Khalsa Montessori Elementary School - Phoenix

Charter | K-6 | 170 students

Living in Phoenix

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted Friday, April 18, 2014

This school has been great for my kids. It is not perfect, but no school is. I have never had any problems with the administration, but to be fair, I've not had much occasion to deal with them. On occasion, my kids complain about certain teachers being mean, but that's life...we will not like everyone we meet, and we need to learn to deal with people whose personalities don't jive with ours. This is a small school with limited resources, so if you are expecting all the bells and whistles, this may not be the school for you. I believe my children are getting a top notch education and I am grateful that they have been able to attend Khalsa Montessori.

Posted April 16, 2014

We are finishing our fifth year at Khalsa. I now have two children attending (each with very different personalities and learning styles). I am delighted with the education they are receiving. Khalsa is not for helicopter parents. Kids learn to be self-reliant and self-motivated. It is amazing how much responsibility you can successfully give a child. As the children move into elementary, the academics are fantastic. They get a fair amount of homework, but it teaches them organization and time management. The best part? Unlike my friends who struggle to help their children with homework, Khalsa does not create busy work for parents. Parents are expected to contribute to the school community, but are not saddled with micromanaging their kids art/science/whatever take-home projects. If you need daily updates from your child's teacher, you won't get it here. But I have found the teachers and administration to be responsive when something comes up. Both of my children love going to school each morning and are full of smiles (and dirt) when I pick them up each afternoon. I don't think there is a better endorsement for a school than that.

Posted March 19, 2014

Khalsa is known as "pure Montessori" by anyone who is familiar with the school. You will find other Montessori schools in Phoenix, but none who follow this method of teaching by student initiated learning and experimentation as well as Khalsa. Three of my children have gone here and are curious about the world and their environment and enjoy getting up every day and going to school. They have deep friendships due to the small family-like environment of the school and have traditional reading/math skills that exceed their neighborhood friends at the public school. I highly recommend Khalsa and am glad to be a part of this diverse and humble environment.

Posted February 5, 2014

If you'd rather write a check than volunteer to help with a school event--move on, this probably isn't the school for you. If you are wary of dumbed-down public school curricula, and are willing to engage as a member of the school community and as a team member in your child's education, check out Khalsa. My daughter was "held back" due to a learning disability, but the extra time to mature, and to experience the full Montessori growth cycles, has been beneficial in her high school years. Teachers and admin were proactive about designing a sensible IEP, and regularly evaluating and adjusting it. The sense of community and belonging during her Khalsa years has made my child a more engaged and involved citizen of her high school. KMES is a tough school, with no sports and few extra-curricular offerings. Some parents find certain teachers off-putting, the admin unyielding, and the curriculum too demanding, and some kids don't make it through. But the academic and emotional rewards for those who graduate are core-forming and lasting. God bless Maria Montessori!

Posted January 26, 2014

Special looks like retention or telling the parents their child is not a good fit for Montessori.

Posted January 13, 2014

Original posts have been removed. Mine no longer are on here. I had 2 children at Khalsa. We love this school. We had 2 children that attended up until the oldest went to lower elementary. I have nothing good to say about the administration. It is horrible how they treat the parents instating that there is something wrong with their child. We spent a substantial amount of money based on their recommendations. There was nothing wrong with our children. They are at Faith North and flourishing. The staff at Primary were awesome, compassionate and understanding. The administration is not.

Posted January 13, 2014

I was very unhappy with the administration here. They were so disrespectful to parents. It was never their fault, either the parents needed therapy or the child had a learning disability or needed therapy. They like to diagnose your child with no qualifications to do so. Also, school has no sports and no music program.

Posted October 25, 2013

It appears that a number of reviews have been removed as evidenced by references to dates for reviews not present. How can this site provide a thorough representation of a school when reviews are being removed???

Posted October 24, 2013

This is an unusual, terrific school. The teachers keep in close contact with the parents, the students do yoga, garden, learn Spanish and are taught to be good stewards of the environment. I'm happy my students attend this school!

Posted July 29, 2013

My son just completed the lower elementary cycle at Khalsa. He has been a Montessori kid since he was a toddler. We absolutely loved the philosophy and practice of the whole Montessori environment. This is a wonderful school, with a great and caring staff that really gets to know your child inside and out. We owe his love for learning to his Montessori experience!

Posted June 12, 2013

Khalsa Montessori Elementary School is the very best choice I have ever made for my daughter! After completing her first year, my six year old has excelled in EVERY way. She is excited to keep learning more and more each day. It is truly a blessing to have her attend a school where I KNOW her best educational interest is at the heart of the staff. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL!

Posted May 8, 2013

What potential this school has. Too bad the administration is a nightmare to deal with. Self-righteous with an inability to listen, close minded to suggestions, and often aggressive in tone and response - it's no cake walk. Basic communication principles and empathy is missed completely. There is a shortness and tone that is unforgiving at Khalsa. Frankly, given the age of the facilities, lack of amenities, and total lack of teacher accreditations, Khalsa should be falling all over themselves to create functional parent/administration relationships. Looking at staff bios on the school website you will find that few staff member are accredited by the Montessori Accreditation Council. Basically, if you breathe and do yoga you can teach there. Lots of students are being held back, perhaps it is time for the administration to look at themselves. I still love Montessori, but sadly, this current administration completely misses the lessons of Maria Montessori with their militant style. I think I would like my kids to learn from someone with people skills instead. We will be enrolling at a different Montessori school that closer meets the needs of our kids.

