Foothills Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 385 students

Posted July 19, 2011

WE LOVE FOOTHILLS!!! My daughter started in 3rd grade there and just left to go to Explorer (middle School), and my son is been there since Kindergarten, now he is going to 5th grade. We absolutely love Mr. Riley and the staff! Even though I moved to another district I don't mind driving 30 miles every day to keep him at Foothills. My son loves that school! Every time we had a problem, the principal got involved right away and helped us with the solution. Mr. Riley is a wonderful person! I only have good things to say about Foothills and its staff.

Posted January 22, 2011

I LOVE Foothills. My son is open enrolled here. Foothills teachers care about the students. They meet before school, stay after school or give up lunches if students need help. The teachers my son has had have been his biggest cheerleaders. These teachers believe in their students! The front office is always warm and welcoming. The principal doesn't just sit behind a desk. Mr. Riley is out in the school with the kids. My son had an issue with another boy and felt bullied. The teachers and principal made it clear that students will feel safe. It was a team effort with even the elective teachers on board with the situation. There is no longer an issue and the two boys have even started to be friends! There is a very involved parents group too. No school is ever perfect, but I am very thankful that my son was lucky enough to have the wonderful teachers he had at Foothills. This is a GREAT school!

Posted August 31, 2009

I agree with the parent below! We pulled our children from Foothills a few years ago because of the bullies were so bad! Any school will have both good things and bad things about it. No school is perfect. However, every child deserves to feel safe at school. The Foothills staff did not stop the bullies. Taking my kids out of this school was for the better! My kids are now safe, happy, and excelling academically at their new school!

Posted August 30, 2009

I have some worries about Foothils. My child is new to the school and has had a hard timewith other children being mean, calling my child a loser and a baby. My child has tried to speak to teachers about this only to be told it not a big deal. I sure hope staff is not allowing bullies at school. I an to the point of removing my child if nothing is done ASAP.

Posted August 28, 2009

my daughter was astudent of kindergarten....i think this school is too good and her teacher Ms.Riggs is just wonderful...i have no words to express how good a teacher she is...we came from india and were in Phoenix for 4 months..i was quite worried as to how my daughter would do in school,but thanks to her i had not a single problem.....ours was agreat experience...thank you Ms.Riggs,Ms.Ijack,Ms.Elliot,coach andMr.Reilly.

Posted March 23, 2009

Foothills is a great school, My two children were attending a Charter School and fell behind, Foothills did all the right things to help catch my children up. We have been at this school now for 3 years. The principal is very active with the children & he attends 'every' school event. The majority of the teachers have been there for greater than 5 years and the school continues to challenge the children academically. Both my children LOVE going to school and partaking in the school's family events and academic extra programs. The primary disappointment is that there is minimal parent involvement. I encourage parents to come to the PTSA meetings and get involved. I agree, Foothills Elementary School is one of the best kept secrtes in PVUSD!

Posted March 16, 2009

Foothills is one of the best kept secrets in PVUSD...the teachers are excellent and the staff is friendly and caring! You will not find a better principal in any other elementary school around! What a wonderful experience to find that the school is focused on all the right priorities to keep a positive learning environment for our kids!

Posted March 19, 2008

My son is in kindergarten this year, and we love Foothills! Wonderful school, through and through. Caring teachers who are there if you need anything, and a visible principal, happy children learning and having fun learning (which is so important these days!) They seem to have a lot of after school classes/clubs, as well as lots of extracurricular events. If you are thinking of sending your child here, visit the campus for yourself, you will be glad you did!

Posted December 22, 2007

Overall, a wonderful school. I moved my kids to Foothills last year and have been extremely happy with the principal, teachers, extracurriculur activities, etc. Definitely a warm and caring environment for the students. I give this school an A+! If you are thinking of sending your kids here, visit the school and meet the principal, you will be glad you did!

Posted September 27, 2007

My child was moved from a valley charter school to Foothills. She has really enjoyed Foothills and has excelled academically at her own pace. The Principal is kind and caring and very active with all the events sponsored by the schools, he is ready to deal with situations head on and visibly enjoys the children. The teachers are experienced and the majority of them have been with Foothills 5+ years. The school has made changes to increase the safety and well being of the children. I am pleased with my child's personal growth and academic growth that has been facilitated and nurtured by the Principal and staff of this school.

Posted September 26, 2007

My kids are having a great experience at this school. We have been a Foothills family for 5 years now. The teachers and administration are great, open to communicate, love the kids, and are willing to go the extra mile in working with children's education. They've redone the front of the school, and layout inside--it's wonderful. The improvements are a real positive to the kids and staff alike. This is a wonderful, safe, caring neighborhood school.

Posted May 21, 2007

This is a fabulous school. I have two daughters who have attended the past three years. The teachers are very open to discussing and working with you and your child with any weaknesses in learning they may have. The principal has been very approachable and encourages parents to constructively discuss any concerns or suggestions they may have. The 'character counts' and 'make your day' programs have been very positive motivational tools. Overall I would recommend this school to anyone. Don't just take my word for it though. Make and appointment and meet with the principal and observe. You will be highly pleased.

Posted September 18, 2006

We have been 'foothills parents' for going on 10 years now. We could not be more pleased. The teachers have been wonderful. They make learning fun and exciting. Our daughter is excelling in High School and we believe that Foothills provided that positive foundation for her academic achievement. Our son is in 2nd Grade and is excited about coming to school and learning new things. All of the staff there is friendly and helpful. They have a fantastic leader in the principle, Mr Rielly. He is at every function with his fun ties and attitude. It is apparent that they all enjoy what they do. All of them as a team make this school a great success.

Posted February 23, 2006

Foothills is a school that has provided my child a solid educational foundation.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 1, 2005

I have a 6th greader and a Kindergartener at Foothills and I am extremely happy with the school and the teachers and staff. My children look forward to going to school every day and they are doing very well. The teachers are very caring and attentive to every student.

Posted August 22, 2005

My son/daughter have attended Foothills the last 3 years. They are having a wonderful education experience. Yes, I saw the test scores too, and that does concern me; but it's also what you make it. The teachers have been awesome, and CARE about the kids! My kids are involved, and I help out at school, when I can around my work schedule. Test scores are of concern, yes, but it's also what you and your child make it. This is a great school!

Posted July 18, 2005

Daughter goes there- very good school.

Posted May 18, 2005

Looking at the grades for this school. They look pretty bad. It is the school in our neighborhood though so we will probably try it out for next year.

Posted January 21, 2005

My children attended this school First through Sixth grade. It was a great experience for all of us. The teachers were committed and caring as was the office staff. Many of the same teachers are still there. We were very happy with this school.

Posted December 6, 2004

The school has improved in the last five years, and now has great leadership. The food is still terrible and the school cleaning crew is only so-so. The staff and teachers are excellent.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 62%N/A47%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now