Madison Richard Simis School

Public | PK-4

We are best known for academic excellence.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 9, 2011

Madison Simis is a wonderful school with a long heritage of excellence. Parents are involved, teachers are caring and hard-working, students are eager to learn. It is nurtured by an enlightened Phoenix community and enjoys a beautiful setting. We take pride in all that we have accomplished and are ever in a mode of continuous improvement. Thank you for your continued interest in Simis, and for your support.

Posted June 17, 2012

I guess you always get the good with the bad on these reviews. I hope anyone reading these knows that your kid's school is what you make of it, and if you can start with a school that has such a solid foundation and amazing track record - all the better. My two daughters have attended Simis for two years. One is just about to go on to 5th grade in another Madison school because I can't imagine them going ANYWHERE else! I've never had a bad run in with any teachers, staff, or the principle, and I could probably be considered that 'annoying' parent who likes to always know what's going on and how my child is doing. They have always handled my inquiries very well and always to my satisfaction. In fact, I really love how well my children and I have been treated here, and when I meet with other out of district parents, they are always impressed by how well my girls are doing compared to theirs. I've even got a few considering moving just to come to Madison, lol. In short, no school is perfect, but my girls are happy and healthy, I'm pleased with their progress, and I hope new parents can look beyond the crabby Abby's below to consider this amazing school. You won't regret it.

Posted May 25, 2012

I have had one child attend Madison Simis for the last two years. She transferred from another system of education so there were a lot of adjustments to get her on track in 3rd grade. In 4th grade she experienced some health problems and surgery that kept her out of school for a considerable time. The school accommodated her unique needs incredibly well. Her teachers Ms. Hoon and Ms. Smalley and the entire support system were engaged, professional, skilled, very accessible, helpful, compassionate and caring. They have high expectations for themselves, their students and in the midst of it all she thrived. It is an excellent school and our child has done extremely well. Madison Simis s seasoned, experienced, flexible teachers, entire staff and community contribute to what makes this school so special. Dr. Flowers is a very accessible principal who seems to work hard to continually improve the school. The front office staff is excellent and always helpful. The level of parent involvement is astonishing. New parents and children are welcomed and included warmly and it has been very rewarding to watch the children grow, interact and learn together within the Simis community.

Posted May 24, 2012

I was so turned off by Dr. Flowers that we decided against having our child start attend kindergarten next year, even though we have family members attending now. At both the school tour and the kindergarten round-up she really rubbed me the wrong way. Going on and on and on about out of district kids needing to take the bus was an unbelievable waste of time and then putting down the half day program over was frankly disturbing. At the round-up when the question of whether they had the interest level to include the half day K she actually said (and this is almost verbatim) Yes, but I would like to caution you that every one of our full day K students is reading at great level but 10 out of 40 in half day are not. Shouldn't that WORRY them and not us? What a slam on the half day teacher and does she realize the interpretation of that is if you don't pay for full day K you are putting your child at risk for falling behind. What a guilt trip! We are overlooking ease, familiarity and positive feedback from parents because I cannot wrap my mind around the principals condescending attitude. I am thrilled with our charter school choice and Simis needs to realize there are other options.

Posted April 15, 2012

My two kids went to Simis and as a family we cannot say enough great things about the teachers and leadership of the school. Both my kids thrived at Simis. From top to bottom, everyone cares about the well being of the students. There is a place for working and non-working parents to be involved. It is the overwhelming parental involvement that makes Simis such a great school. These parents understand that it takes a village to raise an excelling school!

Posted April 11, 2012

Madison Simis is the flagship school of the District and the entire staff and community contribute to what makes this school so special. Dr. Flowers is a very accessible principal who works hard to continually improve the school. The school is currently going through the IB application process and it is an excellent fit for the school. My kids have and will be moving to the middle school so will not reap the benefits of the IB program at Simis. I really wish Simis was a K-8 school. I love the community, the teachers and the entire staff. I will miss the wonderful sense of community you feel when you are an involved parent helping the children, the teachers and the staff and community. The PTO works hard and longs for greater involvement from working and non-working parents. The PTO does a lot to make the teachers and staff feel appreciated at Simis. Simis also has an amazing gardening program that is organized and run by all parent volunteers. The gardening program is integrated into the child's grade level curriculum and every grade gets the opportunity to grow in the garden. My 6th grader still misses Simis - it is a great school!

Posted March 21, 2012

Madison Simis has a tradition of excellence. The good really stops there. They are very clear. They caare more about how they appear publicly thhan actually educating each child. They are responsive if you know someone in power, but are immoveable if not. My son is in the top of his class, not a behavior and gets special concessions. As a teacher myself I see the vast inequities that surround this school. Simply if you can make the school look good, you get the red carpet. If not, well, move so someone can. This all stems from Dr. Flowers who is, to put it simply, looney bins. I feel bad, but mh child will be moving on to another district after this year.

Posted March 14, 2012

Wonderful school, filled with caring teachers. The principal, however, is a real piece of work! It will be a better time when she leaves or retires. The school has become overcrowded, but they are soon to open a new cafeteria and music room. Most parents are very involved, and the teachers seem to really like being there. *Note to District administrators...get a new principal. She acts nice, but is not!