Posted February 12, 2013

I cannot speak highly enough about Khalsa Montessori School. Our son started at Khalsa when he was 4; he is now in the upper elementary program and thriving. The academic and social progress he has made; his sense of Self, self-confidence and self-awareness; his curiosity about and respect for the greater world around him; everything about his education and development has benefited tremendously from his time at Khalsa. As parents, we are grateful for the open communication that exists between and among teachers, administrators and other Khalsa families. It is a community in the true sense of the word. We look forward to our younger son (hopefully) starting in the Primary program next year; hopefully his experience will be just as rewarding for him.

Posted January 21, 2013

I am a parent of a student at Khalsa. I am deeply saddened to read some of these recent reviews. Khalsa is a Montessori school. This is a very unique way of teaching and often misunderstood. I encourage any parent thinking about sending their child to Khalsa, to do some research on the Montessori ways of teaching. I can speak for myself and say that I was not educated in a Montessori environment. I wish I had been. My older son went through Khalsa Elementary. He is now at a new middle school. The teachers there have said that the children that come Khalsa are all great kids, eager to learn and ready to enter the real world. It is a great place for your child to go to every day. I am amazed at the depth of understanding my children have. My child was held back a year and at first it was disconcerting but it made a big diffrence on his behaviour and level of understanding. This year the holiday porgramme was wonderful. The children work so hard to make it a fun performance. All the parents are very much involved. The administration is there for all the parents and willing to answer any questions or concerns. I do not work at the school and sometimes wish I did.

Posted January 17, 2013

As a parent of two wonderful, but very different, kids that have attended Khalsa Montessori, I can honestly say that the school has been great for both. The Montessori method is so adaptive and the teachers at Khalsa are dedicated to teaching each child (as opposed to "teaching to the class"). In addition to be an excellent academic setting, Khalsa has provided a safe and fun atmosphere for our kids to grow up in. I am very grateful to have a school like Khalsa and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Posted January 13, 2013

My daughter is currently attending a Madison School after being at Khalsa. She could not be happier. She goes to school happy every day, loves her teachers and is excelling this year. In fact, she was just tested for the gifted program after Khalsa convinced us to hold her back. My recommendation to anyone looking at Khalsa is pay attention to other parents who have written reviews, not Khalsa staff. Tour other schools and observe how happy kids and staff are. Khalsa does not even come close. Follow your gut. Bottom line these test scores are manufactured.

Posted January 12, 2013

We are the grandparents of a Khalsa upper elementary student, and we are constantly amazed at his academic progress. No school is right for every child, and Montessori certainly is not right for every child, but for our grandson, it's a great fit. He is challenged and feels rewarded when he does well. When he sometimes falls short, as all children do, he knows why and how to remedy it. Our knowledge of administration/teaching staff is admittedly not first hand, but from everything we see/hear, they are responsive if there is an issue and very supportive of the children's efforts. The comments about the holiday program are laughable. Anybody who can't enjoy seeing 3 and 4 year olds on stage should go to the symphony or the opera. Maybe the grinch got to them first??

Posted November 19, 2012

I used to work at this school. Let me be clear. If teachers and administrators don't want your child at the school, for academic or behavior reasons, they will tell you that your child needs to repeat a grade. Don't be fooled. They are asking you to leave. This school has lots of academic success because they convince the parents of the struggling students to take their childern to a different school leaving Khalsa with only the best students. More than half of the students at this school repeat a grade at some point. And yet the teachers and administrators still think there is nothing wrong with this.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 13, 2012

To the 8/3/12 poster, I agree. Several students from my child s class have left for the reasons you mentioned. I have noticed a pattern with kids transitioning from primary to elementary suddenly being told that they are not academically ready for elementary. I think this practice is driven more by the school s desire to maintain high elementary school test scores (keep funding) & is less about academic readiness. I have mixed feelings about Khalsa. In theory the philosophy is great but the school s academic vision has become muddled. To those disputing the negative comments, I challenge your remarks by saying if your child fits the Khalsa mold, then the negative comments don t apply to you, but if you have a child that requires guidance, you see quickly how those children are handled. I say this as a parent of two Khalsa children, one self-directed & intrinsically motivated who has thrived & another who requires more direction & has shown little progress. I hope Khalsa looks more closely at its practices, begins to listen to parent s concerns/criticisms, and starts to embrace/address the needs of all children rather than just its excelling students.

Posted May 22, 2012

I have been a proud parent of two Khalsa kids. My daughter is finishing 6th grade this year and moving on to middle school - her biggest concern is "will she be bored with her next curriculum" Khalsa has given her the tools to succeed anywhere she goes. My younger is in lower elementary and I feel he is such a curious and free thinker because of the class environment and encouragement from his teachers. I have never had a problem with administration. It seems parents who are complaining about their children being held back should look in the mirror - standards for school can only be held so high for the education of our children.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 15% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Urdu
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Keerat Giordano
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 252-5224

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Assistant principal(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Gifted specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Art room
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Apply now

What are your chances?

3 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year