Granite Mountain Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted January 5, 2014

I didn't learn more than a handful of things in my two years at this school. Great music program, but all the other classes taught me was how to sleep with my eyes open. The staff were not very willing to go out of there way for special cases (I was looking to take high school courses while at the school).

Posted June 4, 2013

Granite Mountain Middle School was an excellent choice for my daughter. We moved here from Oklahoma and I was nervous about her going to a different school after being in the same one her whole life. GMMS made the transition a smooth and memorable experience for us. Their teachers are VERY involved with the children and genuinely care about them.

Posted August 23, 2010

GMMS is the greatest school this student has ever been to! This campus-setting and the fun i have at granite mountain is the reason why i always am excited to go to school here! The teachers are so friendly and there are lots of school programs and sports to participate in. The education is challenging and i even have fun in sciece when we do lab activities! I love the news program and gmms changed me from a boring guy to someone who has friends and has a lot of fun! Thanks GMMS staff, teachers, and most importantly, the students for making this the best school I've ever been to!

Posted August 5, 2010

As a student I absolutely loved this school. Most of my favorite memories are at this school and not just with my friends but also with the teachers caz their so nice and friendly. And yet I learned so much here! I was surrounded by the best teachers ever that make the school feel comfortable and family like rather than just going to a place to learn and go home. It was my second home. Even now that I've moved on to PHS I still go to visit Granite offten to see all of the amazing teachers, staff and campus. Thank you Granite Mountain MIddle School family for making my middle school yrs the best i could hope for!

Posted April 16, 2010

I love granite Mountain Middle School because it is a school that is always striving to be better. We make it our number one goal to provide students with the best education and set high expectations. it is a school that is inviting to all students, parents and staff. The relationships between the staff and students create a family environment outside the ones at home. We all communicate with each other and always go out of our way to see one another everyday.

Posted April 15, 2010

Granite Mountain is a great school! My kids felt like it was more a family than a distant school. Teachers participate in the Students' lives by attending their events outside of the classroom, and celebrate their successes. Parents are supportive of the teachers, and students come back to the school to visit former teachers. This school is definitely an A+school!

Posted April 14, 2010

I love Granite Mountain Middle School because the GMMS 'famly' (parents, staff, educators) are always striving to make the school the best it can be. Even after becoming an A+ school a few years ago, they still are giving 100% in what seems to be every area. The principal and assistant principal return calls right away; the teachers respect the students which fosters students' respect. When there is a problem brought to the administration, it is dealt with immediately in a firm but fair way. I always LOVE the campus setting which is nestled in huge boudlers and pine trees. As you can tell, my family and I as proud supporters of GMMS and think it is the greatest middle school.

Posted April 30, 2008

GMMS just received the coveted A+ Award! Thank you to all of the wonder students, teachers, administrators, staff, and parents for making this happen! Our school is a wonderful community of people, young and 'older' coming together to create an amazing learning environment!

Posted September 4, 2007

I'm both a parent and former part-time teacher at GMMS, and my husband and I are both very impressed with this school. There's a new principal (Stephanie Hillig...yay, a female!) and vice-principal, Paul Manz. Stephanie is very innovative at keeping the school current and maintaining its awesome reputation in academics. Paul is wonderful as a V.P too... he's funny and down-to-earth (and for some, their former band teacher!). They also have David Hunt as a counselor and math teacher, and he's a blessing to this school. The nurse and the secretaries are also very kind and professional. No school is perfect in everything, but I'd highly recommend this school to any parent. My daughter has had problems with her homework, and the teachers at GMMS bend over backwards to help us. GMMS has incredible test scores, and I like how strict they are on dress code, rules, etc.

Posted July 19, 2007

We moved from San Diego County Schools to Prescott schools to find a vast difference for the better. My kids are challenged academically here - I'm glad we made the change. Both my kids are involved in extra-curricular activities (choir, band, and NJHS), and are finally in classes where they don't sit bored all day long. I'm very pleased, as are my kids. I only had a problem with one teacher. Other than that, I found consistent interesting teaching with office staff, administration, and teachers who care!

Posted June 26, 2007

I think gmms is a great school and the principal is envoled and the teachers do care about you and no matter what any o ne says granite is a perfect school
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 18, 2007

Although my daughter attended this school and liked it, there is only one teacher I could recommend (Mr. Manz, the music man). My son has not had good teachers. There is little or NO communication from the teachers when there are problems concerning my son's grades. I am pulling him out of this school. He deserves better.

Posted June 8, 2006

I find that the school has great extracurricular activities such as a music program (string orch. and jazz band along with choir). Also extra cash to provide field trips for each grade, each year. Tech program includes classes for video programming, ham radio, etc. Very exciting, unique opportunities to expose kids to new learning areas.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted January 11, 2006

I was not happy with the consistancy of teaching quality. In the 2 years my child was at GMMS, we ran the gamout from brilliant and inspiring teaching to child crusher. The principal has little to no interest in the students - office staff, however was caring. Lights out in the parking lot, leaving it pitch black while parents were trying to pick kids up after a dance. I was extremely unsatisfied with academic progress in math at the seventh grade level. After two years of GMMS, I was very relieved to find another school for my child.

Posted August 1, 2005

I think GMMS does a good job of general education, however I think it's difficult for teachers to give individual attention to as many students as public school teachers teach. My biggest concerns involve exposure to sex and drug use at this early age. And this IS happening at GMMS, although school policy is very strict about no drugs on campus. I am considering a smaller school where my son gets a bit more individual attention.

Posted July 22, 2005

This was a great school that provided great classes.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 27, 2003

PTA constantly seeks help or snacks, food etc. for meetings, child events. Staff friendly and helpful. My son has adapted quickly after moving from out of state. I want my son to be involved in sports. I was disappointed when not notified when try outs for certain sport were available.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

214 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

214 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

217 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

217 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

• Technical design and production

Fax number
  • (928) 717-3284

Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Technical design and production

Apply now

1800 Williamson Valley Rd.
Prescott, AZ 86305