Hopi Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 766 students

Sweep tile

Posted Saturday, April 12, 2014

Hopi has a great deal to offer students as they have accredited teachers, many of the teachers have their national board certification as well. Their technology is amazing with IPADS, a computer lab, smart boards in every classroom and training for the teachers to stay up on the latest technology available. The parents support this school both with financial support through the PTA and volunteerism. It is a true neighborhood school

Posted April 8, 2014

We moved to Arcadia specifically for our children to attend Hopi. We have yet to be disappointed.

Posted January 10, 2014

For a very long time, Hopi has been the best school around. The recent door to door policy has limited parent-teacher interaction, however, and that has disrupted communication and involvement. The class sizes are absolutely out of control. The teachers cannot address the needs of 30 six year olds. Kids that do not have discipline problems and are "fine" academically get put on auto pilot and fall through the cracks. Despite the overcrowding, Hopi teachers are truly wonderful. The principal, Lori Colling, has made herself accessible to the students and parents, and even knows most of the children's names. Its so easy to have a quick chat with her in the hall or for my daughter to approach her with a question, and that is so wonderful. I like that the staff doesn't turn over quickly (although that may change with all the budget cuts), and it provides a sense of continuity for families. Even the substitute PE teacher is the PE teacher I had 20 years ago! Its amazing. So... Hopi is likely as good as you can find for an Arizona public school, and I am glad that my kids have had a strong academic start. Sadly, I believe we will be moving our kids to a school with smaller class sizes.

Posted January 7, 2014

Class sizes way too large, probably in part due to open enrollment. Teachers are generally solid at Hopi, but are set up to fail given the large class sizes with little to no aid assistance. Cliques are big issue here and unfortunately created and encouraged by snooty parents. New gate to gate policy has ruined the neighborhood school feel that Hopi once had. Socio-economic discrimination is rampant here. If your child doesn't live in a well-to-do Arcadia house, they will be placed with the lower tier teachers and don't expect to get invited to any b-day parties. Veritas, CLS and catholic schools provide better experience, both academically and socially,

Posted December 27, 2013

We absolutely love this school. My son is in 2nd grade and has attended Hopi since Kindergarten. It makes us so sad to leave Hopi after this year but we have to make a move to Surprise. The parent involment is great, every teacher my son has had is amazing and the school is so welcoming. My son has learned so much from Hopi and has made a ton of great friends which we hope to keep in contact with.

Posted May 23, 2013

I have two children currently attending Hopi. My children have completely different personalities and learning styles. The teachers are amazing and are able to determine each of my kids' strengths and weaknesses and teach them accordingly. My kids are excited to go to school each day as the school really fosters a love of learning. The staff is also very concerned about the children's emotional well being and are extremely supportive and responsive to any concerns the parents may have. When issues arise, the teachers and staff dedicate their time and utilize school resources to resolve them. I feel very lucky to be able to send my children each day to such a wonderful school with such amazing, dedicated teachers.

Posted March 25, 2013

I have 3 kids all attending or attended Hopi. In the past 7 years that I have been a parent at Hopi all my children have thrived. Each one of my children have different learning styles and the teachers at Hopi are able to help each one of them thrive in a positive environment. I have felt the teachers and staff are always looking out for every student and helping them succeed and most importantly to build their love of learning which will follow them all through their schooling years.

Posted March 24, 2013

I have pulled my child from this school. I was outraged by the teacher not wanting to take the time to provide my child with the tools she needs to succeed. Instead, the teacher wanted to retain her simply because she is the youngest in her class. My child attends another school and is excelling. I would tell any parent to be careful and really pay attention to what your child is being taught.

Posted February 8, 2013

I have two children attending Hopi-very different kids. What is great about Hopi is-both are thriving due to the exceptional teachers. Hopi teachers are masters at differentiating instruction and making sure that all levels are getting what they need. The communication with parents is tremendous! I have friends who text teachers at night and get immediate response. These teachers are committed, engaged and want to be there. I'm a believer in effective teachers being the most important factor in a child's educational experience and all the teachers at Hopi would qualify as effective. Lastly, the loving, supportive environment at Hopi makes it a very happy place for children. I'm so grateful to have Hopi be my children's educational foundation.

