Lookout Mountain School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded | 987 students

Posted November 14, 2014

LOM could be such a wonderful school if administration would STOP micromanaging their staff. Teachers need breathing space and the freedom to teach the way they want, or what works for them. I have been in many different classrooms and the students aren't engaged. It's really sad! Learning needs to be fun!!! Something's got to change.

Posted October 22, 2014

This is our 3rd year at Lookout Mountain. We are looking for a new school for our children to attend. With new mandated standards, seems to me the drive to really teach children is gone. I spend a lot of time volunteering in order to stay up to tune on what my children are learning. Over the last 2 yrs seems like teachers are implemting "here, do this packet ". One of my child's teachers plays music all day that I don't even allow my children to listen to. If you are trying to get a hold of the Principal, good luck. I have yet to have my emails responded to and when I ask to speak to her in person, she always seems to be too busy. If you need to take your children out of school early, be ready to face the rath of the office staff. My children missed 1 day of school last yr and when I tried to take them out early one afternoon, the front office hounded me as if my children were often truent. Bottom line: lack luster Administration; a beautiful new school full of garbage.

Posted October 21, 2014

This school is beyond horrific. Children flashing genitalia to other children on the playground, behavior specialists bully children, the front desk staff is rude and condescending...Teachers are inadequate, and under-educated. The school looks nice from the outside, but the inside is a unorganized mess full of staff who care very little about the work that they do...I can't stress enough how bad this school is....avoid the fake positive reviews...this school is a cesspool...

Posted March 10, 2014

The only way you could possibly think this school was great, would be if you had no experience with a great school. There are lots of really good schools around. The curriculum here is about one to two FULL years behind the local charter schools. The new building sure is nice, but even with that, and the additional students it attracted, the quality or education is dropping. The school does a poor job with differentiation and makes kids sit through things they already know just to let the rest of the class catch up. If your child is average or needs to catch up, this might be a good school. If you child is ahead or a high achiever, this is not a good school for him or her. Also, bullies are everywhere and the staff and especially the administration dismiss it instead of addressing it and correcting the problem.

Posted August 4, 2013

We are excited to start our third year as Lookout Mountain Lions in our brand new school. Our K and 1st teachers were amazing! Both were very organized, pushed our kids, and provided great support for our kids. We also use the Kidspace and we used the Early Enrichment programs. The Kidspace leaders do a great job with our after-school care and the Early Enrichment program was a great overall experience for our child. In our experience the administrative staff have been helpful as much as they could. We had one challenge last year involving a district policy that the school personnel simply could not change. In our experience the princicpal and assistant principal run a tight ship, hold high expectations for the teachers, kids, and for the community. We love Lookout Mountain.

Posted August 1, 2013

I have mixed feelings about the school. I am extremely active in my child's studies, and volunteer weekly. As well as participate in many school events. My child's last teacher was amazing, helped my child feel confident in reading and writing. I do have a problem with the staff at the front office. They are never friendly. Especially when they are asked questions. I see a lot of older children bullying younger children right in front of teachers, and they don't get corrected or punished. Upsets me greatly(so I say something) I find the principal is unhelpful. I've come to her with two concerns and she promised it would be addressed and it NEVER was. When I approached her again, she didnt even remember me or my original concerns. I feel a lot of what she says is for show. I wouldn't say this is the best school honestly from my experience. If it wasn't for my experience with last years teacher I would lower my rating.

Posted June 4, 2013

I appreciate everyone's viewpoint because it is the truth according to that person. That is why you have to look at the entire spectrum of reviews to see what the community perspective is. Of course each school has its successes and failures, ups and downs, and celebrations and struggles. This school is no different, however all the staff members I know there do a fantastic job integrating new technology, developing parental relationships, and successfully educating young minds. Several recent Lookout students were Valedictorian and Salutatorian at different high schools across the city. One at a private school and two at public schools. This is a great school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 3, 2013

Lookout Mountain is a FANTASTIC school! The teachers and staff are outstanding. My son is thriving academically and LOVES going to school! My son had a bully issue in kindergarten which was taken care of immediately by his classroom teacher. No complaints here! We LOVE Lookout Mountain!!

Posted October 28, 2012

First of all this school was most recently rated as a B school. Yet, the "excelling school" banner is still advertised out front. That should tell you something about the administration. Next, we had a teacher who could not write a complete sentence and misused words (as though she did not know the meaning of them). This teacher assigned the parents homework...perhaps because she did not know how to teach the children herself. She made the parents do remedial activities with the kids. This parental homework was for things that the children should have known years ago. If the parent did not sign off that he or she went over these items with the child, then the child got in trouble. Obviously, this school knows nothing about how to create responsible children if it is punishing and rewarding children directly on their parents behavior instead of on the child's behavior. The women who work on the playground are disrespectful towards the children and target certain kids that fit their profile. Bullying runs rampant. There is no anti-bulling program at this school and we were retaliated against for explaining how our child was physically attacked. The mornings are total chaos.

