Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

My wife and I love this school. Both of our daughters have enjoyed their time their. I am especially impressed with the Drama Club. Mr Kroeker is great. He really brought the inner actress out of my daughter. Their performance was fantastic. Looking forward to next year.

My 8 year old likes the food, the teachers, the subjects and the campus. As a parent I agree with my child and to add to her review the teachers and staff are very attentive with their students. Its a very comfortable and nurturing school. Very well coordinated and we just the love the school as a whole. its like being part of a big family.

We have been part of the Hearn family for a few years and we love this school! There is a great sense of community, and there are a lot of family events throughout the year, as well as community service. We chose this school because there are different levels of math and language arts in each grade level. The Specials classes are great - Chinese, Library, Technology, PE, and Art, which not all schools have.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They jump in to help when needed. They have after school tutoring that they might suggest to help your kid if they are having problems.

I had problems with my son from the beginning and they did everything they could to make it easy to go to school and be good. When he was moving up grades they would give him the best possible teacher for his needs and they just keep getting better. We have especially loved Mrs. Engle he has been amazing and most thanks go to her. I wouldn't choose any other school to put my kids in.

For grades K-5, Hearn Academy is a safe, strict, nurturing environment. We haven't gotten to middle school yet!

This is a wonderful school. I'm very happy with them and the services they offer. All 4 of my children love this school, as well.

I wish the world would understand there will never be any one thing we all love or even agree with. There will always be negatives just as there will always be positives!. There was a teacher from Hearn that I could not stand. Then i started getting involved in the school and saw how he was with his classes and staff members and he is now one of my favorite teachers to talk with and have a good laugh. It wasn't fair or me to judge him on the few seconds or minutes I saw him a few times a month. There is another teacher is has the rep of being too strict and harsh on the students. But if you ask any of the the past students who their favorite teacher in that grade was, she gets the majority!. . When my own child was struggling and I was looking for the right person to help her I learned this teachers passion was helping struggling students understand what they are being taught. She took the time and had the passion to help where i was failing. Spending more time at the school has also shown me how things are handled with any conflicts. The Dean of Students is amazing. She stays so calm and fair in all situations. Uses each issue as a learning opportunity. Most important thing is she understands these are children who need to run and play when its time. Not marched and kept down. Always reminding the staff of this. On the educational side of things my oldest has always struggled and its not because of the school. So many teachers have asked if they can help on their off time. Students are assessed regularly to make sure she is not falling behind. And if she is, she gets immediate help. I also have a kindergartener who came in way behind but has already graduated out of tutoring and quickly progressing. I am amazed how far she has come in a short time. The Principle is always asking the staff how she can help them do their job better and consistently asking students what would make their day better. She does everything she can to make sure students and staff have all the tools they need to be successful. Can you really ask for anything more? Please as you read all comments understand people write when they are mad and I know for a fact that a few of these negative reviews are from parents who still have their students enrolled or who brought their students back after they realized what a great school it really is.

I have two children in this school, and one is even in a 'dreaded' 2nd grade classroom. I have never witnessed anything resembling what has been described. This is a unique learning atmosphere where children are encouraged in a positive manner and should be held up as a standard to what education should strive to be. And to clear the record, neither of my children have been deprived of the lack of restrooms or drinking water lol. I wish good luck to the parents suggesting other schools are far better, here is one parent that hopes you enroll your child there immediately!

I recently walked into a second grade classroom and saw kids with their heads down, kids walking around and kids talking to each other while the teacher was at the board teaching. She started to clap and holler at the class to try to get control but it was not working. I quickly left after dropping off what I needed to. However, at least she isn't the 2nd grade desk dumper teacher who believes humiliating kids is the right disciplinary action. I have no idea about the other 2nd grade teacher. Hopefully she is better. But there is a huge disparity in the quality of teachers. Some are very mean and scary while others are smart and nice. Some classes learn very little and the teacher lacks control of the class. And admin is clueless and apathetic. There needs to be some school wide policies on how teachers can treat students. The vulgarity from children and parents is disturbing. The adult content to child conversations is appalling. It is only the people who have no knowledge about learning theory and child development who could think this is an appropriate learning environment. The testing process is a farce as is the AP claim. AP classes exist only in name and not substance. All of the classes do the same work. Some kids get stuck in the lower tracks and can never move up even though they are doing the same work as the "AP" class. The parking lot/drop off and pick up situation is a complete nightmare. There are an alarming number of fender bender and pedestrian accidents. This is despite the hardworking parent volunteers. Maybe the principal could come out more and talk to the rule violaters. Hearn is a teach to the lowest denominator school. Kids at or above grade level are not given a chance to learn. There is also a huge turnover. Don't expect your child's friends to be at Hearn for more than a year or two. He or she will have to make new friends throughout the year and from year to year. Send your child to one of the higher rated charter schools in the area of you want them to have a chance to learn and have nice friends. Those schools have waiting lists for a reason!

Last modified A Ball Charter School - Hearn Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.