Horizon Community Learning Center

Charter | K-12 & ungraded | 1513 students

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $185,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

Posted August 13, 2014

I have three children in High School attending Horizon Community Learning Center. I am extremely happy with the education they are receiving. The teachers and staff are excellent. All of my children are thriving!!! Anyone can make negative comments, but the US News rankings speak louder! Way to go Horizon, #8 in the state and climbing! I'm proud to say my children attend this school.

Posted May 4, 2014

The constant assault on HCLC in favor of Mountain Pointe and DV should be put to rest now that the US News rankings are out. Contrary to what so many seem to claim, Horizon is not just a top school in the state. It's a top school in the country -- gold medal and in the top 3%. I'm sure that Mountain Pointe is a fine school. But it does not outperform Horizon, It is ranked lower in all measures - tests, college readiness, all of it. Easily fact-checked at US News and World Reports. It's too bad an organized smear campaign is rendering the ratings here meaningless.

Posted April 4, 2014

School for misfits and parents who believe in protecting their kids, not a match for other High Schools, Mountain Pointe and DVHS wipe the floor with them, their students are no match for Tempe High School students, look at Nat Merit, SAT scores, EC's. Horizon is a school for ill-fitting, mal-adjusted, otherwise home-schooled students

Posted March 27, 2014

I love the school. My daughter loves the school. My daughter is now in 6th grade and I have made it clear to her she can always go somewhere else and she has no desire to leave. Her grades are excellent, she is engaged in her education and if it gets too easy, they bump her up and make it harder.

Posted February 7, 2014

Rude teachers and obvious favoritism in the classrooms. The teachers are uncaring esp. to those who are struggling. My child comes home crying. I witnessed a teachers make fun of a student in front of other students during class. Some Teachers exhibit bullying behaviors. Heartbreaking.

Posted November 27, 2013

The previous post is baffling to us. Our child attended HCLC for 11 years, graduated as a National Merit Scholar, with over 40 credits toward college (through dual-enrollment and AP), and is thriving at Barrett Honors at ASU. ...with writing and public speaking skills that rock. If prep for college was not rigorous enough for the student, it's because the child/parents did not pursue it...not because the opportunities aren't there. Add performing arts, school newspaper, National Honor Society, student gov't, varsity sports, community service, etc., and there's really not much missing here. The administrators, staff, families, kids, programs at Horizon are pretty tough to beat. There is no one single school (or individual teacher) that fits all: knowledge, research, encouragement, and advocacy are things we wish for every child out there.

Posted October 4, 2013

Great School, great teachers, great families. When you live in Arizona and you have young children, it's not always easy to find the right fit. I feel as an Ahwatukee resident, we are so fortunate to have so many outstanding choices in education. Horizon was the right fit for our family. We have a 1st and 2nd grader. They are both doing so well. They are challenged and assisted and cared for. The teachers are so hands on, so thoughtful and so wonderful at communicating and working with each child so they maximize their learning and development.

Posted September 23, 2013

My child started at Horizon this year in the 9th grade and has had a very rough time with the student and the teacher being very rude to him, if your child need a little help with school work don't put your child in this school, all they are worried about his the student that will make the test score look good.Very bad school.

Posted September 14, 2013

I am very surprised by the bad reviews especially considering the high school is ranked #17 in the state by U.S. News and World Report. Of the other High Schools in the area, Corona del Sol is #29 and Desert Vista is #33. Mountain Pointe wasn't in the top 50. When we decided to leave the Christian school we considered a lot of different schools for our three girls and Horizon came highly recommended by some teachers. So we packed up and moved to be closer to Horizon Honors. As is the case with every school it is not perfect so if that is your measuring stick you will need to look elsewhere, though I'm not sure there is a High School in Heaven. My girls are in 3rd, 5th and 8th grades. The two youngest our both in 5th grade math with different teachers. I appreciate how kids of different ages can be challenged in a way that is subtle yet encourages each student to succeed at whatever level they are at. For the most part the teachers and administration are doing a great job. Anytime I have needed to contact a teacher for any reason they have always been quick to response. I feel very strongly that you would be Blessed to have your kids at Horizon Honors. We are.

Posted September 4, 2013

terrible. k-5 is just ok, but after that - put your kids in public school, they will accelerate like you won't believe. this school is definitely NOT geared towards junior high Or High school - teachers have favorites and everyone will know it. I had two kids there and my oldest graduated from there 8 years ago and he Still holds it against me. my other had so much trouble there - failing in most classes and the teachers were Not there to help, so I pulled her out and she went to Mtn Pointe and shot straight to A's and B's. I now wish I had sent both of my kids to mtn pointe for high school. trust me, if you love your kids and want the best for them and want them to be happy - get them out of horizon.

Posted September 4, 2013

I have nothing good to say about that school. You need to be on lottery list then waiting list then... what? This is not the best school to be waiting for. People who works there are not very friendly, arrogant and not helpful. Please check all the facts before you register your child to this school. The best advise - skip that school if you love your kids.

Posted August 10, 2013

I have attended a total of 4 schools in my entire life and I can honestly say this was the worst. On contrary to popular belief, the academics here are very poor. I am now a sophomore at a public school in the Chandler district and I can say that not only are the honors classes at my public school more interesting, educational, and challenging than the "honors" classes at horizon, but there is an amazingly larger amount of classes to choose from than there are at Horizon. Also, Horizon has no extracurricular activities and I mean NONE. They don't even have a football team. Finally, the people there are generally unlikable. While I did meet some nice people, the majority of the students are kids who have been going there and known each other since kindergarten and they are not overly friendly to newcomers. There are also tons of cliques and as another reviewer said, the kids there act like they are better and smarter than everyone else when, to say the least, they aren't. Also, the teachers are generally unapproachable and uncaring. Excepting, of course, the ones that date their students. Long story short, skip this school.

