Montessori Day Public Schools Chartered - Mountain

Charter | K-8

Posted May 9, 2011

This is a far cry from the school Maria Montessori developed. I doubt that Maria would withhold recess from children for not completing work. Parents are very involved & the Principal seems to have her heart in the right place with little action. My child's teacher is knowledgeable but since my child is in the older group of kids the assistant teacher often provides instruction. The assistant teacher has no teacher training & from my observations doesn't enjoy working with children. The office staff is rude & the campus is unsecured with plenty of access for anybody to come & go. They have security cameras that are wired to be viewed in the office by nobody in particular. The secretary can't monitor them while she is performing her job tasks. Additionally I have been in the office alone while nobody was monitoring the campus security. If you or you child is allergic to cats this is the wrong place for you. The school keeps a cat that is allowed to roam freely in & out of buildings & sleep on the office chairs, giving you a great sneeze every where you go. My child is performing above grade level & although we have requested it has not been challenged with new materials.

Posted March 1, 2011

Is there a perfect school? I would have to say no. I drive more than 50 miles a day to and from school but I do it because it is worth it! MDS provides a safe and thought-provoking environment. I have a child in the 2nd grade and another in the 4th grade. My children have learned to have respect for their community as well as for themselves. In this "me" centered world, I am encouraged that they are being taught that they are part of a bigger picture. I truly see future leaders in this school. The students are encouraged as well as challenged. I like being able to communicate to the teachers and see immediate action. If you are looking for a school where your child could reach his/her full potential, I would strongly recommend sending your child(ren) to MDS.

Posted February 24, 2011

I have had my children in this school for a long time. My daughter has been at MDS since she was 2 and my son since he was 15 months. I couldn't have found a better school for them. Class size is small and with the an assistant in every classroom, the kids get all the individual attention they need to be successful. The school is small but quaint and it has a comfortable quality about it. MDS may not be as up to date as other elementary and middle schools but what it lacks in technological wizardry it makes up for in genuine personality. The teachers are dedicated to making sure that each student gets the attention that they need. The children can work at a pace that is best for them which helps them develop a sense of independence and accomplishment. MDS is a great school for any child 3 years through 8th grade.

Posted February 15, 2011

The ONLY thing that this school has going for it is that it is, at least loosely, based upon the Montessori method. My children have been going to this school for for years, and to my utter astonishment, they still have a very obvious lack of organization. The teachers that I have spoken to are hardly impressive and I find the people in the "office" to be rude and very unprofessional. The irony is not lost on me that they hold the children to one standard and then they themselves are completely disrespectful to children and they appear to not really understand children. They appear to struggle and are always coming across as if they are in over their heads and that they are needy. The school is still in need of repairs. You may ask why I let my kids still go there, and the only real answer I can offer is, even as bad as this place is, the local elementary schools are not any better.

Posted February 11, 2011

My daughter started kindergarten last fall and we ve been very happy with our choice. We looked at 6 other schools and choose this one because: 1. My child can move at her own pace and have an individualized education plan. They don t hold her at the class average but allow her to move at her speed 2. My daughter does not move onto the next subject until she fully understands and can show evidence that she has learned what is expected. 3. The school is really good about realizing that all aspects of a child's life affect their learning. 4. They have a great 11 to 1 ratio in kindergarten. Also, it s not a system that depends on getting a "good teacher". It is student driven instruction rather than teacher driven, and students have personal responsibility for their education. Some other things we ve seen: they really love parent involvement, although they re still working out the kinks in organizing it efficiently; the teachers and principal are very invested in the students; they have high standards for the kids and their behavior in the class; communication is still a little rusty sometimes, but they are trying hard. All in all, my daughter loves going to school and learning.

Posted January 18, 2011

MDS allows for great interaction of parents in classroom, in extra-ciricular choices, in fund-raising,etc. Few schools welcome the questions and concerns of the adults or children as much as this school`s founders Ed and Peg Huffman.

