Public charter
Phoenix, AZ
Before care: Yes

Horizon Honors Secondary School 3

Posted December 08, 2014
We reviewed this school among other top charter (BASIS) and private schools (Phoenix Country Day and New Vistas) for it's elementary program. We were disappointed. The tour was given by two fifth grade students which we felt was unprofessional. Any serious school offers tours by teachers or faculty members. We are seeking a school with some diversity as we feel this enhances the educational process. Upon first glance, some of the classrooms were all white while other classes had only 1 or 2 minority students. The kindergarten classes appeared small with 25-30 kids cramped into one class. They had 4 of these rooms. Hot meals are also not provided to kindergarten students. I also didn't appreciate how grade levels are merged into the same classroom. Kindergarten was separate but the other classes were arranged with 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 being in the same class rooms. I had the opportunity to observe one of the first grade teachers reading a book. It was a picture book with large big print. My child is 4 yo and can read that now. I can't imagine that they would read that to 6-7 year olds. It's a fine school but not for families seeking the most academically rigorous one.

Posted August 13, 2014
I have three children in High School attending Horizon Community Learning Center. I am extremely happy with the education they are receiving. The teachers and staff are excellent. All of my children are thriving!!! Anyone can make negative comments, but the US News rankings speak louder! Way to go Horizon, #8 in the state and climbing! I'm proud to say my children attend this school.

Posted May 04, 2014
The constant assault on HCLC in favor of Mountain Pointe and DV should be put to rest now that the US News rankings are out. Contrary to what so many seem to claim, Horizon is not just a top school in the state. It's a top school in the country -- gold medal and in the top 3%. I'm sure that Mountain Pointe is a fine school. But it does not outperform Horizon, It is ranked lower in all measures - tests, college readiness, all of it. Easily fact-checked at US News and World Reports. It's too bad an organized smear campaign is rendering the ratings here meaningless.

Posted April 04, 2014
School for misfits and parents who believe in protecting their kids, not a match for other High Schools, Mountain Pointe and DVHS wipe the floor with them, their students are no match for Tempe High School students, look at Nat Merit, SAT scores, EC's. Horizon is a school for ill-fitting, mal-adjusted, otherwise home-schooled students

Posted March 27, 2014
I love the school. My daughter loves the school. My daughter is now in 6th grade and I have made it clear to her she can always go somewhere else and she has no desire to leave. Her grades are excellent, she is engaged in her education and if it gets too easy, they bump her up and make it harder.

Posted February 07, 2014
Rude teachers and obvious favoritism in the classrooms. The teachers are uncaring esp. to those who are struggling. My child comes home crying. I witnessed a teachers make fun of a student in front of other students during class. Some Teachers exhibit bullying behaviors. Heartbreaking.

Posted November 27, 2013
The previous post is baffling to us. Our child attended HCLC for 11 years, graduated as a National Merit Scholar, with over 40 credits toward college (through dual-enrollment and AP), and is thriving at Barrett Honors at ASU. ...with writing and public speaking skills that rock. If prep for college was not rigorous enough for the student, it's because the child/parents did not pursue it...not because the opportunities aren't there. Add performing arts, school newspaper, National Honor Society, student gov't, varsity sports, community service, etc., and there's really not much missing here. The administrators, staff, families, kids, programs at Horizon are pretty tough to beat. There is no one single school (or individual teacher) that fits all: knowledge, research, encouragement, and advocacy are things we wish for every child out there.

Posted October 04, 2013
Great School, great teachers, great families. When you live in Arizona and you have young children, it's not always easy to find the right fit. I feel as an Ahwatukee resident, we are so fortunate to have so many outstanding choices in education. Horizon was the right fit for our family. We have a 1st and 2nd grader. They are both doing so well. They are challenged and assisted and cared for. The teachers are so hands on, so thoughtful and so wonderful at communicating and working with each child so they maximize their learning and development.

Posted September 23, 2013
My child started at Horizon this year in the 9th grade and has had a very rough time with the student and the teacher being very rude to him, if your child need a little help with school work don't put your child in this school, all they are worried about his the student that will make the test score look good.Very bad school.

Posted September 14, 2013
I am very surprised by the bad reviews especially considering the high school is ranked #17 in the state by U.S. News and World Report. Of the other High Schools in the area, Corona del Sol is #29 and Desert Vista is #33. Mountain Pointe wasn't in the top 50. When we decided to leave the Christian school we considered a lot of different schools for our three girls and Horizon came highly recommended by some teachers. So we packed up and moved to be closer to Horizon Honors. As is the case with every school it is not perfect so if that is your measuring stick you will need to look elsewhere, though I'm not sure there is a High School in Heaven. My girls are in 3rd, 5th and 8th grades. The two youngest our both in 5th grade math with different teachers. I appreciate how kids of different ages can be challenged in a way that is subtle yet encourages each student to succeed at whatever level they are at. For the most part the teachers and administration are doing a great job. Anytime I have needed to contact a teacher for any reason they have always been quick to response. I feel very strongly that you would be Blessed to have your kids at Horizon Honors. We are.

Horizon Honors Secondary School
16233 S. 48th St., Phoenix, AZ  85048
Last modified Horizon Honors Secondary School is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horizon Honors Secondary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 100 reviews. Top