Bad
Good

Awesome School. With an Amazing staff. I've only been in Arizona for a few months and they've made my experience here unforgettable.

This school is great for many reasons. The staff focuses on individualized learning and planning for that learning. They present and safe and nurturing environment where students can express themselves without the risk of being picked on or abused. In my 9 Years at Horizon never have I once been in or seen any resemblance of bullying, mistreatment, or unfairness involving teachers or student. I am well above grade level in all of my subjects and they are able to adapt to that and give me the challenging material that allows my learning to grow each day I step on campus. All in all, I strongly vouch for this school to all parents and student and believe that Horizon is the best choice for you.

One of the strongest aspects of Horizon is their ability to individualize and differentiate instruction for all levels of learning. My child if reading at a level that would not ever be addressed let alone challenged in a public school but at Horizon, they evaluated and placed him at an appropriate level with his peers. Most schools are not able to meet the needs of children performing above grade level. They are more concerned and focused on the students performing below grade level. We tried a public school and this was our experience. I highly recommend Horizon because not only do they individualize but the students recieve Physical Education EVERYDAY , they also get Spanish, Music and Communication every quarter. In addition, they have Project Group every afternoon to challenge reading, writing, science, and language arts skills while they work on groups and learn about leadership and being a team player. All learning is then demonstrated to parents at the quarterly Summative where we are continually excited and impressed by Horizon. The school also encourages students to be leaders and be socially aware of issues within the school and the community. I love this school and am continually amazed at my child experience at Horizon. My son even told me, that if Horizon went through College, he would stay. Since the school ends in High School, we will probably have to part there unless they develop college level courses....

I found out that I have high functioning autism as an adult. The teachers at this school never once mentioned to my mother that I might have to be evaluated for any kind of learning disability. While I was showing many signs of needing to be evaluated, the teachers were telling other students to "just ignore her". Well, being ignored for years has now cost me important time in my life where I needed to learn special skills to further my education and become a capable adult. So, my advice to the teachers and parents is to take warning signs very seriously. These are human lives you're dealing with and you could end up costing someone their childhood and furthering problems through adulthood.

Develops character: Disagree

Students at this school are not treated fairly. Troubled students are placed to the side so "normal" students can continue learning.

Our daughter began attending Horizon in sixth grade. She is now in the ninth grade. The teachers are passionate, the curriculum is rigorous, and teaches students to critically think. The school is preparing students for the future by motivating them to think critically, analyze, and synthesize information. We have been very pleased with the school, administration, and teachers. Great option to overcrowded Kyrene schools, which we have also experienced. Kyrene, in contrast has a lack of focus on academics and more focus on technology.

I was a parent for many years and I am now a staff member. I loved it as a parent and I love it even more as staff. These teachers are really working very hard for your kids. I am behind the scenes and I see it. I have moved around and been to many schools. Horizon outranks everything out there in the Kyrene district hands down.

We reviewed this school among other top charter (BASIS) and private schools (Phoenix Country Day and New Vistas) for it's elementary program. We were disappointed. The tour was given by two fifth grade students which we felt was unprofessional. Any serious school offers tours by teachers or faculty members. We are seeking a school with some diversity as we feel this enhances the educational process. Upon first glance, some of the classrooms were all white while other classes had only 1 or 2 minority students. The kindergarten classes appeared small with 25-30 kids cramped into one class. They had 4 of these rooms. Hot meals are also not provided to kindergarten students. I also didn't appreciate how grade levels are merged into the same classroom. Kindergarten was separate but the other classes were arranged with 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 being in the same class rooms. I had the opportunity to observe one of the first grade teachers reading a book. It was a picture book with large big print. My child is 4 yo and can read that now. I can't imagine that they would read that to 6-7 year olds. It's a fine school but not for families seeking the most academically rigorous one.

I have three children in High School attending Horizon Community Learning Center. I am extremely happy with the education they are receiving. The teachers and staff are excellent. All of my children are thriving!!! Anyone can make negative comments, but the US News rankings speak louder! Way to go Horizon, #8 in the state and climbing! I'm proud to say my children attend this school.

The constant assault on HCLC in favor of Mountain Pointe and DV should be put to rest now that the US News rankings are out. Contrary to what so many seem to claim, Horizon is not just a top school in the state. It's a top school in the country -- gold medal and in the top 3%. I'm sure that Mountain Pointe is a fine school. But it does not outperform Horizon, It is ranked lower in all measures - tests, college readiness, all of it. Easily fact-checked at US News and World Reports. It's too bad an organized smear campaign is rendering the ratings here meaningless.

Last modified Horizon Honors Secondary School is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.