Phoenix, AZ

Explorer Middle School 3

Posted December 07, 2014
Average at best, going to the School board tomorrow to put a complaint in. The English teacher is disgruntled mess. I have never had a teacher blatantly not take responsible for her mistakes. As a concerned parent I don't want to be told what other kids have done, I care about my child and I am here to advocate for my son. She is the only teacher I have an issue with here at the school. The assistant principal is no prize either. When my son's hat was moved and ultimately was just a joke between boys she could't be bothered to go into a locked classroom to help recover it and let him go through a 4 day weekend thinking it was stolen. She was condescending on the phone, and although I have not met her in person I care not too. I am unhappy with a teacher that states she does not want the parent to solve the kids problems yet sends a email home weekly for you information. But don't consult her website like she states if you have questions because oh well it's wrong. She'll have to fix that. Twice this year. Oh and that's on your kid because she repeatedly tells them what they need to do. The website must be there for show.? Who knew?

Posted November 24, 2014
This school is ridiculous! The assistant principal is worthless the teachers rude and I don't think the kids are anything worth mentioning. They don't care if they loose students and have even been told that if I am not happy with the school to find another! The teachers will stand in front of you say they adhd tell you they want perfection from your child but will not give perfection in return and then make a child with adhd feel stupid and even tell the class they have it! Can't wait to get my child out of here!!! Wish I could give negative stars!

Posted September 17, 2014
I agree with the comments below about bullying. If your child doesn't wear provacative clothes or have a boyfriend or sexts then be prepared ot have your child bullied. Looking for another school where my daughter will feel comfortable being a smart, compassionate child.

Posted May 11, 2014
This school has been amazing! I was a there for 2 years and loved it. Explorer has a wide range of activities and classes that make learning fun! The teachers are amazing and always lend a helping hand. The staff is nice, polite and all-round amazing. They offer tutoring for students who need extra help and the councilors provide a safe place for you when you need help. I have been very impressed with this school and wish I could have stayed longer!

Posted April 04, 2014
Explorer Middle School has been absolutely wonderful! Not only do they focus on the student's education, safety, and overall sense of school spirit, the teachers and administrators make it a point to communicate with parents on a consistent basis. My son has had a fantastic two years at Explorer. Not to say he hasn't had his "challenges" that come with being a normal outgoing boy. However, those situations were always handled in a professional manner. I believe that due in large part, Explorer's curriculumn and emphasis on education is one reason why my son was accepted to both Notre Dame and Brophy Preparatory.

Explorer Middle School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
Explorer Middle School is a great school. They have 75 minutes of Math, Science & English. Other schools only have 42-45 minutes. That is key. This is a STEM school specializing in Science, Technology, English and Math. Imperative to student success in growth. Teachers are good. New Principal seems very nice. Overall happy in our 2nd year there.

Explorer Middle School 4

Posted July 31, 2013
Our personal experience at Explorer has met all of our expectations. Our daughter came from an exceptional elementary school and we fully expected her educational experience to remain the same at Explorer and we have not been disappointed. The curriculum is challenging and some of the teachers can have high expectations for the kids and that is perfect for preparing them for high school. Our daughter met a great group of kids and we have not witnessed any bullying issues. If it has occurred then it is very isolated and unfortunate. The school does have a bullying policy in place and our daughter is very aware of it and has not witnessed any bullying personally. We rated it four stars because every school has room for improvement.

Posted June 29, 2013
The bullying is out of control at this school and absolutely nothing has been done. There are mean kids that the administration chooses to look the other way with. Something needs to be done. There are good teachers whose hands are tied. Don't open enroll your students here...

Posted December 27, 2012
I am confused and dismayed at the negative reviews posted regarding bullying at Explorer Middle School. It simply doesn't go on at Explorer and I am pretty sure the reviews below are from one or two disgruntled parents. I have been an EMS parent and volunteer for 2 years and am extremely impressed with the quality and dedication of the faculty and the variety of programs that are offered for the students. As many have noted, the technology classes are exceptional and the growing music and drama departments are the best of any middle school in the district. About 1/2 of the students at EMS have open enrolled which means that they choose to go to school at Explorer. EMS also has the highest test scores of any middle school in the district. There are numerous opportunities to volutneer and you can get involved as much or as little as your schedule allows. The PTO is active and very supportive of the staff and students. They also have a fabulous fall festival that this the talk of the community every October.

Posted December 22, 2012
The bullying is out of control at this school. Something needs to be done. I am removing my child.

Explorer Middle School
22401 North 40th Street, Phoenix, AZ  85050
Last modified Explorer Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Explorer Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top