.) Furthermore the social atmosphere amazes me because everyone *wants to be there*, kids get along better than at my previous schools, and here my nerdiness rules. Ask your child what they think and what they want, *don't force* them to attend Basis. The curriculum does not fit everyone; however, other schools always held me back while Basis drives me forward.
2 people found this helpful

Basis Ahwatukee 3

Posted February 04, 2015
For the most part, this is not a creative or engaged environment. Much of the material is presented as sink or swim, lots of 'packets' (and in one case youtube vids as lessons) and a lot of material for memorization. Frequently teachers dock grades significantly for minor infractions and are available to all students (all grades, meaning sometimes 4 different classes and several different grade levels) for a paltry 45 minutes a week. Indeed, if your student passes a class and does not pass the comprehensive final, your child will not be promoted. You're invited to take the test over - a single chance that takes place In August after the period in which you would be required to enroll him/her elsewhere. It would have been one thing if my child wasn't doing well, but that was not the case; it was simply demoralizing. Personal teaching and interaction are not the norm. If your child does struggle, don't expect teacher's to intercede, communicate or in any other way take the initiative; that's on you. It's not great; especially if you care about how your child learns and feels about the experience.

10210 S. 50th Place, Phoenix, AZ  85044
Last modified Basis Ahwatukee is a Charter school that serves grades 4-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Basis Ahwatukee Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top