Bad
Good

My son enjoys Explorer. In my experience the teachers have always been easy to communicate with and make themselves available to the parent and student if needed. Its a clean campus, they offer a variety of extra curricular activities, and in my personal opinion a great school. There is a Boys and Girls Club walking distance which helps with after school care.

As a former student, I feel the school was mediocre at best. Every single one of my 7th grade teachers was awesome, but the quality sharply decline in 8th grade. While I had one phenomenal English teacher, the rest were terrible in comparison. A few appeared to have anger management issues, which does not make for a good learning environment. However, this pales in comparison to my biggest gripe: the rampant bullying completely and utterly disregarded by the office staff and teachers alike. I understand that Middle School is a particularly nasty time for a lot of people growing up, but that doesn't give the staff the right to turn a blind eye to those in need. Getting punched and getting my head shoved into a locker were just a few of the many unpleasant experiences I had there. Also, any form of self-defense results in the same punishment as whoever started it, meaning you aren't allowed to stick up for yourself either. Overall, I only recommend Explorer for those who haven't had bullying issues in the past. Think carefully before considering it.

Average at best, going to the School board tomorrow to put a complaint in. The English teacher is disgruntled mess. I have never had a teacher blatantly not take responsible for her mistakes. As a concerned parent I don't want to be told what other kids have done, I care about my child and I am here to advocate for my son. She is the only teacher I have an issue with here at the school. The assistant principal is no prize either. When my son's hat was moved and ultimately was just a joke between boys she could't be bothered to go into a locked classroom to help recover it and let him go through a 4 day weekend thinking it was stolen. She was condescending on the phone, and although I have not met her in person I care not too. I am unhappy with a teacher that states she does not want the parent to solve the kids problems yet sends a email home weekly for you information. But don't consult her website like she states if you have questions because oh well it's wrong. She'll have to fix that. Twice this year. Oh and that's on your kid because she repeatedly tells them what they need to do. The website must be there for show.? Who knew?

This school is ridiculous! The assistant principal is worthless the teachers rude and I don't think the kids are anything worth mentioning. They don't care if they loose students and have even been told that if I am not happy with the school to find another! The teachers will stand in front of you say they adhd tell you they want perfection from your child but will not give perfection in return and then make a child with adhd feel stupid and even tell the class they have it! Can't wait to get my child out of here!!! Wish I could give negative stars!

I agree with the comments below about bullying. If your child doesn't wear provacative clothes or have a boyfriend or sexts then be prepared ot have your child bullied. Looking for another school where my daughter will feel comfortable being a smart, compassionate child.

This school has been amazing! I was a there for 2 years and loved it. Explorer has a wide range of activities and classes that make learning fun! The teachers are amazing and always lend a helping hand. The staff is nice, polite and all-round amazing. They offer tutoring for students who need extra help and the councilors provide a safe place for you when you need help. I have been very impressed with this school and wish I could have stayed longer!

Explorer Middle School has been absolutely wonderful! Not only do they focus on the student's education, safety, and overall sense of school spirit, the teachers and administrators make it a point to communicate with parents on a consistent basis. My son has had a fantastic two years at Explorer. Not to say he hasn't had his "challenges" that come with being a normal outgoing boy. However, those situations were always handled in a professional manner. I believe that due in large part, Explorer's curriculumn and emphasis on education is one reason why my son was accepted to both Notre Dame and Brophy Preparatory.

Explorer Middle School is a great school. They have 75 minutes of Math, Science & English. Other schools only have 42-45 minutes. That is key. This is a STEM school specializing in Science, Technology, English and Math. Imperative to student success in growth. Teachers are good. New Principal seems very nice. Overall happy in our 2nd year there.

Our personal experience at Explorer has met all of our expectations. Our daughter came from an exceptional elementary school and we fully expected her educational experience to remain the same at Explorer and we have not been disappointed. The curriculum is challenging and some of the teachers can have high expectations for the kids and that is perfect for preparing them for high school. Our daughter met a great group of kids and we have not witnessed any bullying issues. If it has occurred then it is very isolated and unfortunate. The school does have a bullying policy in place and our daughter is very aware of it and has not witnessed any bullying personally. We rated it four stars because every school has room for improvement.

The bullying is out of control at this school and absolutely nothing has been done. There are mean kids that the administration chooses to look the other way with. Something needs to be done. There are good teachers whose hands are tied. Don't open enroll your students here...

Last modified Explorer Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.