Manzanita Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 820 students

A traditional neighborhood school with a 50 year history of excellence

Posted May 25, 2013

All I can say, do not send your children at this school. School is a joke. Principal himself is a joke. They all just wanna be friends there. Lots of negative vibes there. I transferred my child somewhere else. Administration must change.

Posted August 22, 2012

Manzanita is an awesome school. I've had kids going there since 1999 and I found that the best way to know what s going on is being actively involved. Every teacher has an e-mail and every time I had a concern I was able to get my questions answered. My kids all have had great teachers (ya, there's been bad ones too) but communicating with the teachers is the key. My youngest son was bullied a couple of years ago, the staff put an immediate end in a way that the bully was put to work and my son didn't have to change his habits. I've learned that the key is parent involvement. Get to know the teachers, staff and other parents, it makes a huge difference. Be involved, join the PTO, help out when you can. Get involved in your kids education.

Posted May 17, 2012

This school has disappointed me this year. All of my kids have attended this school in the past and I must say the teachers are great, maybe not all but most. This year alot of things changed with the new principal which I have nothing good to say about, he is just definitely out of the question, no parent communication, and the office staff much less professional than past years. This school totally forgot they had parents coming from the south side of 39th Ave therefore they decided not to allow us to make a left turn into the school, so how are we supposed to get in to the school to drop off children. I guess gas prices, mileage, and time is not there problem. They even got a cop to cite everybody coming into the school from the south side that had to make that left turn in order to get in. Sad to say but this school doesn't care about parents or students that much. With all the inconvenience I have to go thru just to drop off and pick up my kids every day, I and alot of other parents living south of the school will be moving our children to different school even if we have to carpool.

Posted January 17, 2012

Some may say good things about this school, maybe when your child/children attended this school a few years back it was different. my personal experience with my kids at this school with in a one years time isnt good. Ive had my childrens bullied, had my child come home to tell me that a teacher/staff at the school told them to trash there lunch, I dont get free lunch for my kids, I buy and pack my children lunch daily for school. Ive had my children not wanting to attend school anymore. If you really care about your child/children education and needs please find another school beside Manzanita, the staff at the front never answer the phone, the Principal himself is a JOKE...The teachers dont make time for Parent conference when you want to attend one...also your not allowed to disturb your child education...meaning u cant just show up and visit there classroom, look back and my parents used to visit my classroom,also their is alot of lack of communication and parent involvement is very low,he only time they ask for parent involvement is when the school decides to sell hotdogs,burgers and such,who knows what happens to that fund because the fliers my children bring back dont say.

Posted April 17, 2011

I happen to love this schgol. I have read all kinds of negatives here and have to wonder where these parents are? I know they are not involved much with the PTO or school functions. How do I know this? Because I am involved in every aspect I can be involved in. So where are you? As for the teachers, they are ALL exceptional. They truly care about their students and go out of their way to help. My child is a special needs student and gets FANTASTIC care and consideration there! They are AWESOME!!

Posted March 11, 2010

So there is a problem the way the students are schooled if you consider that 40 children in one class and one teacher teaching the class then it would seem that the gap is huge where is the homework ahhhhhhhhh where does this school rank ! All the parents who have a children there be aware.

Posted December 19, 2007

i am a parent who have had nothing but fantastic parent teacher and also principal communication. i love this school and my children have had nothing but excellent teachers . and one awesome basketball team as well as coach.

Posted July 16, 2007

This school has been a big disappointment. The quality of academic programs in the school is below standards for children with speacial needs and especially with acedemics in reading-writing. We were involved with several meetings with the LD teachers, principal and district too, this ended with discouraging results. Our observation the teachers seemed to misuse/abuse the make your day program and there was lack of professionalism with this group as well. I can really relate to the other posts from concerned parents.

Posted March 6, 2007

The quality of academic programs in the school is definitely substandard-especially math. Keep on top of your children to ensure that they don't get behind. The extracurricular activities are very limited in comparison with other schools-even schools within the same district. The parental involvement is low. We have been very involved, including several meetings with the principal and the district, and only got results because we pressed for them. Our children have complained of multiple incidences with several teachers in regards to the teachers behavior. There is definitely a lack of professionalism with some of them. On a good note, there are a handful of awesome teachers! Other than that, I would have never bought our home in this neighborhood if I knew then what I know now-I feel like we cheated our kids on their education.

Posted March 3, 2007

I think that quality of academic is low especially in math, there is little or no encouragement for parents to be actively involved.

Posted October 7, 2006

I think manazinta focused more on discpine of chilrdren than focusing on reading. Make sure you stay on them for your childs sake

Posted February 1, 2006

My children went to Manzanita for most of their elementary careers. I moved two of them once. Both times they chose to go back. I did not like the discipline techniques used and ofcourse the new nclba has made teaching more difficult in that teachers focus on testing rather than core knowledge development.

Posted January 22, 2006

Manzanita has continued to achieve despite the downward socio economic plunge of the neighborhood. The teachers have always been very concerned with each child & have high expectations.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 10, 2006

I think that Manzanita school has a friendly environment. There seems to be alot of joy that I see with the teachers and the students. I think that academically it falls short compared to other schools. The children hardly have homework and the homework they do have is really nothing. My children are not challenged. I do not like changing schools but am seeking.

Posted September 14, 2005

I was a teacher at Manzanita for 7 years and found it to be one of the best schools I've seen. They have very friendly and caring staff. However, like most schools, some teachers are excellent and come are marginal. Be an active parent and get the best teacher for your child.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted August 23, 2005

Manzanita is a fine school , although I wish it had more for the kids. there isn't alot of extracurricular activities. I do notice that on functions (ie: open house,holiday programs etc) there are alot of families there but they don't seem to be very organized. I think the quality of academic programs is fine but classes are overcrowded and the kids don't get alot of individual attention . I feel like the ones who need a little extra could fall through the cracks.

Posted May 24, 2005

Looking forward to my child attending. I think we can all profit from this school.

Posted April 25, 2005

Manzanita is a great school. They have wonderful teachers and a principal that gets to know each student.

Posted November 30, 2004

Manzanita is a really good school. If you are the really nervous, cautious, yet excited at the same time when your child is about to start kindergarten(which we all are), then this the place to be. The first day is all about getting to know your child, basically just talking, playing, testing the intelligence of the children. Little tests verbally about what they already know, so they know where to start. Which I thought was a really good idea. Even though kindergarten is 'easy', kids these days have to know certain things before they can advance. For example, reading, writing and understanding phonics are introduced and taught throughout the rest of the year. Attention is greatly paid to these children in any and every area where it is needed. I like this school very much.

Posted July 24, 2004

Manzanita is a good school. I only wish that the class sizes were not so large. 25 - 30 kids per class seems too large. I would love to see the district help the students and teachers by reducing the class sizes.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 81%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Emotional behavioral disabilities
  • Specific learning disabilities
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Tim Fountain
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (602) 347-2220

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Join PTO/PTA