Hopi Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted Monday, August 18, 2014

I and my wife highly value academics and come from backgrounds that regard education in general as the primary purpose of life at a young age. I think Hopi is an excellent school and the students learn a lot. I do wish they pushed harder and expected a bit more in terms of math, it seems remarkably easy what they do with regards to that. The only other downside of this school is that as a parent, I end up feeling out of place amongst the other parents; the school has some diversity ethnically but I think those folks pretty much are not involved much in the school. My kid's a first grader so I don't think they have clique's yet but I sense that as the kids get older, this may be a school where that is an issue; our children are probably rich and priveleged also maybe it would be better for them to see that not everyone is so fortunate.

Posted April 30, 2014

I have two children currently enrolled at Hopi and have been a parent at the school for the six years. I have been very pleased with our experience. We have been fortunate to have excellent teachers who have taken the time to determine what learning styles work for both my children. The grade-level enrichment breakouts for reading and math have helped my kids, one who struggles and one who excels. Some of the comments below suggest the gate to gate policy has changed the school s environment. I agree, it was fun to chat with parents outside my child s classroom door, but in light of frightening events happening at schools nationwide, I appreciate the responsibility the school has taken in protecting my children. The PTA at the school is amazing and fills many of the gaps left by the district. Many of issues facing Hopi right now are a result public school funding and district mandates. Lori Colling, the principal does the best she can working within strict parameters.

Posted April 30, 2014

I have a 2nd grader and kindergartener at Hopi and we could not be happier. The teachers are very kind, the classrooms are well organized and the parental involvement is terrific. We have met a lot of great families here and look forward to continue having our kids attend this great school!

Posted April 29, 2014

Hopi has had a reputation of being a wonderful neighborhood school for a very long time. You could certainly do worse, but we feel we can do better and have made the decision to go elsewhere next year. It's not so much about the override not passing - it's about the fact that the sole mission is to have balanced classrooms regardless of the consequences. If your child is smart and well behaved he or she must contend with crowded chaos in classes where there certainly is balance, because kids with disruptive behavior and lackluster academic prowess are put in the same class as serious students who are eager to learn. Some may believe this is training for the real world - we believe it serves little purpose and is a waste of precious time. We feel for the teachers, and the principal, but most of all feel badly that the system is broken and the only course of action is to get on the gifted track in order to get into the classes where there is focus and academically challenging work. We feel school is about many things, including forming community and making friends, but it also serves a purpose to prepare our children for a future - one that is entirely different than 20 years ago.

Posted April 29, 2014

We are fairly new to Hopi - this is our second year there...I cannot tell you how amazing everyone has been welcoming us as a new family into the school last year. From the principal taking us on a personal tour to teachers helping my kids adjust to a new school we are grateful for Hopi! For two years my kids have shown so much growth in reading and math especially - but the teachers go above and beyond, both in and out of the classrooms to make every day of education count for ALL the students. And as for the parent involvment, the PTA is the strongest I have EVER seen! It's a powerful, influencial, and positive group of parents and teachers who work endless hours to make Hopi a fabulous place with the best resources and opportunites. Hopi is one special place!!

Posted April 28, 2014

We have had such an amazing experience at Hopi with all 3 of our kids. The community and the teachers make this school highly successful and able to deliver a well rounded education to it's students.

Posted April 12, 2014

Hopi has a great deal to offer students as they have accredited teachers, many of the teachers have their national board certification as well. Their technology is amazing with IPADS, a computer lab, smart boards in every classroom and training for the teachers to stay up on the latest technology available. The parents support this school both with financial support through the PTA and volunteerism. It is a true neighborhood school

Posted April 8, 2014

We moved to Arcadia specifically for our children to attend Hopi. We have yet to be disappointed.

