Prescott Valley School

Charter | K-12 | 172 students

We are best known for exemplary archery program.

Living in Prescott Valley

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $110,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted July 21, 2014

Greatly improved and rigorous program of instruction! I have a kindergartener and a senior attending PVS. The school has made great strides in improving the instructional program over the last 3 years. The school no longer uses workbooks for instruction and all instruction is delivered via direct instruction by state certified teachers. My high schooler participates in most of the competitive sports offered and my little one loves the FREE after school enrichment program. As a working mom it is a plus to have free full day kindergarten as well as a free after school program. We are excited about the expanding campus and new playground that is supposed to be going in this summer!

Posted April 30, 2014

I have 2 children currently attending PVS (Grades K & 1). My Kinder has asbergers and struggles daily, any other school would've pushed him aside and labeled him a problem child. This School has stepped up to the challenge! His teacher is absolutely amazing!! He gets the 1-on-1 he needs and we communicate daily on his struggles/strengths. I have watched both my children flourish since they started attending PVS. I will never send my children back to a regular public school again!!

Posted July 7, 2012

I went to this school for nearly 3 years, and it is a very poor school. The curriculum is far below the grade level that the students should be at. When I attended this school, I got good grades, but I wasn't learning anything. I left after junior high and at my new high school, I struggled with every subject. I know this has happened with many of my other classmates as well, and most of them dropped out because their new school was too difficult. PVS makes their students fall behind. It is easy to get good grades at PVS, but you will not learn anything. If all you want is a report card with A's and B's, then maybe this school is for you. But if you want to actually get an education and be successful, stay far away from PVS.

Posted April 5, 2012

I attended this school from 2003-2005. I am sure some things have improved since then, but my experience at that time was terrible. I received straight A-s and graduated a year early from this school because I was allowed to grade my own work. Never once was I challenged mentally, my high school curriculum was basically identical to what I had in junior high. I had to attend two years of community college to be eligible to attend a four-year university as PVS did not offer any lab sciences or advanced math. Because I pursued engineering, this was a serious detriment and left me struggling with every math class I ever took, most college students graduate high school with Calculus II and I graduated with Geometry. If your child is interested in science, math or engineering, I would strongly suggest a school where advanced classes are available. Also, the students were very unhappy and hostile.

Posted March 3, 2012

PVS has made a lot of positive changes in the last year! We have a college prep focus that permeates the high school grades (9-12). The elementary (K-8) is focused on math, science, and reading that is based in higher order thinking skill development. After school sports are available in grades 7-12, which include volleyball, basketball, flag football, archery, golf, soccer, and softball. Most importantly, PVS has earned North Central Accreditation candidacy status and will be fully accredited by the winter of 2012. Additionally, our school offers FREE full day Kindergarten, transportation, and a breakfast and lunch program. If you are looking for a safe school for your family, where the teachers truly care about every student, and academic excellence is a priority please stop by for a tour today!

Posted November 17, 2010

I enjoy my time at PVCS. It is one of the best teaching experiences I have had and is definetly better than a larger traditional school.

Posted November 17, 2010

The best thing about the school is the small family atmosphere. There is a small student to teacher ratio and the teachers really care about the students. The archery team has won state two years in a row and has competed nationally in the NASP Tournament in Louisville, KY.

Posted November 17, 2010

I love Prescott Valley Charter School. My daughter graduated from this school last year and is now in college.

Posted November 17, 2010

I have two students that have graduated from this school and one still attending. The school has made some positive changes which enhance student learning and foster student accountability. The teacher's are caring and concerned about the students. The small class sizes enable student learning. It is my school of choice.

Posted November 17, 2010

I love teaching at this school! It is wonderful to be able to teach in a school where every student is given the opportunity to learn in a safe and comfortable environment. Low class size also allows a teacher to establish one-on-one relationships with students and to understand learning needs.

Posted September 29, 2009

I had 2 children graduate from this school. One is in the Navy, taking college classes. The other one has almost complete her schooling for a college degree. They loved this school for the most part. It was safe, and the teachers care about the students. Sometimes my kids got bored sitting in class all day. They loved the afterschool extra curriculum activities and the small school atmosphere, where they made some lifetime freindship bonds. I am going to be taking my youngest son out of of a Jr High public school,with over 2000 kids, and putting him in this school next year.

Posted December 30, 2008

My children all attend Prescott Valley School. I have one child who has graduated from P.V.H.S., and is doing extraordinarily well in college. She learned goal setting, how to work independently, and time management all of which were priceless to have in secondary education. The uniforms and rules keep education the focus, it is a safe atmosphere physically and emotionally. The staff and teachers are always willing to help in any way they can and truly like their students! I love that! I know there are different levels of academics, college bound and community college bound, depending on the ability and motivation of the student. My child graduated with a scholarship to a state university so in my mind curriculum is not an issue. I believe students are able to attend Yavapai College (a local community college) during high school for dual credit. In my mind it is a fabulous school!

Posted September 6, 2008

I went to Prescott Valley School 2003-05. They don't have a very good curriculum, they have workbooks called PAKs and then the students grade them themselves. I always got straight A's here, but when I went to a public school, I really struggled. Prescott Valley School made me fall behind because of their simple curriculum.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 10, 2007

My child graduated from Prescott Valley High School. The school and staff were wonderful. She graduated a year early and excelled through 11th and 12th grade. There is such a great family atmosphere at the school. There are no clicks, everyone is friends with each other. I love the school uniform. It is so nice not to worry about all of the problems and issues that come with the different kind of dress that is out there nowadays. My child had trouble at the bigger schools and when I enrolled her here she thrived and did very well with the type of curriculum they offered. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted November 30, 2006

I have a ninth grade son who is doing wonderful at this school. He struggled terribly in public school. The staff goes above and beyond the call to make sure these kids are successful. I do feel that some of their rules are a little overboard, but I would rather deal with that sort of thing than have to worry if my child was safe or not at school.

Posted June 25, 2006

It is my personal experience that this school is not appropriate for high school students with college ambitions. Students are basically required to attend a junior college before a university because this school does not offer classes in higher math, lab sciences, etc.; classes that are necessary for entrance into universities. When I enrolled my child in this school, I was convinced by the principal that it was a 'college prep' school. They were very wrong, and although my child graduated among the top of her class, when she reached college she struggled to keep up with the students that graduated from the public high schools. The curriculum at prescott valley school is very basic and not enough to prepare the student for college.

Posted March 1, 2005

I feel this school lacks in its concern of the academics for children.

Posted July 31, 2003

I have been very satisfied with the results of this school. Kids that normally fail are being challenged to use their brain. These strugling kids are thriving. I have yet to be brought home a report card with anything lower than a B. Reportcard day used to be a burden on the family, now we go out and celebrate. To the extra curricular activities I give a thumbs up. And the discipline is fair and given when needed.If your looking for a school. This would be top choice in my book.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Underperforming".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A47%
Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Czech
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Performing Plus School under AZ Learns (2010)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

• Monika Fuller
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Italian

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Czech
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
College preparation / awareness resources offered

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

Apply now

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
College presentations or information sessions

9500 Lorna Lane