Phoenix, AZ

Posted March 02, 2015
I go to this school and am a 8th grader. In general, the school is really good in spirit and the whole district is a lot better than other public school districts. The encores are really good. And the school experience depends on the students' general attitude about school. But here is the catch: The substitutes are bad. Really, one of them in the band room messed it up and another one in technology locked the door just to eat her lunch. The substitutes need to improve. And the schools need harder work. I used to be in special ed. But the work is in general easy for anyone to work. Please, go to the advanced classes or REACH. They have a lot more harder work. Also, the lunches are of poor quality. They do not even provide enough nourishment.

Posted October 24, 2013
Very dedicated to the students learning and teaches as the student needs. I highly reccomend this school.

Posted December 09, 2012
I used to attend Madison #1 and I like to go out of my way to give it negative reviews just because of the horrific one year I spent there. I'm a senior at Xavier now, and I chose to attend Xavier after 8th grade because of how badly I wanted to avoid the people I dealt with at Madison. The coursework was weak and students were brought down to the lowest intellectual level so that everyone did well and received "good grades" to take home to their parents. The library hadn't been given new books since the 1980s and the science classes were practically Bill Nye every day. I was in the honors program, which actually had a few excellent teachers, but unfortunately they were stuck on the school's lowest denominator policy of pandering to the plebeians. It's straight-up Hughes film-style isolation: kids throw fries at you in the lunch room, they shove you in the hallway, they "accidentally" step on your feet. And, last but not least, let me touch on the lunch menu: a variety of cheap "chicken" products that never changes. No healthy choices to be found. Do your kids a favor and send them to MTA or Meadows.

Posted October 09, 2012
My daughter is in her second year at Madison #1 and we continue to be so grateful we live in this district and have the opportunity to send her to a school that is so committed to excellence in education, providing opportunities to participate in band or art or theatre or sports, and yet doesn't forget the basic building blocks of character. I find the teachers to be very accessible and responsive. The office staff seems very caring and kind. The principal seems very active in curriculum and testing and is a very present part of campus life. He seems to have a good rapport with students, teachers and parents alike. In her "guided study" class she is having the opportunity to do many different creative, educational & experiential projects with a variety of instructors. I feel she is getting an exceptional education from this public school. I have and continue to be impressed with the Madison School disctrict as a whole, and in particular with Madison #1 Middle School. Highly recommended.

Posted August 22, 2012
I have been a very involved parent at Madison #1 for the past few years. This school is incredible in so many ways because of the wonderful teachers, administration and students. They are rated an A school and I do think this is the best middle school around. The teachers are very involved with their students' achievement. My children's AIMS scores went up after transferring here. Every year they have more and more students going to Brophy College Prep, Xavier and Honors programs at the public high schools. I cannot imagine being a part of another middle school. My children still thank me for switching them to Madison #1. We have watched them develop into excelling and confident individuals. We are completely satisfied.

Posted July 15, 2012
I love this school! My older brothers originally went there, now I am going there it's a very nice school the teachers and really nice. When you are absent they give you the work you missed while you were gone. But last year there were some issues on the bus, with kids acting up, not listening, and getting in trouble over and over. There are lots of kids so it won't be too hard to make new friends. Overall this is a great school.

Posted February 08, 2012
I went there for 5th grade for about 5 weeks. It was TERRIBLE! I had friends from Madison Heights come there but I only had 2 new friends. I had a hard time in Math and the Teacher never helped me. I missed alot of days and they never gave me the work untill my Mom talked to them. So if you want to go to this school and only make 1 friend, I suggest you don't go here.

Posted May 16, 2011
I am considering transferrng my daughter out of MTA and into this school. I am not sure after reading the reviews~ however it is between Park and Madison number 1 . Please help. I know number one has been AIMS scores . I have heard horrible tales about both schools.. I know the MTA principal is moving the Madison number 1 this year and he has a history of turning schools around...Please can parents of this and Madision Park respond?

Posted February 27, 2011
You are wrong Miss Leckman is great! She always answers my questions and tried to make algebra easy. She is one of my favorite teachers.

Posted November 26, 2010
I was in honors English for 8th grade and may I say it was the WORST year of my life. Kids threw rocks at me, pushed me down the stairs, took my money, and said very rude and mean things to me all because I was in honors. I'm a pretty shy kid most of the time, and I didn't even know half of the kids that were bullying me. The teachers say me being picked on and never did anything. I hated Madison #1 and I hope no parent ever sends a child here!

Madison #1 Elementary School
5525 N 16th Street, Phoenix, AZ  85016
Last modified Madison #1 Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Madison #1 Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top