Posted August 4, 2013

I attended from 1-9 grade but I'm going to describe my high school experience. Teachers are rude and harsh on kids for no reason. You could have a 100% and still be treated like a delinquent. Administration is incredibly rude especially if you're a student. Getting my attendance records when transferring was a nightmare for my mom. As for academics, don't convince yourself they are above average. I transferred to a public school, was out in all honors (I had taken some honors at HCLC) and struggled. My public school was much more challenging. At the public school we covered much more material and much sooner than HCLC (like reading a book freshman year instead of junior). Additionally there is no diversity. Everyone is very closed minded and judgmental. There are very few electives and they're all taught by the same 4 teachers. There are no good sports, everyone makes the team (and no football). There are very few clubs and the ones offered are poorly run and lack any uniqueness. Honestly don't put your kid through this place. Even younger grades have similar issues and some of their own.

Posted March 28, 2013

I am a successful, well-adjusted graduate of this school. I attended from K-12th and have never regretted my choice to stay there. I greatly enjoyed that my school was a smaller community than most. I felt that the students were very supportive of each other, and very frequently made friendships that went beyond the expected cliques. It s true that small schools are not the right fit for every student. Some kids seek more sports and elective opportunities and would rather not know everyone in their grade. Students who left Horizon went searching for the public school experience. For me the benefits outweighed the things I "missed out" on. I had teachers, passionate about their subjects, who cared about my individual education and did whatever they could to help me succeed. I am who I am today because of my experience at this school and my interactions with the community there. If you are a parent searching for a good school for your kids, I highly recommend HCLC. *Also, the drama program throughout the grades is phenomenal. If your students are musically or dramatically inclined, they will find this experience nowhere else.*

Posted February 4, 2013

I love this school! I looked dozen of schools for my daughter now that she started Kindergarden. Since the beginning I loved Horizon we were in the waiting list and was luckly called at the beginning of the year, she started on August 2012 and so far it has been a great experience. She loves to go to school every day, she started behind of what she was supposed to know when starting Kindergarden and I was amazed on how fast she was learning and now she is exceding her grade lavel. Teachers are lovely, and care alot for the kids. They do teach students at their level which is great since some know more than others and the ones behind they advance tremendously and the ones that are knew more are continously challeged! I would definetly recommend this school. Take this from a parent that did not care to drive 30 min only so that her daughter would get the best possible education !!!!

Posted July 31, 2012

If your student has already chosen his career and wishes to take classes that tailor to his choice, Horizon is definitely not the place. No other classes are offered than those that are general for graduation. Very little outside what is required for graduation is offer with the exception of musical/choir classes.

Posted July 25, 2012

There is so much I can say about this school. I went there from 2nd grade until the middle of 7th. At first I assumed this school was much better than public schools. This is false as I was learning at the same pace as the local public schools. This school is full of sheltered children, believing that horizon is better than others. All the kids I knew were extremely arrogant, close-minded, and rude. The same with the teachers. The office is very biased against kids that don't do as good or are not as well behaved. Once you do something wrong they expect that everything that is bad is your fault. The teachers favor specific students and sometimes even make fun of some ounto other students. This school is way over dramatic and i was miserable the whole time. Eventually my family got fed up and pulled me. Now I am more successful in public school and people are more respectful there. I would never recommend anyone to this school.

Posted April 22, 2012

As a current high school student at Horizon, I can definitely say this school is not for everyone. The school has a higher expectations of student behavior than the other high schools in the area, so be prepared for that. The school lacks many electives that others offer and there are not that many clubs, but there are some. (the best is the HS travel club, taking an overseas trip every year!) There are some great teachers, and some not so good ones. The office staff is mediocre, always have had a rude experience when I needed to visit the front desk. Parents are involved in the school, which is good. The sports teams are okay, nothing great compared to big high schools (which is expected). My biggest complaints with the school are: the lack of school pride amongst the students, which is completely terrible and a general dislike of the school is popular, how the school tries to keep its student body sheltered, and the lack of programs and electives for students. For these reasons, I plan on moving to DV next year, where I believe I can obtain a more rounded education than at horizon. However, the social environment at DV is probably a wreck compared to Horizon.

Posted May 25, 2011

Very Please with this school. As I only have experience with the K-4, I can only comment on this portion of the school. I do think the HS is lacking some extra activities and not sure is it's a great fit for select students. However the early years have been fantastic! Yes poor behavior is dealt with firmly, consistently and fairly. Curriculum is so much better then the rote learning at public schools. My child loves the Thematic learning style of the school.

Posted April 3, 2011

For years I thought this school was great. Had friends there, everyone knew each other, teachers cared, and small classes. Now I'm a freshman and I want to go to a big HS. It hardly has any clubs or elective classes that someone would desire. Honestly, the dress code is not high on the long list of cons. They're also very closed minded, (ex, homophobic, freak out about every little thing). The drama is amplified because the school is so small. Everyone acts like it's academically amazing, but a lot of kids fail there, and as you get older the teachers get more strict, cruel, and difficult to communicate with. I'm fed up with this school. Being an honors student, I feel if I went to a big school I'd have a better experience, more opportunities, and enjoy classes more. For example, I used to love english, it was my passion, I wanted to even teacher english in a HS one day, but I had a teacher, one who was very arrogant and expected too much, and now I hate going to the class. Honestly, think it over before you decide on it. They have no funding, they freak out if you say "gay" or "kiss", and the dances are horrible. I want a real HS exp. I'm also tired of everyones judgement there.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

n/a
Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

16233 S. 48th St.