Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

This is my daughter's second year at this school. Overall, I've had some issues. Last year in kindergarten she did great academically, but I had many problems with the office staff. They were rude at times when it came to my kindergarten payment. There seemed to be zero communication between them and the teachers. My daughter was left at school instead of being put on the bus because someone thought she was parent pick up. Nobody could give me any answers as to who thought someone called to have her stay at school. I also missed plenty of work due to confusion on my conference dates. The office told me one date, while the teacher told me another. It was very frustrating. This year, she has gone through four... Yes four... Teachers. Her class has been in limbo and her grades are definitely showing how inconsistent the classroom is. There is also a ton of homework! I'm seriously considering switching schools next year and just being done with them.

I love this school! Great teachers, great office staff, very great home to school communication. I wont send my kids anywhere else! Go cubs!!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Love love love the teachers! Amazing and some have even been teacher of the year!

Amount of homework: Agree

My opinion is first graders shouldn't have hours and hours of homework. I am so happy with the structure and homework policy at lake valley.

Great teachers and amazing school! Couldn't be more proud to go here!! The front office staff is friendly and truly cares. The teachers go out of their way to be genuinely good teachers with caring hearts. I love it here!

I have a friend with a child at this school. They are a year behind in Math in the lower grades and are teaching third grade math in the fourth grade. The AIMS math test has questions on things they have not even been taught according to the teachers so how can they possibly pass this exam? They are also teaching a type of multiplication that they won't even use in later grades called lattice which confuses the kids. No wonder this school is rated lower than other schools. Other schools also use Spalding phonics which is more advanced for language arts.

I have to say that my son LOVES this school! He actually WANTS to go to school! That fact alone says a lot about the school because academics are very difficult for him! Yet, he enjoys his teacher, the classroom activities and new friends. Overall, the staff is kind, welcoming, and nuturing! I could not be happier about our choice to send him to Lake Valley Elementary!

Confessions of a teacher.... I will admit that I am a teacher at Lake Valley, but don't assume this information is entirely biased. I finished student teaching in December and applied for a job at Lake Valley in June. Lake Valley was my first choice of schools for several reasons. Everyone from the superintendent to the maintenance folks are there for one reason- to make sure these kids get the best we can give them. The principal is down to earth and REALLY cares about each individual student. No school is perfect, and we may not have as much funding as other schools, but we are a family and we work together to make Lake Valley a great school. Teachers (including myself) spend a lot of extra time at the school and we have professional development meetings every week. When someone has a great idea, it is shared with the whole staff, so that we can emulate that person and learn from them. WE DO CARE about our students and our parents. We do the best we can to communicate with every parent and we want children to do the best they can. We've been told many times at meetings (and we do agree) that our job is to help a child grow from whatever level they are at.

I have worked for Lake Valley for over 2 years and it has been an extremely good experience. The principal is very caring with the staff and has high expectations for us. We are held to high standards and this is for the best interests of all the children who attend. All of the teachers go out of their way to make a safe, academically focused class for each child. We are always getting professional developments to become the best we can be. I cannot say enough positive about this school!

Staff is rude and can't seem to work with me. They are not teaching her enough and setting her back in some ways.I have seen children walking alone in lines...where are their teachers? no extreme hair fashions?does this mean no mohawks? I don't believe it's any of their business.They have said my child needs to stand in a public hallway and wait for her teacher. She is standing there unattended!!! Shes only 5.The teacher wont release my child until she sees my face.....why should i release my child without seeing her face???

Last modified Lake Valley Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.