Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (2 responses)

Horizon Honors Secondary School 1

Posted June 24, 2016
I found out that I have high functioning autism as an adult. The teachers at this school never once mentioned to my mother that I might have to be evaluated for any kind of learning disability. While I was showing many signs of needing to be evaluated, the teachers were telling other students to "just ignore her". Well, being ignored for years has now cost me important time in my life where I needed to learn special skills to further my education and become a capable adult. So, my advice to the teachers and parents is to take warning signs very seriously. These are human lives you're dealing with and you could end up costing someone their childhood and furthering problems through adulthood.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted June 24, 2016
Students are taught to ignore struggling students. Which results in bullying and serious superiority complexes.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 24, 2016
Students at this school are not treated fairly. Troubled students are placed to the side so "normal" students can continue learning.

Posted December 11, 2015
Our daughter began attending Horizon in sixth grade. She is now in the ninth grade. The teachers are passionate, the curriculum is rigorous, and teaches students to critically think. The school is preparing students for the future by motivating them to think critically, analyze, and synthesize information. We have been very pleased with the school, administration, and teachers. Great option to overcrowded Kyrene schools, which we have also experienced. Kyrene, in contrast has a lack of focus on academics and more focus on technology.

Posted November 17, 2015
I was a parent for many years and I am now a staff member. I loved it as a parent and I love it even more as staff. These teachers are really working very hard for your kids. I am behind the scenes and I see it. I have moved around and been to many schools. Horizon outranks everything out there in the Kyrene district hands down.

Horizon Honors Secondary School 3

Posted December 08, 2014
We reviewed this school among other top charter (BASIS) and private schools (Phoenix Country Day and New Vistas) for it's elementary program. We were disappointed. The tour was given by two fifth grade students which we felt was unprofessional. Any serious school offers tours by teachers or faculty members. We are seeking a school with some diversity as we feel this enhances the educational process. Upon first glance, some of the classrooms were all white while other classes had only 1 or 2 minority students. The kindergarten classes appeared small with 25-30 kids cramped into one class. They had 4 of these rooms. Hot meals are also not provided to kindergarten students. I also didn't appreciate how grade levels are merged into the same classroom. Kindergarten was separate but the other classes were arranged with 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 being in the same class rooms. I had the opportunity to observe one of the first grade teachers reading a book. It was a picture book with large big print. My child is 4 yo and can read that now. I can't imagine that they would read that to 6-7 year olds. It's a fine school but not for families seeking the most academically rigorous one.

Posted August 13, 2014
I have three children in High School attending Horizon Community Learning Center. I am extremely happy with the education they are receiving. The teachers and staff are excellent. All of my children are thriving!!! Anyone can make negative comments, but the US News rankings speak louder! Way to go Horizon, #8 in the state and climbing! I'm proud to say my children attend this school.

Posted May 04, 2014
The constant assault on HCLC in favor of Mountain Pointe and DV should be put to rest now that the US News rankings are out. Contrary to what so many seem to claim, Horizon is not just a top school in the state. It's a top school in the country -- gold medal and in the top 3%. I'm sure that Mountain Pointe is a fine school. But it does not outperform Horizon, It is ranked lower in all measures - tests, college readiness, all of it. Easily fact-checked at US News and World Reports. It's too bad an organized smear campaign is rendering the ratings here meaningless.

Horizon Honors Secondary School 1

Posted April 04, 2014
School for misfits and parents who believe in protecting their kids, not a match for other High Schools, Mountain Pointe and DVHS wipe the floor with them, their students are no match for Tempe High School students, look at Nat Merit, SAT scores, EC's. Horizon is a school for ill-fitting, mal-adjusted, otherwise home-schooled students

Posted March 27, 2014
I love the school. My daughter loves the school. My daughter is now in 6th grade and I have made it clear to her she can always go somewhere else and she has no desire to leave. Her grades are excellent, she is engaged in her education and if it gets too easy, they bump her up and make it harder.

16233 S. 48th St., Phoenix, AZ  85048
Last modified Horizon Honors Secondary School is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.