Posted January 14, 2012

Our child transferred to Simis just this last year and it has been amazing! He's a good kid and he did well at this old school (was in the gifted program) but we had to move and we were delighted to find a school that was rated so highly near the area we wanted to be. He hasn't had any trouble keeping up with the material, and I don't feel like he is being pressured or pushed in any way. They expect a little more behaviorally from the kids than his old school, but I think I prefer that anyway - he's been better behaved at home, too. I haven't yet had any problems with the administration or teachers. They all seem very nice, very involved, and have always communicated well. I don't feel like there is any extreme behind-the-scenes administration drama here so far, but I guess that's hard to tell. The principal seems nice, and sincere. Maybe my kid is one of the 'normal' ones who 'fit in the box' like some jaded reviewer mentioned, but this school has been perfect for him.

Posted August 23, 2011

With school choice growing every year, I have researched options for all three of my children as they approached their elementary school years. Every time, I determined that Simis was the best school. The faculty is outstanding, a great mix of seasoned teachers with years of experience under their belts and new teachers who are tech savvy and bring great new ideas and high energy. I have seen the teachers successfully and nimbly adapt to the changing demands on education and their students in the six years that my children have been at the school. This is a school that is not afraid to try something new, teacher collaborate well and expectations are high. I truly believe the constructivist approach Simis uses will best prepare my children for the global job market they will face. And the school-wide gardening program ROCKS!

Posted July 7, 2011

Our son was going to Simis and will not be attending next year. There is a lack of communicate from the Teacher and the Administration. Our son received an extreme amount of homework and didn t seem to be learning in the classroom. Our son was excelling in math and reading but by the end of the school year he was barely meeting his targets. We requested information about paying for a private tutor or resources to get our son back on track and got no help from the school. Unfortunately, it seems Simis is no longer cares about educating children.

Posted March 11, 2011

This school is excellent! I enrolled my oldest son at Simis two years ago and is currently in 2nd grade. My 2nd son is currently in Kindergarten and my 3rd son will be in Kindergarten this fall 2011. I love how the teachers interact with my children and they are giving my kids best education they need. I am impressed with this school's excellency! Good job, Simis!

Posted August 2, 2010

Simis has really gone downhill! Simis has gone from caring about its students to caring only for its outward appearance. A good portion of Simis families have left & moved on to Madison Traditional Academy. I ve learned that 40% of children attending Simis are out of the district. I have spoke with several Simis mothers whose older children, now at Meadows, attended Simis just a few years ago. Now these same moms have their younger children at Simis & they re very disappointed. One mother told me she was discouraged from helping in her 1st grade daughter s room. Another Simis mom told me the principal is horrible. I was told that if you re a free thinker & have any opinion other than hers to watch out, she will not help you in any way & go out of her way to be rude & make you feel extremely uncomfortable. I m districted

Posted July 25, 2010

I loved my elementary years at SImis! THe teachers were fun and really knew how to get kids learning. THe AEP teacher and class was excellent for those who like challenges and want to learn. I am glad that I got to attend there as a kid.

Posted May 20, 2010

Madison Simis has wonderful and energetic teachers, wonderful at home activites that keep me engaged with my childs progress and learning and great access to extra activities.

Posted April 28, 2010

My daughter will be in 3rd grade. She has been here for two years, one in regular classroom, one in gifted/excel class. We really like this school. I could and would pay for private if I felt it was better, but with enrichment and other programs, I really like the teachers administration, annual fair, campus, and the after schools program is second to none, even better than the really expensive private schools. And you can't beat the price of a public school, even if out of district, which they are happy to accept. Even though I'm moving to downtown Phoenix, I still plan to bring my daughter here, because she is really thriving and excelling in this school. I'd recommend Simis to anyone.

Posted April 27, 2010

Our children are in first grade this year and I have to say we are very disappointed in the quality of education. The Principal did not stand up for our children on a number of issues. She appears pleasant and friendly but will 'stab you in the back'. The school seems to be run by the PATS board and fund raising often feels like the # 1 concern. There is a chaotic overcrowded feeling in the school and on the playground, not to mention the parking lot nightmare. The teachers seem to have good intentions but are overwhelmed as well. The children get the same homework packet each week regardless of what level they are working at. We plan to move to Madison Hts. for the next school year as have some of our friends.

Posted April 27, 2010

The teachers and staff really care about my son's success.

Posted April 27, 2010

Parent involvement is Wonderful and has been for the 4 years we have been there. Teacher Quaility is wonderful also. All in all we have had a very positive experience at Madison Simis School!

Posted April 27, 2010

Great teachers, great programs, well maintained facilities very good after school sports programs

Posted April 27, 2010

Simis has provided such a great education! It is wonderful to see how much time and effort they also put into personal development and respect of others...the 'loop' program is excellent. Also, it is fabulous to still have our own art, music, etc programs and not have to share them with other schools; not to mention all of the 'extra' programs such as DIGGS, Coverstory, etc. Simis is the best school ever!!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

212 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

212 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Gardening Award for DIGGS (2007)
  • Excelling School (2010)
  • Odyssey of the Mind, City, State, World contestants (2011)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Emotional behavioral disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Clubs

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Dr. Joyce Flowers
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Painting
Performing arts
  • Creative writing

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • *pats, parent organization strongly involved *art masterpiece *cover story publishing center *site based management team