K-8 & Ungraded
Public charter
Phoenix, AZ

Posted December 17, 2014
I am very impressed with the principal, Dr Leo, who is very professional and handles matters judiciously. My child had an incident with 2 classmates who questioned her ethnicity. After having a lengthy discussion the night before, she told a teacher who, in turn, told Dr Leo and the matter was handled swiftly. The parents of the classmates in question were called in that day and my daughter was called in to give her side of the story. The students were given a lecture about respecting other peoples culture and ethnic differences hence, the matter was resolved. I am so grateful for having a supportive administration. Her teachers Ms. Jallad and Mrs. Ehnes are phenomenal!!!!!

Posted July 03, 2014
To the parent regarding the testing process. Please call the school on Monday the 7th and I can help sort out any confusion regarding your child's testing. I am sorry about your unpleasant experience and I will try to help you get this corrected. Kathy

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy 2

Posted June 21, 2014
I am writing about the application process, which I think could be improved to allow talented kids to get it. The day applications for Fall 2014 were available, I was the first there. I knew there were only 5 spots available for 1st grade. We were told we'd be contacted In April for the testing, but his file 'got lost' and he was on a waiting list after that. He was given one chance to read a sufficient amount of sight words from a list. He had scored highest in his entire kindergarten at the local public school for reading sight words, so I know he could have passed that test easily. Instead he read only about 5 words, and failed it. The test itself took about 5 minutes, so I also believe the tester was rushing him. I think the scores at the child's regular school ought to be taken into account. In summary, I would love for my son to go to Hearn. I'm just not sure how they can base accepting a child on one 5 minute test when the testing area was loud and very distracting. They ought to consider the entire student, rather than sum up his abilities based on one sight word test. I am suggesting that in the future they make sure the testing is done in a fair way and a quiet place.

Posted June 11, 2014
The school is really clean and the first impression is very positive. The teachers encourage students to work hard and study. The principal is always available when I come by and takes the time to listen. It is clear why Hearn is an A rated charter school.

Posted April 19, 2014
This school is awesome. Not only do they teach the fundamentals of learning they teach our children about being good citizens and the golden rule! Love the fact that they do not shun God at this school and allow the teachers to mention him and their beliefs

Posted April 18, 2014
Hearn has the "family' feel"! I have felt welcome from his first day. I love that they take placement testing threw out the year to make sure the kids aren't being "left behind" they are learning at their level not the schools. Every quarter they take survey and everything I have ever had a concern about was addressed. So they are always improving!! My child is in 1st grade and he will attend Hearn till the end of his 8th grade year. I recommend this school to everyone with kids in K-8!! In fact 2 new student have enrolled because of me!!

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy 2

Posted January 29, 2014
The direction of the school since the last principal left is a downward spiral. The children no longer have manners, there is more running , rough housing and bullying . The school concerts are now awful, the children show no interest, the choice of music is too ethnic and the soloists should at least be reasonable singers. I understand children should be encouraged but not to think they can sing , when in fact they cannot. The education level has definitely dropped and something needs to be done to improve and return to the 5 star rating Hearn used to have and not the 3 star it is now.

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy 3

Posted November 21, 2013
My daughter has been at Hearn since Kinder. It's ok. The positives are the specials. The kids get technology, music, foreign language, physical education and art. After and before school care is excellent and my daughter looks forward to it. The downside is the lack of curriculum resources and there is not enough focus on math.

Posted October 29, 2013
Hearn is a really great school. It includes everyone. It does not push out students who require extra help or excel like the "traditional" charter schools that are so popular and rated as 10s on greatschools.org. Hearn's teachers are awesome. The test scores may be lower than those "traditional" charter schools but that is only because Hearn chooses to educate everyone and does not push out any student based on academics. Hearn's teaching methods are great. We moved from one of the "traditional" schools to go into the advanced placement class at Hearn. This class is years ahead of what is being taught at the "traditional" school. Hearn's campus is cute as a button and you won't find nicer staff anywhere! Hearn has a reasonable disciplinary and dress policy that is strict but allows children to be children. Hearn is the best without the stress! Differentiation is the way to learn and Hearn knows you cannot lump students of differing abilities together without some getting bored and others getting lost, so it tests, retests and places. If you want the best education for your child, a nice campus and small private school feel without the tuition, Hearn is the place to be!

Posted October 04, 2013
Our daughter is in 2nd grade and has been at Hearn since Kindergarten. We feel that they take great care of the children. The staff are always visible on campus and volunteer their time for the different after school activities. Our daughter was able to join the chess club in kindergarten and this is not a private school! They also have on site before and after care. The uniforms have been wonderful. There is a gate at the entrance which we like. I like how it is small and that everyone knows each other. I do wish that they would spend more time communicating with families about curriculum and upcoming events. I also wish that they would promote healthy eating a bit more with the types of food at the events and the lunch menu.

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy
17606 N. 7th Ave, Phoenix, AZ  85022
Last modified A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 131 reviews. Top