Posted July 27, 2012

Im a student at LOM its awesome! Right now there building a new school for it i am relly,with LOM.

Posted January 29, 2012

This school year started out on a rough note which could have been helped by better planning by the administration. A Band teacher was not hired for several weeks after the start of the year so music students suffered. Bad fit between honors teacher and classes left students frustrated and then without a teacher after teacher left. Administration could have been more proactive to lessen the negative impact. Quality teaching time was lost.

Posted January 24, 2012

Sadly the quality at Lookout has plummeted. The class sizes have gotten far too big in the past couple of years, making it difficult if not impossible for teachers to be effective or fun. The rigid curriculum makes already stressed teachers teach to a test rather than find innovative ways to help our children learn. I realize the lower quality at Lookout is a result of the deep cuts so many schools across the state have had to endure. Unfortunately, it's our kids who suffer.

Posted August 23, 2011

Lookout Mountain is outstanding! From the incredible teachers, fantastic principal and administrative staff, to the after school programs and school resources (such as the student television news program and extensive music and sports), this is truly one of a kind in Arizona. Parents in nearby districts are constantly looking for ways to get their kids into this school, and having had kids there for the last three years it is easy to see why. Only one negative (and a small one at that) -- students that live within one mile of the school cannot take the bus. If this rule were taken away, pickup and dropoff would become much easier. But that is a small price to pay for the excellent education our kids are getting here.

Posted August 23, 2011

Transferred to Lookout Mountain from Mesa in the middle of the year. Tried everything possible(including three visits) to ease the transition for my children, but leadership didn't follwo through, making the entire process more difficult than necessary. On arrival, we learned that no precautions had been taken. A part time staff member ultimately assigned classrooms.... without even reading trascripts. Leadership certainly talked a good game prior to the move, but when the rubber hit the road, she was nowhere to be found. Parents and teachers later shared similar stories and expressed a degree of apathy that was alarming. I would like to think our experience was unique and that anyone in charge of the transitioning process would recognize the importance of helping kids feel welcome and fit into a new environment...our experience was disappointing to say the least. The curriculum was good and the teachers we experienced genuinely cared, but were clearly confined by their leadership, or lackthereof. Moving schools can be traumatic...having a caring voice on the other end can make the difference. After our brief experience, we moved our children to a private school.

Posted April 6, 2011

Great school! Challenging courses, experienced teachers, homely campus, intelligent students. Saying it is an excelling school is an understatement. A profitable experience for any child.

Posted October 25, 2010

great teachers and friendly staff. terrific playground and safe neighborhood. my kids have made many friends and definitely enjoy learning daily at their new school. very impressed. mr. archer is the best teacher at the school.

Posted October 1, 2010

LOM is an ok school. The facilities are old, leaking and full of asbestos. The classes are over max. Seems they accept way too many children out of the area. Parking and pick up is crazy. Frankly I am surprised there haven't been some serious accidents.

Posted September 22, 2010

My daughter has been attending since Kindergarten and is now in 3rd grade, my son started Kindergarten this year. This is a wonderful school. The teachers have all been awesome! Mrs. Turner (K), Ms. Baird (K) and Ms. Bridgewater (1st) have been the most wonderful and caring people. It's been obvious that it's not just a job to these 3 teachers, they actually care for the students and want them to succeed. I moved out of the area last year and I practically begged the school to keep my children even though we are now out of the district area. I have nothing but good reviews for this school.

Posted May 11, 2010

I was apprehensive about moving to Phoenix and into the AZ public education system; coming from a smaller town and an excellent charter school. Because of economic stress, we were forced to leave our area and home, and start at LOM in the middle of the school year. The principal was amazing as she allowed our children into the school as open enrollement students, and making them feel comfortable and welcome. We chose to do open enrollement at LOM, as the school closest to us has a poor ranking and lower standards than I prefer. The school has a high level of unity and parent involvement which helps to keep it running strong. The teachers are great as well. While we do miss some aspects our previous charter school, LOM has made the transition easy for my children, which was a big concern for me. I knew that if we went into a school with low standards, from their previous school that they would have a lot of problems adjusting and confusion through the gap in standards.

Posted April 22, 2010

Great teachers, great community, great administration. What a school should be!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15 W Coral Gables Dr