Bad
Good

I can't safe enough good things about this school! My daughter started going to Cerritos in 1st grade, but not after having toured a few schools, including Sierra. She was coming from a small, private school and we were concerned about entering the "big public school". Those fears melted away the moment we stepped on campus to tour the school for the first time. There is a since of warmth immediately. Prinicipal DiCosma gave us a wonderful tour, and we were incredibly impressed by the children who greeted us and shook our hands to welcome us. We were blown away! They value character development which was so important to me. Being a compassionate, KIND person is just as important as the academic side, and they cover all bases! We are thrilled that we chose Cerritos. The children are so kind, and we have loved all staff members we have been in contact with. We will be starting 3rd grade when school resumes!

I have two daughters that are in 2nd and 3rd grade at Cerritos. My children feel safe, valued, and they are given an amazing amount of leadership opportunities. They love coming to school! The PTO is fantastic at this school and the community really supports the school. The school is great about sending out weekly newsletters via email and the teachers are great about keeping parents informed. This school is a Leader In Me school and their lighthouse status is something to celebrate. Go Roadrunners!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My girls have grown so much over the last couple of years. Their academic growth is wonderful and they feel challenged appropriately.

This is a quality school in a great neighborhood. Lots of parent involvement and School spirit! The one area of concern I have always had at Ceritos is The principal. No follow through with staff or parent concerns, never seen at pick up or drop off, never seems to be in attendance at after school events, does not seem to have a loving emphasis that is required for a grade school principal. She has a lot to learn about professional maturity.

My child went to neighboring school, Sierra for Kindergarten and had a great experience. I thought Cerritos would be comparable. So when we bought a house that was zoned for Cerritos, we enrolled her there by default. What a huge mistake!! My child who had been an "advanced' student since pre-k spent a lot of time learning material she already knew. What's more disappointing is when I addressed the teacher about my concerns, no action was taken. What's worst is when I met with the principal and very respectfully asked for advice, she said that the teacher was the best one in that grade. She was pleasant yet defensive. Bottom line is NOTHING was done for my child. Very frustrating and disappointing. I am researching alternative schools like Sierra or charter schools. If your student is average or below, or you don't have high expectations of your child academically, it's a fine school. It's upbeat and there's plenty of family activities. Although I can't help but notice the staff and community was much more welcoming at Sierra (i.e. friendlier front office and parent volunteers)

Love Cerritos & our son's 2nd grade teacher, Ms Eger. Cerritos is very open to family volunteers in the classroom & for special events. I love knowing there is an open door there. We have been at schools in the past that preferred parents to drop off at the gate, not to be seen or heard from again until after school let out (I.e. Tucson's Senita Valley). One example of Cerritos' open door policy that comes to mind is my father-in-law's recent visit from MT. I asked our son's teacher if he could come in & do the "mystery reader" program in our son's class & Ms Eger made a plan for that during the week he was to be in town. However, his stay was cut short without notice & so I took Grandpa to Cerritos to pick up our son early so they could have as much time together as possible before he had to leave the next day. I told Ms Eger about the unfortunate change in plans & she finished the class' current activity & allowed grandpa some time to share with our son & his class. Grandpa had a wonderful time & I was very happy that our son got to have such a memorable moment with him during what turned out to be a short, overnight stay.

I've been really dissapointed in this school. One of my children completed K-5 here 2 years ago and was completely unprepared for Junior High. My other child is currently in 5th grade here and it seems that he will end up even less prepared for Junior High than his brother.

My daughter attends kindi, and my son preschool at cerritos and we couldnt be happier. We are in the open enrollment plan and travel quite a ways but it is well worth the trip everyday. We interviewed every school in the kyrene district(that had a preschool) and cerritos won hands down on simple friendliness and helpfulness; which means a great deal when you realize you will interact with these people everyday.

I love this school. My daughter loves going to school, the community support and parent involvement is outstanding. All of my daughters classmates have been a joy and there is a diverse mix of races. Other parents and staff have been very nice and open. We will go here until it is time to move up to alta dena.

We chose a home in this district after carefully researching many schools in Phoenix. Our third grader transitioned well from Naperville Illinois. We have found the course offerings to be similar and the teachers are top notch. Parent involvement is incredible, and the community is friendly.

Last modified Kyrene De Los Cerritos School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.