Larkspur Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 508 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 21, 2014

Larkspur is below expectations in my opinion. My son started there last year in kindergarden,and is now in first grade the teachers are very complainy always sending some kid of make your day slip home almost everyday. My son gets them because he is in a speech class and cant complete all his work in homeroom cause he has speech but the teacher complains he didn't complete his work like every other day I get a note. Just the other day the school was on lock down and there was a police helicopter circling looking for a perpetrator around 11am and I wasn't notified till 5 pm in the afternoon. They never notify of anything going on, not till usually way later. Its like why wasnt I notified of what is going on! Its important to let the parents know about whats going on at the school. Im very disappointed with this school. Theres really nothing for the kids to play on at recess or before school. No shade of anykind! Its worth about the 5 stars it has. It has 5 stars for a reason, do your research before sending your children to larkspur.

Posted August 16, 2013

So far this year with the new school being built the campus has been nothing but chaos. The parking/student aides haven't a clue what they're doing and a small percentage of them are extremely rude. The kids have had no where to go before school starts except for the basketball court and a jungle gym. No grass yet and no shade has been provided which brings me to picking up the kids at the end of the day. They're forced to stand outside in the blistering heat waiting for the parking aides to waive the cars in. It's summer and easily 106-110 outside. Why did no one think to cover the area where the children are being picked up? Now the bright side, the principal is great. She is fair, understanding and went to great lengths to help my son last year. She even answers the phone herself at times! This year my son is prepared and ready to take on the 2nd grade. His teacher seems really great. Her classroom is organized, homework has been concise and easy to understand. He came home with 100% on his first spelling quiz! He says he really likes her. He especially loves his art teacher, says he's very funny! Open house is next week, I'm hopeful these kinks will work their way out soon. :)

Posted August 2, 2013

I believe larkspur is a great school because it is excelling in learning the loving staff are surpassed by no one. The teachers have a heart for children and their learning needs and they make them feel important and not just like everyone else. They have a very strong NO BULLING POLICY they act accordingly to make sure the kids aren't bullied . The homors and special needs are excellent and the arts and music are great. The students care for their teachers and vice versa. I am very impressed with the teachers nurses helpers they make sure they let the parent know if the child is falling behind and take the steps to aid the child with a sense self worth to help the child catch up. The computer class's are advanced and start off early for the the children my kindergartner came home and knew how to use Grandma's computer I think that is also very important to them to learn new things . this is such a great school!

Posted July 19, 2013

I am a student here but leaving to go to 7 I was here since 5 it is a really good School.The PE teacher is to riled or mean when your hurt she would say keep running or she wouldn't let you go to the nurse the 6 and 5 grade teachers are awesome. The teachers in the office are really nice my brother and sister were in 2 and 1 grade now there going into 2 and 3.they recently built a new school.I hope my brother and sister are happy next year /this year

Posted August 24, 2012

Larkspur is a great school. Sometimes a bit disorganized, but I think that's district wide. My daughter loves all of the teachers and school activities. The front office is always friendly and extremely helpful. We are moving soon and one of my daughter's concerns was that we stay within the Larkspur boundaries. I hope to see more positive reviews for Larkspur.

Posted July 27, 2012

This school is really disorganized. The open school night is a week after school begins. My son will not be able to meet his teacher before the first day. They don t even know when busses will be picking up students and school starts in a week and a half! The lack of preparation they have also shows with in the classrooms. Last year my son was not welcomed and his teacher sent home notes on a daily basis for things like him rolling his pencil and getting a drink of water without asking. If this year is as bad as last we will be moving him out!

Posted April 18, 2012

My family just moved to the area from Chandler and my son has been here for about a month now, I am very disappointed in this school. My son is in 1st grade and his teacher is constantly sending notes home complaining for every little thing, If she wants to be so detailed about how she wants things done then she should have sent a paper explaining how her class is run.Instead my son and I are left in the dark trying to figure out what to do to keep up with her demands.I am left asking my 7 year old what this or that means or when this or that is due, thats a lot of responsibility for him and I am annoyed with her lack of responsibility as a teacher and leader.After this school year I hope next year his teacher is more professional or we will be relocating to another school!

