PK-5 & Ungraded
Phoenix, AZ

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 2

Posted October 23, 2013
This is a quality school in a great neighborhood. Lots of parent involvement and School spirit! The one area of concern I have always had at Ceritos is The principal. No follow through with staff or parent concerns, never seen at pick up or drop off, never seems to be in attendance at after school events, does not seem to have a loving emphasis that is required for a grade school principal. She has a lot to learn about professional maturity.

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 3

Posted March 04, 2013
My child went to neighboring school, Sierra for Kindergarten and had a great experience. I thought Cerritos would be comparable. So when we bought a house that was zoned for Cerritos, we enrolled her there by default. What a huge mistake!! My child who had been an "advanced' student since pre-k spent a lot of time learning material she already knew. What's more disappointing is when I addressed the teacher about my concerns, no action was taken. What's worst is when I met with the principal and very respectfully asked for advice, she said that the teacher was the best one in that grade. She was pleasant yet defensive. Bottom line is NOTHING was done for my child. Very frustrating and disappointing. I am researching alternative schools like Sierra or charter schools. If your student is average or below, or you don't have high expectations of your child academically, it's a fine school. It's upbeat and there's plenty of family activities. Although I can't help but notice the staff and community was much more welcoming at Sierra (i.e. friendlier front office and parent volunteers)

Posted April 17, 2011
Love Cerritos & our son's 2nd grade teacher, Ms Eger. Cerritos is very open to family volunteers in the classroom & for special events. I love knowing there is an open door there. We have been at schools in the past that preferred parents to drop off at the gate, not to be seen or heard from again until after school let out (I.e. Tucson's Senita Valley). One example of Cerritos' open door policy that comes to mind is my father-in-law's recent visit from MT. I asked our son's teacher if he could come in & do the "mystery reader" program in our son's class & Ms Eger made a plan for that during the week he was to be in town. However, his stay was cut short without notice & so I took Grandpa to Cerritos to pick up our son early so they could have as much time together as possible before he had to leave the next day. I told Ms Eger about the unfortunate change in plans & she finished the class' current activity & allowed grandpa some time to share with our son & his class. Grandpa had a wonderful time & I was very happy that our son got to have such a memorable moment with him during what turned out to be a short, overnight stay.

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 2

Posted February 10, 2010
I've been really dissapointed in this school. One of my children completed K-5 here 2 years ago and was completely unprepared for Junior High. My other child is currently in 5th grade here and it seems that he will end up even less prepared for Junior High than his brother.

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 3

Posted June 26, 2008

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 0

Posted October 23, 2007
My daughter attends kindi, and my son preschool at cerritos and we couldnt be happier. We are in the open enrollment plan and travel quite a ways but it is well worth the trip everyday. We interviewed every school in the kyrene district(that had a preschool) and cerritos won hands down on simple friendliness and helpfulness; which means a great deal when you realize you will interact with these people everyday.

Posted June 01, 2007
I love this school. My daughter loves going to school, the community support and parent involvement is outstanding. All of my daughters classmates have been a joy and there is a diverse mix of races. Other parents and staff have been very nice and open. We will go here until it is time to move up to alta dena.

Posted May 14, 2007
We chose a home in this district after carefully researching many schools in Phoenix. Our third grader transitioned well from Naperville Illinois. We have found the course offerings to be similar and the teachers are top notch. Parent involvement is incredible, and the community is friendly.

Posted May 22, 2006
This is our first year in the district and I can't say enough good things. My son is in the extended resource class. The staff goes far beyond what they have to and the General Ed. teachers are wonderful and supportive as well. Prior to enrollment, I had spoke with Dr. Thor. She was warm, friendly and seemed excited about, and proud of the extended resource program. My son has come so far this year and much of the credit is owed to Cerritos.

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School 4

Posted January 21, 2006
Parent involvement and extracurricular activities are a plus. Recent changes in adminstration have had a negative impact on the school. Teacher turnover is a problem and the quality of recent hires is not up to the same standard.

Kyrene De Los Cerritos School
14620 S. Desert Foothills Pkwy, Phoenix, AZ  85048
Last modified Kyrene De Los Cerritos School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kyrene De Los Cerritos School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top