Magnet Traditional School

Public | K-8 & ungraded | 542 students

Posted September 21, 2013

Magnet Traditional Academy is an "A" Rated School as defined by the Arizona Department of Education and in September of 2013 the school was named "High Performing" by the U.S. Department of Education. Magnet Traditional Academy is also one of just 16 schools in the nation to receive the "National Excellence in Urban Education Award." Parents are highly involved in the school and the staff is excellent. It serves K-8 students and even has a free before and after school program for students enrolled in the district with working parents.

Posted December 18, 2012

Teachers are amazing at this school. Many of them work very hard and it shows in their lessons. Students are given assignments that help them learn. They aren not given busy work. Parents, Teachers and Students are all held accountable to make sure that we have success. I love Magnet. Many of the parents that have commented on bullying are misguided. I have had my students at other schools in Phoenix. Compared to the other schools MTS doesn't have a bullying problem.

Posted June 10, 2012

MY SON ATTENDED MAGNET SCHOOL FOR 7 YEARS ,, IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST SCHOOLS I EVER SEEN ,, DISCIPLINE NUMBER ONE,, I FELL SORRY TO HEAR ALL THE BAD COMMENTS ABOUT IT,,, BUT I STILL BELIEVE IN MAGNET ,, JUST FIND THE RIGHT AND STRONG PRINCIPAL PLEASE ,, IT IS A GOOD SCHOOL I LOVE MAGNET TRADITIONAL SCHOOL

Posted November 15, 2011

This school is really going down hill fast! Good luck on trying to get the principal to return your calls or emails or even show up for scheduled meetings. I can't remember the last time we got a newsletter. There is no communication between staff and principal and parents. It has become very disconnected.

Posted September 23, 2011

I'm not sure if I should laugh or be appalled at some of the outrageous comments posted here! Dangerous school? Students carry drugs and weapons? How absurd can you be? I have been a parent at this school since 1997, my youngest daughter is still a student here. I would agree that the quality of the educators has diminished and they are struggling with the new trends in education, but trying to blame the school for lack of positive role models at home in today's society is unfair. The school has an anti-bullying program in place. They also encourage students to report bullying. The kids in middle school participate in community service projects on the weekends and they also have street clean-up days. The test scores are acceptable and the reading of good literature is encouraged at many grade levels. It is disheartening to read such negativity and hatred. Remember, you are the adult and role model for your child. Be a positive one.

Posted August 3, 2011

I had high hopes of Magnet Traditional, unfortunately I was extremely disappointed. I agree with the other parents...the bullying is completely out of control & totally unacceptable. Do not send your child to this school because it is a dangerous place!

Posted July 29, 2011

Bullying is a huge problem at this school! I totally agree with the last Mother that commented regarding the bullying at Magnet Traditional. We have had the same problem the last two years with the constant physical and verbal abuse by some of the kids at Magnet. My Grandson would always try to tell the teachers and staff about the name calling and physical abuse, but they would just ignore him. We finally just gave up and decided to take him out of the school. Wake up Mr. Principle! Something needs to be done about this serious problem at your school! Hear the people and enforce the No Bullying Policy!!!

Posted July 28, 2011

My two kids attended Magnet for two long years. Bullying is a big problem here and principal and staff have tell you what you want to hear. Nothing ever got solved and the parents and staff are as bad as the kids. I feel sorry for the future of these little clicks of bullies, parents wont be there forever to blame everyone else. If anyone with any pull in the school system is reading these comments I strongly suggest looking into this so called "A+" school. My kids will no longer attend Magnet.

Posted May 24, 2011

If they had a negative rating; I would provide it. This school is more of a pre-reformatory if you will. The Principal is in over his head and needed to be fired years ago. The students run the campus and the teachers are simply pawns. I would home school a child before I would EVER let a child attend here. You have only to walk by the campus to get a feel for it. Scary at best. Stunned nothing has been done. We pulled our child within a month and put him in private school. Education was clearly not on anyones agenda...and his safety was a factor.

