Kyrene De Las Lomas School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded

Posted October 24, 2013

This year is our 4th at Lomas, and while the teachers are wonderful and caring, the school falls short. There are way too many kids per teacher in each classroom for the teachers to be effective. Parental involvement is also low, so many kids don't receive personal attention at school unless they misbehave or qualify for Title I services. The kids are drilled and tested constantly, even in kindergarten. The principal barely communicates with parents. On the plus side, the office staff is wonderful...most parents know that they will respond to concerns a lot faster and more effectively than the principal does. I think with better leadership and more aids or parent volunteers, this school could do so much better.

Posted August 27, 2013

This is the 4th year my child attends Kyrene De Las Lomas. He is in 3rd grade and I am very happy with the education he is receiving at Lomas. His teachers have been amazing and they are always willing to communicate and discuss my child's progress. The office staff is very friendly.

Posted January 25, 2013

Lomas is a school with excellent and caring teachers. The children are very happy at Lomas. Most parents are happy too. Front office staff is very helpful and friendly. The PTA is phenomenal and welcomes any help offered with smiles. No petty parent cliques at Lomas! It is true that not many parents are able to volunteer a lot of time, however, most kids at Lomas have involved parents able to support their learning. Students are polite and engaged whenever I am in the school. Lomas is diverse which is a huge plus. Your child will receive a solid education at Lomas both academically and socially. This is a wonderful public school that gets better each year my family is here.

Posted July 30, 2012

I have been active at Lomas for 5-6 years. The school population has changed drastically over the years. The current principal is an ineffective communicator to parents, I have had to call multiple times because he does not return calls. Bullying is a huge issue and not addressd appropriately by the district or school administration. The teaching staff is awesome, but not supported by the district or principal. My children finished there and we are removing them from Kyrene district schools this year due to bullying and ineffective administrators.

Posted June 30, 2012

My son just finished first grade here and so far I am very impressed with the school. The teachers seem focused and professional and there are plenty of involved parents. Academic standards seem high and the school has an effective approach to discipline.

Posted January 29, 2012

I have been at been at Lomas for 4 quarters. I like Lomas but, however its not the best school. There is often kids in fist fights . The teaching is good . I do think kids get a good education .As for cafeteria food, it is not the best either.

Posted December 2, 2011

If I could do 1/2 a star I would . I have 3 children in las Lomas I have had a problem every year . The principal lol what principal if u have a problem u talk to the assistant . The actual principal is always too busy to talk to concerned parents . Sad if you have a problem with the teacher not communicating with you 2-3 weeks later . They try to stick up for teacher really .... I thought u email or call usually a concerned teacher will respond in a few days . No not here its ok to get snooty with parents at meeting with the principal too they allow it ... Call super lol they pretend to care rediculous school .... They used to at least care try to involve parents now they ask u notify if your going to visit and stay with ur child .:( ... I moved here for this great school district I have been nothing but disappointed ... I have a 5th grader ,3rd & 1 in kindergarten

Posted April 26, 2010

This school is awesome, great curriculum. Classrooms are not overloaded. Teachers communicate well with parents. My son loves going to school everyday.

Posted April 14, 2010

Teachers and pricipal are very involved. We also have fantastic parent volunteers! The programs are fun, family oriented, and educational.

Posted March 24, 2010

I love this school, but most importantly...my children love this school. They feel part of that community. The teachers so far have been terrific and their staff are always helpful and smiling! Way to go Lomas Eagles!

Posted October 3, 2009

Makes me believe in the human element of education again.

Posted June 11, 2009

We had our KG and 2nd grader in school this year, and they will continue for 09/10 school year. Our children did wonderful, and really enjoy the school and staff!

Posted April 18, 2009

I have Four children at this school, two of them with IEP's. The school is wonderful and the children enjoy waking up to go to school!!! I attended the Kyrene schools as a child myself and from first hand experience, This school is awesome! I couldn't be happier anywhere else.

Posted November 22, 2008

I'm a former parent; my son left in 1st grade to move to the midwest. While there, I thought this was a fantastic school. In looking back, it is so far off the chart in regards to low quality, I'm amazed. Part may be th quality of education in AZ being poor to begin with, but my son was at grade level in 1st grade, and 2 grades behind when we moved (he was Pre-k at his Kansas City area school when we moved from Lomas in regards to reading and math). I suppose it's all reletive based on the state/district, etc., but the fact that ther eis a 2 year difference is appalling. The experience at Lomas was good, and the teachers always seemed caring, and involved in their kids development, but if I were to move back I'd relook at whether or not this is the appropriate school.

Posted September 19, 2006

I have three children enrolled in Lomas. I moved to Ahwatukee for the school district. I just love this school and the teachers in it. I have not seen a high turn overrate in which the school is affected. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who wants a strong well rounded education for their children.

Posted May 29, 2006

Lomas school is in a crisis situation because the administration is not supporting the teachers. Teacher turn over is at an all time high because the administration is not doing enough to deter deviant behavior and repetitive discipline problems. Test scores are lower at this school as compared to other kyrene schools with similar demographics. Lomas is in need of a strong, knowledgeable leader with experience in order to be a quality, productive learning environment as it once was.

Posted February 4, 2006

Lomas has been an excellent school for my daughter. We moved into district because of Kyrene's excellent reputation, scores, and teachers. The teachers are great at communicating with the parents, the class sizes are much smaller than many schools around the state, and the environment is very rich and encouraging.

Posted July 29, 2005

An older school in Ahwatukee. good learning environment.

Posted May 8, 2005

I was happy with this school.

Posted January 9, 2005

My son is in full-day kindergarden, and I could not be happier with the curriculum and quality of the education at Lomas. I cross the border from Roosevelt Elementary, and there is no question I feel better about my child's learning than at the home district.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 783-5766

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now