Lakeview Elementary School

Public | K-6 & ungraded

Posted April 2, 2014

Lakeview Elementary is one of the best around. The Principal, and office staff do a wonderful job of balancing the budget to address all areas of the schools needs. The educators are all very experienced and pleasant to communicate with. They have a great open door policy for the parents, while at the same time, addressing possible safety issues or concerns for the students. This school feels more like a second family than a "learning institution"...very personable and proffessional.

Posted August 28, 2013

I have a 3 students who attend Lakeview School and they just think it is the Best! They each have been going to Lakeview since kindergarden and I think that each of them were educated by a teacher who cared and wanted the best for my kids. The principal is working on his second year there and I saw parent interaction with him from the very beginning. He greets all kids by their name and my kids feel important when the Principal say Hi to them. I know that if more parents were involved in the schools and really take the time to find out what they can do to help make their student succeed, our kids will have the encouragement on both ends, at home and at school. From the front office, kidspace, cafeteria, custodians and teachers, all of Lakeview staff make Lakeview a welcoming enviroment for their students and my kids feel safe and secure and knows that their teachers wants only the best for them for their education.

Posted February 25, 2010

Both of my children attend Lakeview. They are 4th graders and have gone here since the beginning of 3rd grade. While I can see the potential for issues, I have been lucky that I haven't had any. Both of my kids are student of the month and/or character of the month almost every other month. My son's teacher, Ms. Truhler, is an exceptional teacher who is very aware of her students' needs. My daughter's teacher, Ms. Westwood is similar in that she is aware of my daughter's problem areas (such as math) and has somehow managed to get past that. While they both have different approaches to teaching, their methods have been perfectly paired with my children so much so that my kids are doing far better than I could ever have expected. Still, I can see where improvements can be and should be made.

Posted November 18, 2008

Our daughter has gone to kindergarten and 1st grade at Lakeview. The teachers are wonderful. They are concerned, involved and make themselves available to parents and children. Principal Tejada is very supportive of the kids, the teachers and the community. There was a recent carnival at the school that brought the community out to enjoy the afternoon and evening. I'm proud to have my daughter at Lakeview. The Lakeview staff, educators and principal have a positive influence on every day. Thank you for that!

Posted December 10, 2007

My child went to Lakeveiw her kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade year and I absoluty loved it. There was plenty to get involved with. Although the precipal could have been better chosen.

Posted June 29, 2007

Lakeview has been nothing but a big hassle. All the sixth grade teachers have lost their passion for teaching. I have never experienced such unwillingness to educate in my life. We would get progress reports stating all assignments were turned in and our child was passing. By report time it stated there were twenty missing assignments and our child was failing. It is the teacher s responsibility to notify us so we can correct the problem and reinforce the importance of schoolwork. I would never recommend this school to anyone. Children deserve the right to be educated not ignored and put to the side. Race is definetly a factor here. The minorities are not given as much attention as the other students this includes the parents as well. This is by far the worst school I have ever come across!

Posted June 6, 2007

My son attended this school for two years. If it had not been for one dedicated teacher, this past year would have been a disaster. The new principal needs more qualified support and the district does not support his efforts. Over crowded class rooms (1-31) was ridiculous. Students got lost in the process. Teachers came and went. So did the confidence of parents. Please, use caution when looking at this school for your child.

Posted April 12, 2007

Our new principal has made important connections with the Lakeview community, staff and students. He is committed to providing the best support for each child in our school and is eager to address parental and staff concerns. Best of all, he has the needs of our students in mind as his highest priority. That he is bilingual and sends his message home to students and parents who speak Spanish is such a blessing! He needs time to perfect the aspects of his vision as he continues to provide much needed professional development for his faculty. Given the opportunity to develop his plan, he has the potential to make Lakeview one of the very best schools in Arizona.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 5, 2006

My children have attended this school for the past two years. The experience has not been the best, there have been many incidents that have contributed to this opinion. One of my children previously attended a school in the Alhambra district and it was the best experience yet. I would love to take them out of this school and enroll them back to the Alhambra schools. This school is very disorganized and the expectation of the child does not meet the standards I feel schools should have.

Posted August 11, 2006

My daughter is currently in 2nd grade at Lakeview, and she has been doing exceptionally well. The only bad experiences that we ve had were with a bad principal (who has since been replaced) and a teacher that she just didn't connect with. The school was willing to work with us though and moved her to another class. Overall, I am satisfied with the education that she is receiving. She's excelling at reading and math and is bonding with the teachers and friends alike.

Posted March 29, 2006

My children have been at this school for 2 years now. Except for the change over in the Principal we have been satisfied with the educational experience.

Posted February 27, 2006

This was the first school to point out my son's speech problem and offer assistance.

Posted May 12, 2005

My son attended Lakeview in 2000 and the leadership of the school at that time was so lax that we removed our son. We recently re-enrolled him now that there has been a change in principalship. Their new principal is the best thing that ever happened to Lakeview.

Posted April 8, 2005

Lakeview has had a turnover in principalship and the school is in total disarray. Parents are not receiving return phone calls from the administration and we are not being informed of changes. In addition, many of our best teachers are choosing to leave this year because they are unhappy.

Posted February 3, 2005

My son really enjoyed attending Lakeview Elementary. We moved here from Tucson and just lucked into Lakeview. The teachers were great. My son never lacked for the assistance that he requested. They offered summer and afterschool programs that really helped since I am a single mom.

Posted August 11, 2003

i have 2 kids go to this school and without the help of one 4th grade teacher my son would have not past the 4th grade. He was very ill and his 4th grade teacher gave up her summer break to make sure he went to the 5th grade.the teachers are by far the best I have ever seen. my daughter later had that same teacher. mrs. hancock has won the silver apple awards amoug other awards. I will miss her after this year both of my kids are and have been on the honor roll and without all the teachers and staff giving all their attention to what the kids needed I dont like alot of these kids would be where they are today. this school has the best around and im sure all parents would agree with me.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 78%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (602) 896-5820

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now