PK-5 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Posted October 23, 2015
I have two daughters that are in 2nd and 3rd grade at Cerritos. My children feel safe, valued, and they are given an amazing amount of leadership opportunities. They love coming to school! The PTO is fantastic at this school and the community really supports the school. The school is great about sending out weekly newsletters via email and the teachers are great about keeping parents informed. This school is a Leader In Me school and their lighthouse status is something to celebrate. Go Roadrunners!

Grateful to: Parent

Posted October 23, 2015
The PTO at this school is AMAZING. Cerritos is so lucky to have a strong committed group of parents that provide financial and social support, and they model leadership for the children.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted October 23, 2015
My girls have grown so much over the last couple of years. Their academic growth is wonderful and they feel challenged appropriately.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted October 23, 2015
Cerritos has a great program called CARES. Cooperation, Accountability, Respect, Excellence, and Safety. My girls love coming home with cares slips!

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 2

Posted October 23, 2013
This is a quality school in a great neighborhood. Lots of parent involvement and School spirit! The one area of concern I have always had at Ceritos is The principal. No follow through with staff or parent concerns, never seen at pick up or drop off, never seems to be in attendance at after school events, does not seem to have a loving emphasis that is required for a grade school principal. She has a lot to learn about professional maturity.

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 3

Posted March 04, 2013
My child went to neighboring school, Sierra for Kindergarten and had a great experience. I thought Cerritos would be comparable. So when we bought a house that was zoned for Cerritos, we enrolled her there by default. What a huge mistake!! My child who had been an "advanced' student since pre-k spent a lot of time learning material she already knew. What's more disappointing is when I addressed the teacher about my concerns, no action was taken. What's worst is when I met with the principal and very respectfully asked for advice, she said that the teacher was the best one in that grade. She was pleasant yet defensive. Bottom line is NOTHING was done for my child. Very frustrating and disappointing. I am researching alternative schools like Sierra or charter schools. If your student is average or below, or you don't have high expectations of your child academically, it's a fine school. It's upbeat and there's plenty of family activities. Although I can't help but notice the staff and community was much more welcoming at Sierra (i.e. friendlier front office and parent volunteers)

Posted April 17, 2011
Love Cerritos & our son's 2nd grade teacher, Ms Eger. Cerritos is very open to family volunteers in the classroom & for special events. I love knowing there is an open door there. We have been at schools in the past that preferred parents to drop off at the gate, not to be seen or heard from again until after school let out (I.e. Tucson's Senita Valley). One example of Cerritos' open door policy that comes to mind is my father-in-law's recent visit from MT. I asked our son's teacher if he could come in & do the "mystery reader" program in our son's class & Ms Eger made a plan for that during the week he was to be in town. However, his stay was cut short without notice & so I took Grandpa to Cerritos to pick up our son early so they could have as much time together as possible before he had to leave the next day. I told Ms Eger about the unfortunate change in plans & she finished the class' current activity & allowed grandpa some time to share with our son & his class. Grandpa had a wonderful time & I was very happy that our son got to have such a memorable moment with him during what turned out to be a short, overnight stay.

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 2

Posted February 10, 2010
I've been really dissapointed in this school. One of my children completed K-5 here 2 years ago and was completely unprepared for Junior High. My other child is currently in 5th grade here and it seems that he will end up even less prepared for Junior High than his brother.

Posted October 23, 2007
My daughter attends kindi, and my son preschool at cerritos and we couldnt be happier. We are in the open enrollment plan and travel quite a ways but it is well worth the trip everyday. We interviewed every school in the kyrene district(that had a preschool) and cerritos won hands down on simple friendliness and helpfulness; which means a great deal when you realize you will interact with these people everyday.

Posted June 01, 2007
I love this school. My daughter loves going to school, the community support and parent involvement is outstanding. All of my daughters classmates have been a joy and there is a diverse mix of races. Other parents and staff have been very nice and open. We will go here until it is time to move up to alta dena.

14620 S. Desert Foothills Pkwy, Phoenix, AZ  85048
Last modified Kyrene De Los Cerritos School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kyrene De Los Cerritos School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top