Milestones Charter School

Charter | K-8

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $98,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted October 19, 2010

Except the reception and the so called principal, everything else is good. Good teachers concentrating on individuals..

Posted July 28, 2010

My child went to this school because the principal made it sound wonderful!!! Well it was just the opposite, she was bullied all the time!! The teachers didnt take care of it or anything! So the last week of school I pulled her out and when she went back on the last day to get her things the assistant principal/masth teacher got up in her face, and the 7 grade teacher acused her of lying!!! Never again will I refer it to anyone!!!!!

Posted June 29, 2010

This school has a lot going for it and is a better choice than most public schools. However, it tolerates verbal harassment and abuse and has therfore created a very unkind undercurrent of this behavior that runs rampant in the school.Despite the great reviews (sometimes submitted by the administration pretending to be parents) it is not a school for excelling students. They will tell you each child works at his/her own level, but in reality they all have the same work and the same deadlines and they are geared very much towards the lower standards. It is well suited to children who are a bit slower/behind then those at grade level or ahead. Parents are not welcome at the school.

Posted March 2, 2010

Milestones is pleasantly diverse culturally. They are very community minded. They attempt to understand the difference in their students and teach them at their strengths and encourage them to excel. Their number one goal is to give the students a safe environment/community. The next goal is to give individualized teaching yet still be in groups/classroom settings. To give an excelling student challenges to succeed, an average student chances to excel, and a challenged student the necessary help to achieve. They try very hard to work with the students and not kick them to the curb if they don t excel to overachieving standards. They keep the whole student in mind and not just tests scores.

Posted February 12, 2010

I am a student here and it is very cool. I excel in math and other subjects so fast it's crazy.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 9, 2010

My 2 kids have been at Milestones for about 2 years now. Overall, we really love the teachers and the other kids/parents. The only downsides: the playground is terrible (wood chips are so disintigrated that the kids are really playing in inches of dirt, not chips. The classrooms are never properly cleaned (and I'm not a neat-freak). Administration is pretty laid-back, a little too much for my taste. I was very disappointed to learn that my daughter was watching movies in her PreK class. That was definitly not on their daily itenerary. Having infant care available on site was invaluable.

Posted June 9, 2009

When I attended this school I would get good grades but mostly because the work was too easy for me. I didn't feel challenged enough. I also didn't feel welcome in the school. Most students were harsh and others were liars. The teachers didn't discipline students that seemed like a handful. The school lacked a computer room and the library had a little selection of book for children over the age of 9. The school does have a few good points to it. Students are encouraged to be creative. I would say this school is good for average and young students but not much for excelling students.

Posted March 4, 2009

My daughter is in kindergarten this year and my husband and I are really happy with the school and impressed by her teachers. There is a strong focus on literacy in her classroom and we continue to be amazed with her ever growing reading and writing abilities. Milestones is a really nurturing and caring community where kids come first.

Posted March 4, 2009

I am both a teacher and a parent at Milestones. Our curriculum exceeds state standards and our children have fun learning. What more could you ask for? We have built a strong community filled with trust, love, and support. Our staff is dedicated to our students' academic and social success. We work a lot in small groups and learning centers in the elementary school. The children get a great deal of individualized attention. We offer wonderful 'specials' classes: Spanish, Art, Music, PE. I hope to see you on the next tour of our school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 4, 2009

Milestones is a wonderful school. There is great communication between teachers and parents. Parents are encouraged to spend time in the classroom for activities like mystery reader and I enjoy that very much. The curriculum is good and the kids are happy. :o)

Posted March 3, 2009

This is my child's second year here and I was extremely happy with her pre-k teacher. She was beginning to read when she finished. However, they have decided to job share her kindergarten class and the discipline in the classroom has never been acheived. The other concern I have is that there is no PTA and the administration appears reluctant to involve parents in anything but volunteering to help at events. There is no input from parents as to where fundraising dollars should be spent. There are plenty of extra curriculars and the Spanish, Music and Art programs are very good. Cheer, Karate, Gymnastics and various sports are offered after school.

Posted October 16, 2008

Milestones like any school has its good and bad. There are many extra curricular activities and teachers that care. The administration takes the time to form a personal relationship with the students and parents. The vice principal not only teaches 7th and 8th grade all day but spends time completing other administation duties. She is truely dedicated to this school. Most of the teachers at this school care about their students and work long hours. Does the school lack technology--yes, but I feel they do their best with the funds they receive.

