Public charter
Phoenix, AZ
Before care: Yes

Khalsa Montessori Elementary School - Phoenix 3

Posted October 28, 2014
I wish I could give Khalsa 5 *s. If it's just education, and your child is motivated, then your child will likely do well here. My child went to Khalsa for 7 yrs, starting at the old toddler house. I can honestly say that the last 2 years were an utter living hell for the both of us. And no, it wasn't because of grades or scores. My child always topped the charts and did well in school. The problem was in her particular class, the teacher provided no encouragement what so ever yet routinely yelled at the students. Montessori philosophy is to teach the child to want to learn and succeed for themselves and not for outside influences. That is great in theory, but if a teacher isn't going to give the carrot, then she should not be giving the stick. There were more than a handful of occasions where I heard the teacher actually yelling at a student for "not making a very wise choice!" The admin has heard from many parents of the situation and chose to turn a blind eye. The final straw was when I learned my 8 year old was sent out into an unwatched, non-secured parking lot to throw trash. The admin's answer was "we've always done it this way." The 70's approach to security is ridiculous.

Posted October 08, 2014
Fantastic school! My daughters attended for five years each. Totally agree with prior post that the only problem is finding a school to keep your child challenged after 6th grade. We decided on BASIS as well and made the heart-wrenching decision to move our kids before completing their cycles to make sure we had a spot. I want to tell you that the Khalsa kids who came over to BASIS took care of each other like only family can during a very rocky school launch. They have all done beautifully and watched out for each other. My kids are masters of time management. They do their homework afterschool and rarely bring anything home. They take responsibility and they are organized. Khalsa taught them that. It also taught us as parents to trust our kids to manage their own work and that makes all the difference. While other parents run around with their hair on fire about what homework their kids should be working on, we know our kids are getting it done and if they don't they need to learn the consequence. Their grades bear this out; both scored well above average. Adjusting to tests is hardest challenge but they will master this in time. Khalsa's system works!

Posted September 23, 2014
My two daughters started kindergarten at Khalsa up to 4th and 3rd grade, this is a great school. The Montessori program, the diversity of the students, very good teachers, (Miss Susan and Miss Lori) I was very happy with the school, the level of education is excellent, your kids will be prepared for the best schools after Khalsa, actually that is the problem, after Khalsa is hard to find a school that challenge your kids. I decide to move my kids to Basis, just because later is hard to get a spot at Basis and Khalsa only goes up to 6th grade, but I'm very thankful to Khalsa because the current success of my daughters at Basis is because their Khalsa background.

Posted April 18, 2014
This school has been great for my kids. It is not perfect, but no school is. I have never had any problems with the administration, but to be fair, I've not had much occasion to deal with them. On occasion, my kids complain about certain teachers being mean, but that's life...we will not like everyone we meet, and we need to learn to deal with people whose personalities don't jive with ours. This is a small school with limited resources, so if you are expecting all the bells and whistles, this may not be the school for you. I believe my children are getting a top notch education and I am grateful that they have been able to attend Khalsa Montessori.

Posted April 16, 2014
We are finishing our fifth year at Khalsa. I now have two children attending (each with very different personalities and learning styles). I am delighted with the education they are receiving. Khalsa is not for helicopter parents. Kids learn to be self-reliant and self-motivated. It is amazing how much responsibility you can successfully give a child. As the children move into elementary, the academics are fantastic. They get a fair amount of homework, but it teaches them organization and time management. The best part? Unlike my friends who struggle to help their children with homework, Khalsa does not create busy work for parents. Parents are expected to contribute to the school community, but are not saddled with micromanaging their kids art/science/whatever take-home projects. If you need daily updates from your child's teacher, you won't get it here. But I have found the teachers and administration to be responsive when something comes up. Both of my children love going to school each morning and are full of smiles (and dirt) when I pick them up each afternoon. I don't think there is a better endorsement for a school than that.

Posted March 19, 2014
Khalsa is known as "pure Montessori" by anyone who is familiar with the school. You will find other Montessori schools in Phoenix, but none who follow this method of teaching by student initiated learning and experimentation as well as Khalsa. Three of my children have gone here and are curious about the world and their environment and enjoy getting up every day and going to school. They have deep friendships due to the small family-like environment of the school and have traditional reading/math skills that exceed their neighborhood friends at the public school. I highly recommend Khalsa and am glad to be a part of this diverse and humble environment.

Posted February 05, 2014
If you'd rather write a check than volunteer to help with a school event--move on, this probably isn't the school for you. If you are wary of dumbed-down public school curricula, and are willing to engage as a member of the school community and as a team member in your child's education, check out Khalsa. My daughter was "held back" due to a learning disability, but the extra time to mature, and to experience the full Montessori growth cycles, has been beneficial in her high school years. Teachers and admin were proactive about designing a sensible IEP, and regularly evaluating and adjusting it. The sense of community and belonging during her Khalsa years has made my child a more engaged and involved citizen of her high school. KMES is a tough school, with no sports and few extra-curricular offerings. Some parents find certain teachers off-putting, the admin unyielding, and the curriculum too demanding, and some kids don't make it through. But the academic and emotional rewards for those who graduate are core-forming and lasting. God bless Maria Montessori!

Khalsa Montessori Elementary School - Phoenix 2

Posted January 13, 2014
Original posts have been removed. Mine no longer are on here. I had 2 children at Khalsa. We love this school. We had 2 children that attended up until the oldest went to lower elementary. I have nothing good to say about the administration. It is horrible how they treat the parents instating that there is something wrong with their child. We spent a substantial amount of money based on their recommendations. There was nothing wrong with our children. They are at Faith North and flourishing. The staff at Primary were awesome, compassionate and understanding. The administration is not.

Khalsa Montessori Elementary School - Phoenix 1

Posted January 13, 2014
I was very unhappy with the administration here. They were so disrespectful to parents. It was never their fault, either the parents needed therapy or the child had a learning disability or needed therapy. They like to diagnose your child with no qualifications to do so. Also, school has no sports and no music program.

Khalsa Montessori Elementary School - Phoenix 1

Posted October 25, 2013
It appears that a number of reviews have been removed as evidenced by references to dates for reviews not present. How can this site provide a thorough representation of a school when reviews are being removed???

Khalsa Montessori Elementary School - Phoenix
2536 N. 3rd Street, Phoenix, AZ  85004
Last modified Khalsa Montessori Elementary School - Phoenix is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Khalsa Montessori Elementary School - Phoenix Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top