Posted April 5, 2012

I moved my 3 children to Larkspur after having trouble with another school. The principal is wonderful and always avalible to her parents and student I have children in 3rd 4th and 5th grade all the teachers I have delt with at Larkspur have been great they really have a passion for education and their students

Posted May 31, 2011

My son has been at Larkspur since kindergarten, going into the 4th grade. The principal is awesome!! She really makes herself available to all. Parents can't complain to others, yet not be active in finding some sort of resolution for their child's problems. Say something to the principal, she'll help you. The rating of school is solely based on AIMS. With the Hispanic pop at Larkspur, THAT does bring the excelling status down. Doesn't make it any less of a great school and the Hispanic pop. doesn't take any attention away from my kid. Hispanic kids have pull out classes that help them. My one tiny complaint is that my son's 3rd grade teacher basically quit teaching after AIMS was taken. No more homework and not much to show in a day. I'm sure they were doing SOMETHING, but there was such a drive and HUGE amounts of homework before AIMS, then nothing afterward. Kind of dissapointing, but something that could happen with a teacher at any school. There are lots of ways for parents to help out and help is definitely needed if you ask. The PTSA this past year was amazing with free movie nights and best carnival ever! Larkspur rocks!

Posted October 29, 2010

As a parent of two kids attending this school...this school is better than most when handling problematic kids and other issues. I have had to leave another nearby school due to unprofessional and uncaring attitudes from the Principal on down! Larkspur is amazing and VERY supportive of any concerns that I have had and with positive results. I believe society has put way to much resposibility on the schools to handle "bullying".....It is also the Parents responsibility to teach their kids not to be victims and handle rough situations on their own. School is not perfect, and neither is Life. Let your kids experience the normalcy of what it has to offer, and stop being a wimp and let others fight your battles.

Posted October 26, 2010

There is alot of Bullying at this school. You let the principal know she does what she can but as parents of kids that go to this school. Who are bullied everyday we need to stand up and take action and try to stop all of this. I'ts not right for our kids to have to deal with this everyday. They deserve a safe learning environment and should not have to fear going to school everday. So as parents we need to put a stop to BULLYING now. No child should have to go through this.

Posted February 23, 2010

A lot of bullying at this school. Not very accepting of parent helpers. If you want your child to be challenged, I suggest a different school.

Posted April 1, 2009

Larkspur staff is so amazing. The nurse informs you if your child comes to see her. That is very comforting. The Principle is so sweet she treats these children great and cares about their education. The Principle is the most amazing lady with a heart. The teachers actually teach our children, which will help them so much in middle and high school. Our children at Larkspur will have a jump start with their education and will be so much further along than other children from schools. We are so lucky to have a school that cares. My children have had to deal with a Principle and staff that threatened my children so much, we had to move them out of a PV school within less than 1 mile of Larkspur. Thank you to ALL the staff at Larkspur and the awesome parents. You care so much. We are very happy!!!

Posted March 22, 2009

I moved all of my children out of another PV school close to this school to have my children go to this school for several reasons. The staff/supervisor is excellent and fair with all the children at the school. The school grounds are secure from outsiders so our kids are safe. The school has so much to offer for all the children and children with special needs. Teachers work to help our children succeed at this school. What the principle says she does, this school is amazing. I will recommend this school to everyone. I give 5+ stars. The art on the walls the kids don't beat each other up, the parents are great. Thank you Larkspur for being so Great to my kids, my kids say they have went to heaven. They do their homework right away and they are so happy. We are happy!

Posted September 29, 2008

A lot of time is wasted with the 'make your day' program. School seems to cater to ESL programs with the growing hispanic population. They really push the free lunch program at the Open House to get everyone to sign up. If you want your child to be challenged, I'd definately suggest a different school.

Posted September 29, 2008

So far in the 2 years our child has been at Larkspur we are thoroughly impressed with the teachers. They are just wonderful. My verdict is still out on the principle but I would still highly recommend this school to anyone. Our child loves it and we are just as happy.

Posted May 1, 2008

School seems to cater primarily to high Hispanic population that needs extra resources just to learn English. Leave other students needing help without assistance because thereis not enough resources for all children needing help staying at gradelevel. If you are not at the bottom of the bareel or average or gifted you are left to fend for yourself.

Posted March 1, 2008

My son started Kindergarten this year at Larkspur and it is amazing to see how much he has learned and his continued love of learning. His teacher is fantastic, along with the Larkspur staff. Make your day allows student the ability to articulate concerns and take responsibility for their actions. The parent that made comments about excessive bullying and low academic expectations must be talking about another Larkspur Elem. b/c Larkspur is labeled Excelling by the State Dept. of Ed., you must have high academic expectations in order to be excelling (not just teaching kids English). One of the beauties of Larkspur is its diversity.

Posted February 12, 2008

My son started kindergarten this year at Larkspur and so far we are impressed. His reading, writing and math skills have improved dramatically and we owe that all to the wonderful teaching staff. We are so impressed with how much he has learned and how much his skills have increased.

Posted September 20, 2007

Excellent learning environment. Horrible disciplinary system. 'Make Your Day' is too harsh in my opinion. Everytime my son laid his hand on another child's shoulder, he was placed on a step 4, and a parent conference was called.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 68%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now