Posted October 10, 2008

How a school without a computer lab is excelling is most perplexing to me. The computers they have are old and there are only about two per room. Milestone s does not have that many extra activities for students but they do have chess, volleyball, and a school news paper. I also wonder how many field trips the student s experience? The after school pick up in the gym/cafeteria is dangerous and out of control. They put most of the students in there from k-8 and it is chaos. Students run around and throw balls. Smaller students get hit with the balls and also get knocked over. The principal, vice principal and special education coordinator are on a major ego trip and are very controlling. They belittle teachers in front of students and make fun of others including parents. The vice principal is unprofessional as she back stabs and slams dedicated teachers as well as students. The administration does not back up teachers hence the high turn over rate. The older students are well aware that they can manipulate the rules and play the tug of war game between administration and teachers. Some teachers at Milestones are very good but a select few lack couth and enjoy arguing and slamming other teachers in front of students. This school does not prepare students for high school and lacks leadership. I would not recommend Milestones to anyone at all. Not parents, students, or teachers.

Posted October 7, 2008

I sent my daughter to this school and loved it. That was untill we moved and she transfered to a P.V public school. She was 'Lost'. This school is about two grades behind public schools in the P.V district. (In 4th grade) Parents you are cheating your children out of a good education if you choose this school.She was a straight A student at milestone and is now a C student and struggling to catch up. This is true.

Posted October 2, 2008

My daughter has been at Milestones for 6 years now and for the last 3 years I have been disapointed. Milestones was a great schools until the founding principal left and all of the students and parents were sad to see her go. Also, all of the really good teachers that challenge the students academically seem to leave after 1 year. I have spoken with several parents who have pulled their children out of Milestones and all of them say that now their children are falling behind in reading, math and even spelling. Why is it that our public schools are teaching at a higher level and require more homework than a school committed to the 'Excelling' education of our children? This will be the last year my daughter attends Milestones and she is upset because she likes the teachers, I just wish they would challenge her academically.

Posted October 1, 2008

I have always known I wanted to send my daughter to a charter school. I am pleased to say I have NOT been disapointed in the leadership, teachers, and parents that are the community of Milestones. THANK YOU!

Posted April 30, 2008

I would highly reccomend this School to anyone I know. My son switched from another charter School mid year and is very happy at Milestones. He likes all his classmates and teachers and loves going to school everyday. His teacher Ms. Michelle is amazing. She treats the kids with respect and understands that each child has their own strengths and weaknesses. When we received our sons first report card, we almost fell over. It was a type written three page report on how our son was doing academically as well as how he was doing as a citizen! Communication could be better by using e-mail and through the website but bottom line is that my son is happy and doing well academically.

Posted March 26, 2008

We just completed a little over half a year in Kindergarten at Milestones before moving to California. Overall, I am very pleased with our experience at Milestones. I am very impressed with the variety of programs (Spanish, art, music, P.E.) even in Kindergarten. I really felt like we were part of a community. Everyone knew my daughter and seemed to really care about her education. We loved Ms. Margot. I liked how there was a variety of cultures and backgrounds in my daughter's class (though that's not up to the school so much). I really think that a lot of the negative feedback here could be from a single person with a bad experience 'stuffing the ballot box' so to speak, and I wish that greatschools would address that problem. I can't speak to their problems, but I know that our experience was a good one.

Posted September 7, 2007

I am extremely pleased with the way things have been going this year. My children are thriving in the small school community. I feel lucky to have found this school. Are there issues that still need to be addressed? Yes, but far less than at the public school that my children attended previously. And aren't there ongoing issues with any school?I say good luck and goodbye to the nay-sayers. I hope they find the perfection they are looking for. This is a new school that has grown tremendously. I have found the administration very easy to talk to. The teachers are, on a whole, fantastic!

Posted August 27, 2007

This school year has gotten off to a great start. While I know last year was a transition year, this year thus far seems filled with activities and fun educational days. My kids come home with great reviews of their days. They love their teachers, I would recommend this school to anyone that has a child that wants to learn and have fun doing it.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

n/a

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

n/a

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 51%N/A49%
Male 49%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room