Metropolitan Arts Institute

Charter | 7-12 | 252 students

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $119,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted April 28, 2014

My daughter is just wrapping up her first year at Metro (7th grade), and from day one she has LOVED it there. Metro seems to have found the perfect balance in academic excellence while fostering an environment of creative expression. The students seem motivated to learn because they are in an environment that respects that each student is unique. Communication to parents is on-going - I always know where my student stands academically - and the staff & teachers accessible & receptive to parents. That my daughter continues to push herself in school, is actually HAPPY to go to school everyday, speaks volumes to me as a parent!

Posted December 2, 2012

This school saved my life. I was severely bullied and ready to give up when my mother found this school. I took the tour once and one of the administrators pulled me aside and helped me put together a schedule. I grew a strong relationship with the teachers, and they became my mentors. The small number of students ensures little to no bullying and minimal cliques. My voice had a chance to be heard and I discovered talents I didn't know I had. Within a few short years I became a leading actress, promising dancer, and highly involved student, while I was an unenthusiastic troublemaker in public school. I am now in my senior year, and the teachers and admin have helped me so much in selecting a path for my future that fits what I need and who I am. If you are unsure of Metro, I encourage you to take one of the many tours that are constantly occurring after school. It may save your child's life. And who knows? I might see you there!

Posted February 14, 2012

This school has been a godsend for my son. Before I found Metro my son hated school and was a mediocre student. At public school he was just another kid, he was bullied and nothing was ever done about it. At Metro he has found friends, a love of learning, and a musical side he never knew was there. He is a straight A student at Metro, I wish I could clone them and place them all over the valley so that more students could take advantage of the caring staff at Metro.

Posted November 26, 2010

Metro is a fantastic school. The teachers are always helpful to both students and parents. The math teacher is wonderful! My daughter hated math until she took freshman math at Metro! The kids were all very friendly and my daughter was extreamly happy. However, my daughter is very advanced in English class and the classes offered at Metro did not challege her as much as I liked. She had gone through so much bullying at her old school though I chose to keep her at Metro were she is in a very safe and loving place

Posted October 1, 2010

College Guidance process works fine at Metro. My daughter is a senior and she is learning in her humanities class how to apply to college and create a good resume. The director of the school, Matt Baker meets with each student once as a junior and then again as a senior to help the students chart their course. I have always found every teacher and the administration more than willing to talk to me and call me back. However, if you are looking for someone to hand hold you through college applications you need to pay about 25k a year and go to a private school.

Posted September 29, 2010

Although there are some great things about this school, the communication is terrible. I have left several messages without them being returned. This school is not concerned with getting students unto college. I have called the administration to see if they have a college counselor and I've never gotten a call back. If you want good communication and a sense of the school wanting your child to go on to college, this is NOT the school for you.

Posted December 11, 2009

The staff at Metro Art is dedicated to helping students excel in arts and academics. They actually have a relationship with their students and cheer them on when they do good work!

Posted September 16, 2009

I LOVE Metropolitan Arts Institute because it's one of a kind and my home away from home. It's my Senior year and I've grown so much as a person, student, and artist during my years at Metro. They're consistent in creating changes but money is always a factor of course holding them back.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 16, 2009

Metro Arts is the first job I have ever had that has integrated into my life seamlessly. It is part of my life and not just a job. Everyday I am grateful for the spirit, drive and adventure found at our school. It is a place where individuals are taught to become. I am thankful for it and what it has done for the students who are lucky enough to attend.

Posted August 19, 2009

As the mother of a very intelligent and creative young lady with a huge heart whom, to this point, has developed little to no self confidence (yet!), I can not thank you enough for the spirit of acceptance, possibility, and passion that each and every one of you foster and promote at the school. Not since early elementary level has she come home from school every day with experiences that she is eager to share with me. One stand out was her description of the social atmosphere 'There aren't lots of cliques, like at my old school; here it's more like one big clique that everyone is in'. Another standout was when I picked her up 45 minutes late. 'This is the first school where I like hanging out after. I don't even care that you are late!' She has come home and told me about every class; her teachers, the snowballs, being 'freshmen pennied' (she was thrilled), how healthy eating habits are promoted-and backed up by choices offered on campus, the kids that she is meeting, and on one night she even challenged me to a multiplication race!!! Overconfident, I 'took it easy' on her and she smoked me:-). Her assignments thus far promote critical thinking and self awareness along with vocabulary words and sentence structure - you guys rock! Metro Arts takes education 'outside the box' and into real life for a population that have the potential to make a huge difference in the lives of others. Do any of you remember the video by Blind Melon for 'No Rain', especially the scene where the little bumble bee finds her own kind and is happy dancing among them? That is the image that keeps playing in my head and heart as reference to my daughter being in your school.