Posted January 14, 2011

Above all else, MDS is a child-centered campus. Following the true Montessori philosophy that balances responsibility with freedom, MDS strives to inform everyone involved in a child's education that even young children can, and should, be expected to be responsible for themselves. Our Primary classes begin this process for parents and children as young as 3; our K-only class puts the parents & children on a fast-track to becoming independent not only in self-help/daily living skills, but academically, as well. This theme is carried on through Junior & Senior Elementary and Middle School. If you're looking for an education that will prepare your child for the challenging world that faces all of us, MDS is an excellent choice. We push academics, of course! But in an effort to educate the "whole child" we use teachable moments to play out "what if" scenarios that demonstrate to the children that every choice has a consequence and that we, as individuals, are responsible for those choices. We all have the power to change our own lives, because we're not limited by the curriculum "fed" to us by teachers. Independence is expected.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 13, 2011

My daughter started kindergarten at this school in 2010. She loves it, and so do we. We appreciate the small community, pleasant classrooms with windows, the healthy-living guidelines for lunches and school preparations (no TV before school), and the natural learning environment, Our daughter began reading prior to kindergarten. Rather than holding her back to learn at the pace of the teacher, her teacher developed a curriculum plan to meet her ability level. We look forward to her continued education at this school.

Posted January 11, 2011

This is an awesome school. We used to live close, but we moved away and still drive about 40 minutes each way because the quality of education is remarkable. The middle school isn't a scary place, which is why we originally looked here. One of my kids has been fortunate enough to attend from preschool all the way through to this year, eigth grade. And my sons that went to middle school both say that "Once you've done Mr. Walker's middle school, high school and college are a piece of cake.

Posted January 26, 2010

My daughters have gone to this school for 4 years and I love it. There is an amazing parent committee this year that has really stepped up with Field Trips and great events. They teach personal responsibility and most of all if your child does have issues they work with you and the child. Montessori embodies the whole person and the class sizes are small. I highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 27, 2009

For the 3rd year in a row, these people have impressed me. They really care about the children in their care.

Posted April 27, 2009

Montessori is the way to go. Intergrates mind/body/soul into the childs lifestyle. The staff and teachers here are very dedicated to the well-being and overall growth of the child. Thier teaching styles and love of the program combined with parent involvement make it a win-win situation. My son has learned and grown very well under this style of education. I enjoy the group interactions and encouragement for the child to be responsible for thier actions and thier part of the community. These benefits are only topped by the fact that they are a charter school! Why place a child in the public school system when there is MDS available?

Posted April 26, 2009

Why choose a montessori education? there are many reasons i have decided to enroll my two children at this school. a montessori education includes a complete body/mind/spirit approach and we find our children excel academically as well. there is emphasis on the learning process which includes developing a stratagy of how to think, as much as the individual concept itself. the children are learning through manipulation of materials and strengthening their cognitive processes with various learning techniques. the teachers provide an environment of mutual respect and leadership which in turn, helps the children create a community with each other.

Posted April 20, 2009

I enrolled my kids in this school when my oldest child entered middle school. The class sizes are small, the teaching staff is dedicated, and my children excel when they graduate from the middle school program. We moved to a suburb in 2002 and I still drive my children 40 minutes each way because the quality of education and community sense can't be surpassed anywhere I've looked, and, trust me, I've looked. What I love about this school is the fact that they teach your children how to think! Their problem solving skills are exceptional because of the training that they've received.

Posted April 20, 2009

My daughter has gone here since preschool. She has had the absolute best teachers. Very interactive with parents. Very interested in the children.

Posted October 16, 2008

I love this school. Both of my sons have loved it and done well there. It is a wonderful learning environment for the children, all the staff, teachers, office staff and principal, will all take the time to communicate with you. I feel that my children are getting a great education in an environment that is child friendly, safe and respectful of them.

Posted September 18, 2008

This is my daughter's second year at this school and my husband and I just love it. She has learned so much. I truly believe in the 'montessori way'.

Posted September 17, 2008

I am a parent of 2 that attend this campus of Montessori. Both my husband and I believe wholeheartedly in the principles and philosophy here and both of our children (3 and 4 years old) absolutely love to attend. I feel like this campus is an extension of the home. Everyone is so caring and peaceful and it has helped both of my children relate to each other so much better at home. They feel that school is a safe place and therefore they have opened up their minds to learning and experiencing so much. We are grateful to have found this campus for our children.

Posted September 17, 2008

I am a parent. My daughter is a student at mountainside montessori School since Kindergarten. I find staff and management very helpful. There is a lot of communication. My daughter loves to go School. I am very satisfied with her knowledge and learning.

Posted December 25, 2007

My girls have gone to the school for almost 4 years. My oldest is in 2nd grade and my youngest is in Kindergarten. I love the principal, she is really good with everyone and will always take the time to communicate. They have chosen some really wonderful teachers and at the end of the day my daughters are happy to go to school and are thriving. They are able to work at there own pace and most of the kids are above grade level in Reading and Writing. I would highly recommend this school to any other parent , as a parent and an ex teacher as well.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 60%N/A47%
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Fax number
  • (602) 395-0271

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now