Larkspur Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted August 25, 2007

My son just started this year. He is in the 5th grade and so far the teachers he has been in contact with have gone above and beyond our expectations. He feels very good about himself and so far LOVES Larkspur. I am so far very happy with how the school is run and his classroom teacher is absolutely fantastic! The principal and teachers told us flat out...their focus is on education and not parties and field trips which we agree with 100%. We spend time celebrating his successes and holidays at home and take family trips so we don't feel a need for the fluff. I am so happy we are at Larkspur! Glad we made it here and hope the next two years are as good as the past two weeks!

Posted July 14, 2007

We were so pleased this past year with our experience at Larkspur.We had transferred here early in the year and disappointed to learn our children were behind. The teachers worked after school a couple days a week and our children were caught up by the winter.

Posted July 13, 2007

Larkspur is a good school overall. The staff is caring and kind. When we experienced bulling the principal took immediate actions. However both of my children think the bathrooms are horrible.

Posted May 9, 2007

I felt Larkspur was an excellent environment for my 3 oldest children while they were there. The make your day program was helpful, as they most often would make their day. However, my youngest son was different, and had trouble making his day. He was made to feel less than adequate, and often felt like he was 'bad' He was only in Kindergarten. The make your day program is wonderful if you have a child that can easily succeed. The following year he attended a different school for first grade. Thanks to the different discipline policy they had in place, he did much better, and began to feel better about himself.

Posted May 3, 2007

This is the worst school I have ever seen. There are many issues here. Don't send your child here!

Posted February 8, 2007

This is a horrible school.It has bad bullying issues. They give out way too much homework to the students,too. Some of the teachers are ok but the rest are horrible.

Posted May 8, 2006

Fantastic! Between the high scholastic learning of the students, the 'Make Your Day' learning experience and overall caring environment, I can't think of another school I would prefer.

Posted January 24, 2006

I don't know what the person who wrote a review in Aug 2005 is talking about. There is a 'gifted program at Larkspur and it is called the Honors program. My son was in the Honors math program in from August of 2004 to December of 2005 and he absolutely loved the class and the teacher. He also loved all his other teachers and classes. He was encouraged to work at his best level no matter what subject it was. I also agree that all the administrative staff were the best as well. Whatever I needed, they got it done quickly and efficiently. All my questions and concerns were taken care of completely. Unfortunately, we had to move out of the school district and all of us including my son will miss Larkspur tremendously.

Posted January 10, 2006

Larkspur is an excellent school. My daughter attended from 1st through 6th grades and all of her teachers were fantanstic; she learned a great deal. Teachers are patient, kind and fun. Mrs. Goyette is excellent with the Honors program and the admin staff are nice to work with too. I would love to see more extra cirricular activities. We were dissapointed when chess was cancelled.

Posted August 23, 2005

This is a great school if all you are looking for is a standard education. As the parent of a gifted first grader this school is sub par. With no gifted program in place and no real plan on how they are going to teach my daughter in a way that doesn't leave her bored stiff this school just isn't good enough. Smart kids deserve to learn new stuff too.

Posted July 27, 2005

I think that Larkspur Elementary is devoted to reading skills as it's number one focus. I feel it puts reading at the top of the academic totem pole and lets all other academic areas slide. Although reading is a very important skill students need to master, other skills need to be given the same amount of time for mastery as well. I want my kids to master every subject so their opportunities in life are broadened.

Posted July 1, 2005

I find this school to be at a lower standard than I would like for my child. They seem to teach down to the students that don't get it, instead of teaching at a level that the regular/accelerated children would be comfortable at. It seems to be two levels, extremley accelerated or below average, no in between. When 10-15 students leave the class for more then 2.5 hours a day to learn english, I think my child suffers. My child will not be attending this school in the future. There needs to be some serious restructure in the school starting with adding the third area I spoke of earlier. I don't have many complaints about the teachers as they do the best with what they have to work with in the policy that has been submitted. Changes need to be made.

Posted January 20, 2005

This is My childrens first year here, one in preschool and one in kindergarten. I was very dissapointed in the class size for the kindergarten- there is 26 kids in a small room, my daughter is shy and had a hard time adjusting, they ware really strict in the begining , I really dont think they gave her time to warm up, but she's doing well now. I am satisfied with the school itself, except the staff I think could be a little more friendly. I think it is great that they do have a preschool there, I love the program they do not push them to hard to know everything,they are just really introducing things to them. I would reccomend anyone with a 3 or 4 year old to use this program,especially if you think your child might be behind on speech,social, ect. The district even tests them for free!

Posted November 18, 2004

Great preschool, not available at all schools. The all day kindergarten is great! Excellent speech therapists.

Posted October 19, 2004

My children recently started attending Larspur this school year (2004-2005) So far i am very happy with the school. They have many activites amy son is in the band program which is wonderful, he also has speech services and they have done an outstanding job, they have been very helpful so far.

Posted April 17, 2004

Larkspur is a wonderful school, full of leadership, knowledge, teamwork, safety for your child, fair treatment and discipline. My daughter has shown great sucsess in this school alot more then her other schools! Kids love that school, and even say the teachers are great, which is something you pretty much never hear from your child! All I`m saying is that if your child is behind, transfer him/her to Larkspur, they will catch your child up no matter what!

Posted April 4, 2004

Larkspur has been the best thing that ever happened to my son. He is in preschool and went in not speaking very clearly or putting things together very clearly. He has only been going there for six months and already he speaks very clearly and interacts in all activities very well. The teachers are very nice and show true concern for their children.

Posted March 27, 2003

I find that because of whatever the faculties past experiences w/ kids or parents, they tend to lump them all in the same 'don't know what they are talking about' catagory. No Teacher anywhere has a right to talk down to a child and no Principal has the right to try and prove to a child that they can't alway run to their parents when there is trouble. My husband and I are very involved with our child in school and out. The Public school system needs to keep in mind that 'good customer service' is very important. My child has gone to Larkspur K thru 6 and it has been a nightmare. There is tons of animosity towards the parents that want to be involved and communicate with the teachers. I am very glad this is my childs last year there. I am counting the days....

Posted October 15, 2002

My daughter is receving an excellect education and her grades are fine. I attribute this to a good environment and exceptional staff. Everyone from the crossing guard, office staff and teachers are helpful and friendly.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 72%N/A47%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now