Jack Barnes Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 502 students

Posted October 8, 2011

I love Jack Barnes as well- but echo the negative comments about the music teacher. While she does teach the kids their songs well, and they always do a good job performing, she is unkind to the students to the point that my kids, who LOVE school and LOVE every single one of their teachers- despise her. I studied music in college and have taught my children well, they have performed solos in front of large audiences and have perfect pitch and know every single word of the songs they are taught...and yet...they come home with "meets standards" in music. I finally asked my son's teacher, "does she EVER give E's?" She said she has seen 1-2 in the entire time she has been teaching there. That's just wrong. My kids think of music in the same way that they think of work- instead of looking forward with joy to something that should be a pleasure! When my oldest was in 1st grade she actually made him cry- and he NEVER crys. His teacher found him crying in the corner of the music room when she went to pick up his class. The music teacher didn't even care. I love Jack Barnes but I wish Mrs. Payne would work a little harder to make music something the children enjoy.

Posted June 11, 2011

My kids have been at Jb for many yrs now and we LOVE it there. I disagree with the person that made a comment about our Music teacher. She is WONDERFUL at teaching the kids and think she is very fair (kids MUST be good singers to get the parts) however she does try to get them all involed is some way. Just so you know other schools I have talked to know of her, and wish they had her at their schools. They all strive to be like her!!! She really gets them perpared for middle school!

Posted May 25, 2011

so glad this year is over and so sick of all the politics. this should not be happening in an elementary school. glad they have new blood in the PTO but doubt that things will change. Most of the teachers are fair and equal but I wish the few that cater to certain kids would realize how hurt the other kids feel being left out. Please take a look around and reward the ones that you never notice.

Posted June 27, 2010

I think Jack Barnes is a great school and just about every teacher I have had contact with are very dedicated in their careers. I thnk the only place I would make a change is in the cafeteria-a couple of the teachers they have supervising the kids during kinder lunch should not be in there. They have no patience and most of the kids seem terrified-not a good way for them to "enjoy" their lunchtime. The only other complaint I have is the amount of "fundraising"they are constanting doing. We dont make a lot of money and it seems like every other week my kids are coming home with something to sell-it gets old fast. I would just rather send in a flat amount at the beginning of the year and be done with it. I thnk the staff needs to take into consideration the economy we are in,

Posted May 31, 2010

I have 2 kids at Jack Barnes and I just love every teacher they have had except for Music. I cant stand when a teacher has her "favorites". My daughter constantly complains how she tries and tries so hard but its always the same ones in the class that get the extra treat. Since Music is not a major subject we just talk it through and dont worry about it. All the other teachers are fantastic! Some of the ladies at the front desk are not always friendly-seems like they have a lot of "bad days"

Posted May 10, 2010

Love this school!! The staff is amazing. The Parents are amazing and the activities are so much fun. I feel comfortable sending my son here everyday.

Posted April 21, 2010

Jack barnes has awesom teachers students and a wonderful pto. Children love it and learn a ton of stuff.They have great rewards and treats for kids.Everyone should love it!!! its great.I wish that other people think so too! i love that school

Posted April 12, 2010

I love this school. We debated over the charter school up the road or Jack Barnes. The teachers are great front desk staff is super. It is all around an awesome school.

Posted December 21, 2009

I think this school is fantastic! The teachers are so dedicated and create such a warm and nurchuring environment for the students to learn in. My son and daughter have attended Jack Barnes for a few years and still love to go to school everyday. The only negative is the PTO that seems to have their favorite parents that they cater to and leave the rest out so it doesnt create that sense of belonging but thats a small part of the whole picture.

Posted December 14, 2009

This school doesnt mess around!!! They are quicker than any school I have ever seen getting testing completed for speech or 504's. The staff is always NICE!!! Great job!

Posted August 24, 2008

Good teachers with great attitudes.

Posted July 17, 2008

This school is awesome. We moved to the area in January and immediately felt welcomed. My son was in Mrs. Hawes' class and he loved her. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 21, 2008

My son is in kindergarten here and he loves it. I really like the teacher's they're all great and they do a good job with the kids.

Posted February 29, 2008

I am a student in 5th grade at Jack Barnes, and I love it! I moved here from Gilbert and it has been much better. My teacher, Mrs. Martinez is awesome to. We have a great principal and staff. This school is great and it is the best that I have ever attended!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 18, 2007

My daughter also loves this school. She had Mrs. Baker for kindergarten and Mrs. Munoz this year for first grade. She has learned so much and they make her want to learn more even when she is at home. Thanks Jack Barnes!

Posted October 17, 2007

My daughter loves going to this school. Her first grade teacher Mrs. Prock is a great asset at Jack Barnes. I'm looking forward for my other daughter to attend kindergarten for the next school year.

Posted August 22, 2007

I think this school is great! My kids love it and the teachers are so very helpful. I love that we are an excelling school.

Posted August 21, 2007

My two boys loved the preschool program and learned a ton. My four year old came home and told me, 'Birds are oviporous Mommy. That means they lay eggs.' Mrs. Huff got them excited about school and they woke up every morning raring to go. My older boy has also completed K and 1st at Jack Barnes and loves school. His K teacher, Mrs. Baker, was awesome and his love of school continued to grow. I think the teachers are very dedicated and flexible. They seem to really care about the students and I feel lucky that they get to attend such a great school. The parents seemed to be very involved at the school and the PTO works hard to help the school and teachers. I think Jack Barnes is great.

Posted May 19, 2007

The teachers here do some amazing things to get children to learn. I could not be happier with them. We have been through four different elementary schools in four different districts in the east valley and this is by far the best one I have ever been in.

Posted March 14, 2006

With two children enrolled and a third starting this next year we have had an excellent experience with Jack Barnes. The teachers are excellent and caring. The Pre-K class was a valuable experience for my son. I wish they had a gifted program on campus rather than having to bus to another elementary school in the district.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 31%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 987-7415

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now