Public charter
Phoenix, AZ

Posted April 19, 2015
After we moved to Phoenix, my son went to 5 schools in 6 years, including charter, public, private, and online schools. I was at my wit's end. He had emotional control issues that every other school wanted to solve by punishing him into submission--which only made things worse. At Metro, they held my son accountable while at the same time working with him to teach coping skills. I went from getting a phone call every other day, to one call last year, and none this year! He respects the staff because they treat him with respect. Every teacher and admin at this school truly cares and wants to help each student achieve. You can see the results in the national awards students are receiving, but also in the many success stories of kids like mine--kids who might not have made it through without adults who cared for them. I can't say enough about what a great job Metro does educating students--not just to get good grades, but educating them for life.

Posted March 27, 2015
I have two children at this school and I do not want them to go anywhere else. My kids where constantly dealing with negative teachers and class mate situations at other schools. I can see the teachers enjoy teaching and the principal is a genuine leader. This is really a Great School!

Posted April 28, 2014
My daughter is just wrapping up her first year at Metro (7th grade), and from day one she has LOVED it there. Metro seems to have found the perfect balance in academic excellence while fostering an environment of creative expression. The students seem motivated to learn because they are in an environment that respects that each student is unique. Communication to parents is on-going - I always know where my student stands academically - and the staff & teachers accessible & receptive to parents. That my daughter continues to push herself in school, is actually HAPPY to go to school everyday, speaks volumes to me as a parent!

Posted December 02, 2012
This school saved my life. I was severely bullied and ready to give up when my mother found this school. I took the tour once and one of the administrators pulled me aside and helped me put together a schedule. I grew a strong relationship with the teachers, and they became my mentors. The small number of students ensures little to no bullying and minimal cliques. My voice had a chance to be heard and I discovered talents I didn't know I had. Within a few short years I became a leading actress, promising dancer, and highly involved student, while I was an unenthusiastic troublemaker in public school. I am now in my senior year, and the teachers and admin have helped me so much in selecting a path for my future that fits what I need and who I am. If you are unsure of Metro, I encourage you to take one of the many tours that are constantly occurring after school. It may save your child's life. And who knows? I might see you there!

Posted February 14, 2012
This school has been a godsend for my son. Before I found Metro my son hated school and was a mediocre student. At public school he was just another kid, he was bullied and nothing was ever done about it. At Metro he has found friends, a love of learning, and a musical side he never knew was there. He is a straight A student at Metro, I wish I could clone them and place them all over the valley so that more students could take advantage of the caring staff at Metro.

Metropolitan Arts Institute 4

Posted November 26, 2010
Metro is a fantastic school. The teachers are always helpful to both students and parents. The math teacher is wonderful! My daughter hated math until she took freshman math at Metro! The kids were all very friendly and my daughter was extreamly happy. However, my daughter is very advanced in English class and the classes offered at Metro did not challege her as much as I liked. She had gone through so much bullying at her old school though I chose to keep her at Metro were she is in a very safe and loving place

Posted October 01, 2010
College Guidance process works fine at Metro. My daughter is a senior and she is learning in her humanities class how to apply to college and create a good resume. The director of the school, Matt Baker meets with each student once as a junior and then again as a senior to help the students chart their course. I have always found every teacher and the administration more than willing to talk to me and call me back. However, if you are looking for someone to hand hold you through college applications you need to pay about 25k a year and go to a private school.

Metropolitan Arts Institute 3

Posted September 29, 2010
Although there are some great things about this school, the communication is terrible. I have left several messages without them being returned. This school is not concerned with getting students unto college. I have called the administration to see if they have a college counselor and I've never gotten a call back. If you want good communication and a sense of the school wanting your child to go on to college, this is NOT the school for you.

Posted January 11, 2010

Posted December 11, 2009
The staff at Metro Art is dedicated to helping students excel in arts and academics. They actually have a relationship with their students and cheer them on when they do good work!

Metropolitan Arts Institute
1700 N. 7th Ave., Phoenix, AZ  85007
Last modified Metropolitan Arts Institute is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Metropolitan Arts Institute Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top