Posted January 10, 2014

For a very long time, Hopi has been the best school around. The recent door to door policy has limited parent-teacher interaction, however, and that has disrupted communication and involvement. The class sizes are absolutely out of control. The teachers cannot address the needs of 30 six year olds. Kids that do not have discipline problems and are "fine" academically get put on auto pilot and fall through the cracks. Despite the overcrowding, Hopi teachers are truly wonderful. The principal, Lori Colling, has made herself accessible to the students and parents, and even knows most of the children's names. Its so easy to have a quick chat with her in the hall or for my daughter to approach her with a question, and that is so wonderful. I like that the staff doesn't turn over quickly (although that may change with all the budget cuts), and it provides a sense of continuity for families. Even the substitute PE teacher is the PE teacher I had 20 years ago! Its amazing. So... Hopi is likely as good as you can find for an Arizona public school, and I am glad that my kids have had a strong academic start. Sadly, I believe we will be moving our kids to a school with smaller class sizes.

Posted January 7, 2014

Class sizes way too large, probably in part due to open enrollment. Teachers are generally solid at Hopi, but are set up to fail given the large class sizes with little to no aid assistance. Cliques are big issue here and unfortunately created and encouraged by snooty parents. New gate to gate policy has ruined the neighborhood school feel that Hopi once had. Socio-economic discrimination is rampant here. If your child doesn't live in a well-to-do Arcadia house, they will be placed with the lower tier teachers and don't expect to get invited to any b-day parties. Veritas, CLS and catholic schools provide better experience, both academically and socially,

Posted December 27, 2013

We absolutely love this school. My son is in 2nd grade and has attended Hopi since Kindergarten. It makes us so sad to leave Hopi after this year but we have to make a move to Surprise. The parent involment is great, every teacher my son has had is amazing and the school is so welcoming. My son has learned so much from Hopi and has made a ton of great friends which we hope to keep in contact with.

Posted May 23, 2013

I have two children currently attending Hopi. My children have completely different personalities and learning styles. The teachers are amazing and are able to determine each of my kids' strengths and weaknesses and teach them accordingly. My kids are excited to go to school each day as the school really fosters a love of learning. The staff is also very concerned about the children's emotional well being and are extremely supportive and responsive to any concerns the parents may have. When issues arise, the teachers and staff dedicate their time and utilize school resources to resolve them. I feel very lucky to be able to send my children each day to such a wonderful school with such amazing, dedicated teachers.

Posted March 24, 2013

I have pulled my child from this school. I was outraged by the teacher not wanting to take the time to provide my child with the tools she needs to succeed. Instead, the teacher wanted to retain her simply because she is the youngest in her class. My child attends another school and is excelling. I would tell any parent to be careful and really pay attention to what your child is being taught.

Posted February 8, 2013

I have two children attending Hopi-very different kids. What is great about Hopi is-both are thriving due to the exceptional teachers. Hopi teachers are masters at differentiating instruction and making sure that all levels are getting what they need. The communication with parents is tremendous! I have friends who text teachers at night and get immediate response. These teachers are committed, engaged and want to be there. I'm a believer in effective teachers being the most important factor in a child's educational experience and all the teachers at Hopi would qualify as effective. Lastly, the loving, supportive environment at Hopi makes it a very happy place for children. I'm so grateful to have Hopi be my children's educational foundation.

Posted April 26, 2010

The teachers are amazing, the kids are happy, the campus is safe and there are SO many parents involved!! We moved into this School District for a reason, we love HOPI!

Posted April 26, 2010

It is the best school because of all the parent involvement and the tight knit family community that has been formed as a result of staff and parents working together for the good of the children.

Posted April 13, 2010

The parent envolvement is stellar! The teaching staff is fantastic as well, this school is amazing!

Posted April 13, 2010

From the administration, to the teachers, to the parents, to the wonderful kids, you will not find a more dedicated and enthusiastic group. The resources are incredible, the education is strong, and it is a very positive culture.

Posted April 13, 2010

This school has provided an excellent atmosphere that encourages students' learning experiences and desire to excell.

Posted April 13, 2010

This school has a fabulous level of teamwork from the Administration, Teachers, Parent's Association, Dad's Group, and kids. Each teacher has special talents that nurtures and encourages children to learn. Love it!!!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5110 E. Lafayette Blvd.