Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

Hearn is ok. It's better than the surrounding district public schools so don't feel bad if your children attend Hearn. However, it is not a school where you'd want to make a long commute. It keeps reducing opportunities for advanced students without informing parents. Children spend half the year reviewing the previous grade and then the other half of the year prepping for the AZ Merit exams. The administration makes huge changes without informing the parents (foreign language from Spanish to Russian to Chinese, math curriculum, dissolving the self contained AP classes, giving a few days notice that the preschool wasn't opening) and permits teachers to mistreat students. We had a great kindergarten teacher and a great 1st grade teacher, a 2nd grade teacher who had no control over the class and yes, publicly humiliated children routinely by dumping their desks and discussing the children in front of the class, choosing favorites and obviously ignoring others while not getting through the curriculum due to the lack of class control. This is probably why 3rd grade had to spend literally half the year re-doing 2nd grade. Now this teacher has moved up to 5th grade. This teacher also publicly discusses how she favors girls and how boys are trouble. Luckily the 3rd grade teacher was good except for the fact she literally yelled at students and the class as her form of class control. 4th grade-we were told my child would have a well liked teacher then got switched to a mean spirited teacher who again yells all day as a means of class control. There are also quite a few children with serious behavioral problems at this school -my child has been punched, pushed, grabbed inappropriately, cursed at, spit on and who knows what else by classmates. Next year we are going to Basis, a school that rewards good kids who work hard and lets them advance instead of holding them back and subjecting them to the whims of kids with behavioral problems and -a few but significant-disrespectful teachers like Hearn does. However, the reviews are right-if your child is the one with serious behavioral problems, Hearn is the best place for your child. Also, be wary of some of the 5 star reviews-the principal now requests hand selected parents to come to this site to write a 5 star review to improve image (that's why the older reviews are probably more accurate in their varying nature).

My wife and I love this school. Both of our daughters have enjoyed their time their. I am especially impressed with the Drama Club. Mr Kroeker is great. He really brought the inner actress out of my daughter. Their performance was fantastic. Looking forward to next year.

My 8 year old likes the food, the teachers, the subjects and the campus. As a parent I agree with my child and to add to her review the teachers and staff are very attentive with their students. Its a very comfortable and nurturing school. Very well coordinated and we just the love the school as a whole. its like being part of a big family.

We have been part of the Hearn family for a few years and we love this school! There is a great sense of community, and there are a lot of family events throughout the year, as well as community service. We chose this school because there are different levels of math and language arts in each grade level. The Specials classes are great - Chinese, Library, Technology, PE, and Art, which not all schools have.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They jump in to help when needed. They have after school tutoring that they might suggest to help your kid if they are having problems.

I had problems with my son from the beginning and they did everything they could to make it easy to go to school and be good. When he was moving up grades they would give him the best possible teacher for his needs and they just keep getting better. We have especially loved Mrs. Engle he has been amazing and most thanks go to her. I wouldn't choose any other school to put my kids in.

For grades K-5, Hearn Academy is a safe, strict, nurturing environment. We haven't gotten to middle school yet!

This is a wonderful school. I'm very happy with them and the services they offer. All 4 of my children love this school, as well.

I wish the world would understand there will never be any one thing we all love or even agree with. There will always be negatives just as there will always be positives!. There was a teacher from Hearn that I could not stand. Then i started getting involved in the school and saw how he was with his classes and staff members and he is now one of my favorite teachers to talk with and have a good laugh. It wasn't fair or me to judge him on the few seconds or minutes I saw him a few times a month. There is another teacher is has the rep of being too strict and harsh on the students. But if you ask any of the the past students who their favorite teacher in that grade was, she gets the majority!. . When my own child was struggling and I was looking for the right person to help her I learned this teachers passion was helping struggling students understand what they are being taught. She took the time and had the passion to help where i was failing. Spending more time at the school has also shown me how things are handled with any conflicts. The Dean of Students is amazing. She stays so calm and fair in all situations. Uses each issue as a learning opportunity. Most important thing is she understands these are children who need to run and play when its time. Not marched and kept down. Always reminding the staff of this. On the educational side of things my oldest has always struggled and its not because of the school. So many teachers have asked if they can help on their off time. Students are assessed regularly to make sure she is not falling behind. And if she is, she gets immediate help. I also have a kindergartener who came in way behind but has already graduated out of tutoring and quickly progressing. I am amazed how far she has come in a short time. The Principle is always asking the staff how she can help them do their job better and consistently asking students what would make their day better. She does everything she can to make sure students and staff have all the tools they need to be successful. Can you really ask for anything more? Please as you read all comments understand people write when they are mad and I know for a fact that a few of these negative reviews are from parents who still have their students enrolled or who brought their students back after they realized what a great school it really is.

I have two children in this school, and one is even in a 'dreaded' 2nd grade classroom. I have never witnessed anything resembling what has been described. This is a unique learning atmosphere where children are encouraged in a positive manner and should be held up as a standard to what education should strive to be. And to clear the record, neither of my children have been deprived of the lack of restrooms or drinking water lol. I wish good luck to the parents suggesting other schools are far better, here is one parent that hopes you enroll your child there immediately!

Last modified A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.