K-8 & Ungraded
Phoenix, AZ

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy
Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted May 31, 2015
Some of the staff has great hearts, morals and values. Kathy Griener is amazing, as well as a few other staff members but it's pointless when the rest of the staff is rude, harassing, and degrading to the students.

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy 3

Posted May 31, 2015
My daughter went there from 1st till she graduated 8th grade. At first the school was great. Absolutely loved it I had no complaints. Then a few years ago the school fell apart. Parents who did not work there would harass and grab other people's children and the staff Even though they saw it would not do anything. Even some of the staff talks inappropriate to the students. The bullying is bad as well.

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy 1

Posted May 26, 2015
Hearn Academy is a feeder school for kids who have been thrown out of public schools. As soon as that became a realization, I withdraw my kids from there. These ill-mannered students run the school, disrespect teachers to the utmost, and are highly tolerated by administration. They try to get teachers fired constantly. The teachers have very little power when it comes to discipline. Even though the teachers are good-hearted professionals, they often cannot perform their jobs because of lack of support from the administration. FYI: twice a year, admin prints out a survey that mainly highlights the shortcomings of staff and teachers. Even though specific names are omitted, it's easy to put two-and-two together and figure out who is being mentioned. That's not only unprofessional but demoralizing. If you have a good kid who loves to learn, do not put send him/her to that school. Their love of learning will be quenched. The honor roll system is laughable because just about everybody gets an A. Hence, the school is an "A" rated school. If you work there, teacher or staff, keep records of everything. You'll find out soon enough that admin changes policies spontaneously. If you are part of their small clique, you might be safe. If not, watch out. You were warned!

Posted December 17, 2014
I am very impressed with the principal, Dr Leo, who is very professional and handles matters judiciously. My child had an incident with 2 classmates who questioned her ethnicity. After having a lengthy discussion the night before, she told a teacher who, in turn, told Dr Leo and the matter was handled swiftly. The parents of the classmates in question were called in that day and my daughter was called in to give her side of the story. The students were given a lecture about respecting other peoples culture and ethnic differences hence, the matter was resolved. I am so grateful for having a supportive administration. Her teachers Ms. Jallad and Mrs. Ehnes are phenomenal!!!!!

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy 3

Posted November 16, 2014
This school is about average. There are some really nice aspects to it such as solar power, foreign language and a really good Dean of Discipline, Nurse and Admin. Staff. However, there are some really bad aspects that would be easy to improve if anybody cared. A lot of the kids are either bullies or use bad language and behave inappropriately. There needs to be more oversight of the teachers regarding how they treat children. The only thing that USED to set this school apart from the other charter schools (because Hearn is rated lower and has much lower test scores than other charter schools) was that Hearn understood and respected children. Also, huge communication/respect problems with parents. The foreign language changed last year from Spanish, to Russian and then to Chinese and nobody bothered to notify parents (and it still isn't corrected in the hand book). Last year, nobody bothered to notify the parents that the preschool wasn't opening on time. Last summer, when it was too late to enroll at another school, Hearn killed its AP classes (but still advertises them) and didn't notify parents. If Hearn can get back on the right path, it will earn 5 stars easy.

Posted July 03, 2014
To the parent regarding the testing process. Please call the school on Monday the 7th and I can help sort out any confusion regarding your child's testing. I am sorry about your unpleasant experience and I will try to help you get this corrected. Kathy

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy 2

Posted June 21, 2014
I am writing about the application process, which I think could be improved to allow talented kids to get it. The day applications for Fall 2014 were available, I was the first there. I knew there were only 5 spots available for 1st grade. We were told we'd be contacted In April for the testing, but his file 'got lost' and he was on a waiting list after that. He was given one chance to read a sufficient amount of sight words from a list. He had scored highest in his entire kindergarten at the local public school for reading sight words, so I know he could have passed that test easily. Instead he read only about 5 words, and failed it. The test itself took about 5 minutes, so I also believe the tester was rushing him. I think the scores at the child's regular school ought to be taken into account. In summary, I would love for my son to go to Hearn. I'm just not sure how they can base accepting a child on one 5 minute test when the testing area was loud and very distracting. They ought to consider the entire student, rather than sum up his abilities based on one sight word test. I am suggesting that in the future they make sure the testing is done in a fair way and a quiet place.

Posted June 11, 2014
The school is really clean and the first impression is very positive. The teachers encourage students to work hard and study. The principal is always available when I come by and takes the time to listen. It is clear why Hearn is an A rated charter school.

Posted April 19, 2014
This school is awesome. Not only do they teach the fundamentals of learning they teach our children about being good citizens and the golden rule! Love the fact that they do not shun God at this school and allow the teachers to mention him and their beliefs

Posted April 18, 2014
Hearn has the "family' feel"! I have felt welcome from his first day. I love that they take placement testing threw out the year to make sure the kids aren't being "left behind" they are learning at their level not the schools. Every quarter they take survey and everything I have ever had a concern about was addressed. So they are always improving!! My child is in 1st grade and he will attend Hearn till the end of his 8th grade year. I recommend this school to everyone with kids in K-8!! In fact 2 new student have enrolled because of me!!

A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy
17606 N. 7th Ave, Phoenix, AZ  85022
Last modified A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 132 reviews. Top