Posted July 16, 2009

Yes, there are many good things to say about Metro. It is a small community with great visual and performing arts teachers who are passionate about the arts. However, trying to get any sort of cooperation from the school on an issue (from credits to scheduling to extra-curricular activities) is impossible. The academics are sub-par and the academic teachers have something to be desired. Many teachers are inexperienced and some are quite rude, to be honest. I'm glad my son found a school to explore his artistic creativity, but I wish the school was as enthusiastic about my son's learning experience as he is...

Posted June 5, 2009

An amazing experience for my child. Challenging, with superior educators. No problem students to get in the way of learning. Both visual and performing art teachers are world class. Students are getting into top notch schools. The best.

Posted November 19, 2007

Great academic prograhm and arts prograhm
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 26, 2007

As an educator at Metro Arts, I am a little biased regarding my review, but I have been at Metro Arts from the second year it opened, and I can tell you, from my experience, teaching at Metro Arts has been a dream come true. To be able to experience the growth , character development of these young people has been a remarkable adventure, and an artist's/educators dream. The administration and staff are not only professionals, but quality human beings. In education, there will always be issues with staffing, discipline, and quality, but I've watched the expert way in which these issues have been dealt with over the years, and I can personally share that there has never been a time that the education a student gets at Metro Arts has ever been compromised. Quite simply, the best school for the arts in the state.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted June 30, 2007

I'm a graduate of Metro (class of 2005) and I have to say, switching from an anonymous public school to Metro Arts half-way through my sophomore year was the best decision I ever made. Instead of being a faceless number at a public school, I was embraced and well-educated. The staff are wonderful (each a professional in their trade), and the small student count is perfect for not only one-on-one interaction with the staff, but for the sense of community. Being an artist surrounded by artists is a beautiful inspiration. If there was one thing I would change about my history at Metro, it would be not waiting until sophomore year to switch! I highly recommend it to any student who really wants to flourish not only as an artist, but as a person.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 30, 2007

My daughter is a freshman at Metro Arts this year and it has been a very enjoyable experience for us. After have attended two of the Valley's other performing arts schools, including ASA, her spirit and confidence had been broken. Not only has the staff at Metro went above and beyond to help her adjust and become a member of the Metro family but I could not ask for a better bunch of kids for her to call friends! Never have I stepped foot on the Metro campus and not been greeted warmly by the staff, parents, and students. Thank you Metro for giving us a place to call home and we consider all you family. We look forward to three more wonderful years with you!

Posted February 27, 2007

After my child attended one semester and had teachers in academic areas that lacked teaching skill, we changed to a public high school. Her credits did not count because Metro is a charter school. Unless your child is going to go all four years to Metro, be warned that they will have not earned credits for graduation! We left because the academics [were] very weak, and staff were unequipped to teach subjects they were assigned. It was disappointing, as my child wants to go to college and this school cost her one semester of credits. Wish I'd known that in advance!

Posted November 26, 2006

I am a parent of a freshman. We looked forward to my child going to Metro. We are disappointed with the poor academics, beginner teachers, lack of tutoring, and academic accountability related to extracurricular activities. Very disappointed, and thinking of changing schools. On the good side, it is small and creative expression is huge there. But college prep? No way. Scholarship help? No. Most of the staff is excellent, very into the kids and their electives. But the academics are weak, little to no homework, and assistance for kids that need academic help is non-existent. I wish I could say it was a wise choice, but it has not turned out as we had hoped. My child will have had the art school experience, however, it worries me about her high school success as the school now stands. Academics are too weak to help kids succeed toward college.

Posted October 17, 2006

We have been looking forward to our son attending Metropolitan Art Inst. based on input from previous students. He is now a freshman and so far our experience has been wonderful. Our son is very happy and so are we.

Posted October 5, 2006

Metro keeps getting better and better each year! I have had the privilege of being involved for the last eight years (Two children) I have watched the school mature and grow both artistically and academically. If you are looking for a school that addresses both the academics and arts, without behavior problems, Metro is the Place for you!

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 69%N/A49%
Male 31%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1700 N. 7th Ave.