Posted April 26, 2010

The teachers are amazing, the kids are happy, the campus is safe and there are SO many parents involved!! We moved into this School District for a reason, we love HOPI!

Posted April 26, 2010

It is the best school because of all the parent involvement and the tight knit family community that has been formed as a result of staff and parents working together for the good of the children.

Posted April 13, 2010

The parent envolvement is stellar! The teaching staff is fantastic as well, this school is amazing!

Posted April 13, 2010

From the administration, to the teachers, to the parents, to the wonderful kids, you will not find a more dedicated and enthusiastic group. The resources are incredible, the education is strong, and it is a very positive culture.

Posted April 13, 2010

This school has provided an excellent atmosphere that encourages students' learning experiences and desire to excell.

Posted April 13, 2010

This school has a fabulous level of teamwork from the Administration, Teachers, Parent's Association, Dad's Group, and kids. Each teacher has special talents that nurtures and encourages children to learn. Love it!!!!!

Posted March 24, 2010

Hopi is a fabulous elementary school. I currently have two children attending Hopi, one in third grade and one in first. We have exceptional teachers and administration at Hopi. Both teachers and admin. have always been responsive to the needs of my children. My children are not super outgoing, rich or perfect, but they have found friends that are like them and are very happy. There is a place for everyone, in fact the PTA has and is working very hard to provide extras for all children, including a talent show, a science fair, and an art fair. I am also very happy that Scottsdale School District is transitioning to a new math program beginning the school year 2010/2011. This math program is very well rounded for all learners, and will align with middle school curriculum. We are lucky to be a part of such a great community!

Posted March 24, 2010

i truly think Hopi is an exceptional school with many different types of activities to engage the children. I have two girls, one in fourth grade and one in second. Neither have been bullied nor do they have problems with cliques or other issues. Every teacher my children have had have been amazing. the entire staff, from front office, to custodians, to teacher support are amazing. I feel the parental involvement is outstanding as is the dedicated PTA. For those who have issues with other parents at the school i find that you get out what you put in. I for one feel that most parents are caring and thoughtful, however some are not there to be your best friend. remember it is a school! however, Hopi is a very social school as there are so many parents always on campus assisting a teacher.

Posted March 23, 2010

I have 2 children currently attending Hopi and have had one graduate and move on to middle school. What I like best about Hopi? The number one asset this school has is parental involvement (mostly in the lower grades). The administration and faculty are phenomenal. We have never had a 'bad' teacher and as a matter of fact, choosing who we want for the next year has been a problem. There are too many great teachers to choose from! Neither my son nor daughter have any problems with bullying and I find other children at the school to be well behaved and respectful. So happy we moved into the area!

Posted October 20, 2008

I have 2 children at Hopi and a 3rd starting kindergarten next year. I have been very happy with the school. We have never had a bad teacher--all are extemely caring and dedicated to academic and social success. The current principal. Lori Colling, is very accessible to parents and truly wants both parents and children to have a good experience. I have never had a bullying problem, but I will say there is a certain degree of 'social pressure' especially for girls, which I think occurs in all upper-middle class schools. Other parents are generally friendly, though there are of course the occassional snobs. All-in-all, we love Hopi and are glad to be a part of the community.

Posted August 18, 2008

While there are cliques at Hopi, I've found cliques at other schools as well, including private Christian schools. I have found that the children at Hopi are, for the most part, respectful and well behaved. They are also eager to learn. My advice is to teach your child what a friend is and how to be one to someone else. Teaching by example is important too, as is having a spiritual and community base from which to glean wisdom and experience. Home schooling is certainly an option for some, but I am not willing to walk away from our public education system. When teachers, parents and administrators work together, children benefit. We have been very happy with Hopi.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 12%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5110 E. Lafayette Blvd.