Posted April 19, 2011

I am a grandparent of a student that attends Magnet . I help out my daughter with my grandchild picking and dropping off my grandson. First off the front of the school has A+ which should be removed. Academically might be an A+ school but fails in attitude. I have noticed the the little clicks developed here. Bullying is a big problem here. My grandson is scared to say anything and has noticed how kids that do say something are treated afterwards. They are outcasted by students and staff fails to look into this huge problem. I have also noticed the language of the kids there is unbelievable. Are the teachers ignoring the way kids speak? Free dress day is a big fasion show. Those who don't have expensive shoes or clothes (like my grandson) get picked on. School should enforce that we are there to learn not the way we look. If you are looking to send your kids to an A+ school then Magnet is not the best choice. My grandson will not be attending there next year. Hopefully these problems will be fixed soon, for the fuutre of these kids.

Posted April 15, 2011

When I first started my daughter at this school it was rated a 10 and in 1 year it has dropped down 3 ratings. The principal's grammar is weak. Have you read any of his letters he randomly sends home? The classes are overloaded with kids and the class is very loud and seems out of control. A few times I have dropped off my daughter at school and found that the office wasn't even open yet kids were being dropped off. The only reason there is parent involvement is because it is mandatory. If parents don't attend 7 PTO meetings then the child gets kicked out of the school. Volunteer work is also mandatory. I believe it is 10 hours and donations only count for a few of those 10 hours. I am a single parent and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't get paid for the times that I'm not at work. The website stinks. They don't use it as much as they should. They ask for donations of paper yet they sure waste a ton of it making print outs to pass out at the PTO meetings. This information could've been easily posted on the website.

Posted February 17, 2011

Magnet is a fantastic school. The education is excellent, the teachers are very caring and supportive, which is extremely important to me as a single parent. The parent involvement and PTO are fabulous. Everyone is welcoming and inviting, not cliquish as I've experienced at our previous school. The only reason I don't give MTS five stars are that the comments about some bad students at the school is true. Our last school was a private school so I expected the kids to be a little rougher around the edges, but the ones I'm talking about carry drugs and weapons. If you have good kids that know how to make decisions about who to hang out with, you shouldn't have any problems, but something does need to be done about the bad apples.

Posted December 22, 2010

I recently went to Magnet, in 4th grade, with a horrible class. When I first walked into the room and started class, I noticed that I had already learned the curriculum that was being taught. I was then pronounced nerd of the class, at recess after that class. Everyone made fun of me, which was very horrible. I soon transfered back to my old school, which turned out to be one grade level ahead.

Posted August 24, 2010

We have been at the school for four years now my kids have made such an improvement in learning compared to the school we came from.

Posted August 12, 2010

The principal does tell you what you want to hear and does not follow through on what he promises. I pulled my kids because of bullying.

Posted July 8, 2010

The school has guidelines set in place, how many PTO meeting you must attend, volunteer hours that are required, etc.. If you do not meet the requirements it is 'ok' because enrollment is down. They are losing teachers because there are less kids. It states it is a traditional school on the building, but my children are not being taught in a traditional way. The curriculum is the same at your local school as this one, nothing more is expected from your child. Just a harder grading curve, that most of the teachers weigh. The principal with make you promises but does not follow through, he just tells you what you want to here. I think they forgot what a traditional school is. Send your kids to Madison or Alhambra if you are looking for a REAL traditional school.

Posted April 26, 2010

it is the worst school ever i have a child here he would have all b`s if grading scale was regular

Posted June 19, 2008

My kids have attended this school for the last 9 years. The first 5 years were everything I wanted in a school, high academics, happy teachers, and a staff who cared about the kids. These last 4 years have gone down hill fast, I kept waiting year after year hoping the principal would get our school back on track. This never happened, My kids will be attending another school next year. I would not advise anyone to check out this school.

Posted May 28, 2008

Both my children attend Magnet Traditional and it is a great school, back to basics learning and this school has higher academic standards than most schools. My only complaint is that it seems over the past couple of years the discipline issues have gotten out of hand at Magnet it seems like some really bad kids have gotten into the school and not too much is being done to those few bad kids. Would like to see stricter punishments for those few bad kids.

Posted January 29, 2008

Magnet Traditional is the academic flagship of the central Phoenix elementary schools, and parents living in the Phoenix metro area would be wise to check it out. As parents we value high academic standards, school uniforms, classroom discipline, racial and cultural diversity, daily homework, and parental involvement. More support from the local school district would be beneficial, as well as higher teacher pay. But overall, an excellent school and an asset to the community.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (602) 257-6287

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now