San Tan Heights Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 714 students

Our school is best known for

Posted March 28, 2011

We have been at San Tan Heights for three years now. It has evolved and changed for the better. Tests scores have gone up, giving San Tan Heights a performing plus label for the first time. Plus it made the federal label of AYP. Communication is better, great family activities such as fall festival, spring fling, and multicultural night. The PTO is working hard to involve parents, which is greatly needed. Overall, my kids love school, and that is so nice.

Posted November 17, 2010

This is the first year my children have attended the school. They absolutely love it. The administration is great and very responsive to any concerns. They are also accessible which was not the case at their precious school. They enjoy specials especially art where they are given the freedom to be creative. It is a neighborhood school that does create community involvement. I am very happy that my children attend school here.

Posted November 17, 2010

To respond to the review posted November 3rd, we have since met as parent, teacher, and principal. We found out the kindergartener had not heard those types of songs from the art teacher, had not asked to not listen to music and was not punished for anything related to what he told his mom. Mom had him apologize to the teacher and the principal and since then has returned him to San Tan Heights Elementary.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 17, 2010

I have worked for CUSD for going on 6 years since graduating college. I feel Mrs. Black and Mr. Moncibaez are by far the most effective administration in place since the school s opening. Combined with the office staff that goes above and beyond by not only being friendly but getting involved with families. These ladies touch my heart and the students lives everyday; for example putting together food packages for families in need and donating time and money to get students supplies. We also are adopting a new RTI model that has teachers donating their planning time to assist students who are in need of extra attention. In addition we have a great management team and support services team pushing us toward excelling from our performing plus status.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 17, 2010

The art teacher there was my daughters Kinder teacher last year and I have to say that I am more then thrilled with his performance. He is very open, very personable and just an all around fun person. My daughter would come home raving about him on a daily basis. My family this year has fallen on some very hard times and he took a personal interest in helping my daughter adjust and even helped me look into programs that would help our family. I know that my daughter has someone looking out for her and I am honored to be able to count him among friends.

Posted July 5, 2010

My youngest daughter had Miss Marie half way through her Kindergarten year. I was worried about the change of classroom at first. I need not to be, Miss Marie is so sweet, and calm. I love how she gets down to the child's level to listen to them. Miss Marie will be a wonderful addition to San Tan Heights this year. I really hope with all the wonderful changes San Tan is making(K-5th now instead of K-8), parents will choose to be more involved. We as parents ultimately decide how and what our children do and do not learn. I my self need and will be more involved this year.

Posted July 5, 2010

Positive changes...I adore the teachers at this school, I find them professional, and friendly to me as well as my children. When my youngest was faced with trouble from another student it was immediately handled, and dealt with the way I wanted. My eldest has had Mrs. Picciano as her first grade teacher, this woman is so passionate about her class and the joy it brings her to have her students learn and understand. When my child had troubles with math it was addressed right away and Mrs. Picciano and I both worked on helping her learn and understand. Mrs. Picciano also helped my youngest daughter on a personal one on one level so she did not fall behind going into first grade this year, we are so grateful for wonderful teachers!

Posted July 4, 2010

San Tan Heights has gone through many positive changes this school year. My daughter had a wonderful first grade teacher, Mrs. Picciano . She is an extremely caring, kind, and generous teacher. She took extra time with my daughter to work with her and now she can read above her grade level. I feel when Mrs. Picciano was hired that was the best decision San Tan Heights ever made. She had made all the difference in my life and my child's life. She is dedicated and devoted. She spends so much of her time and money on her students that it is remarkable. I would recommend her to any parent looking for a fabulous first grade teacher. She is the best!!!!

Posted April 28, 2010

My children have been going to San Tan Heights since 2006. Parent involvment is very low at San Tan Heights. I've been to a couple of PTO meetings and there is only a couple of active PTO members! We also go to most of the school functions, and unless there is free food, most parents don't bother coming! I check my children's backpacks everyday to look for flyers and newsletters. I am always informed on what is happening at the school. Both my children are straight 'A' students and they have wonderful teachers! There is room for improvement, but I feel that if parents put more time into their children and teach them responsibility , good study habits and encourage appropriate behavior, than they will succeed better at school!

Posted April 28, 2010

This School is terrible. I have had a bad experience all around, Terrible quality of teaching (look at the test scores they speak for themselves). Terrible leadership. Terrible communication. I am a VERY involved parent, more so than the techers, being involved doesn't change the fact that the school is no good. I am trying to get my child in to any school but this one. I did speak with the principal... worthless. This school is a JOKE!!

Posted April 23, 2010

All I have to say to the parents who are complaining is - GET INVOLVED! Join the PTO, talk to teachers, talk to the Principal. Call the Superintendent if you need to. Do something other than sit there and complain. Parental involvement at this school has been non-existent. There are 2 active parents on the PTO. Come on people, stand up and take some responsibility for your child's education. When I was in school most of the parents were active in the PTO/PTA and the parents really kept the teachers and staff in line.

Posted March 6, 2010

I pulled my children out of this school becasue of the lack of communication. the rudeness of the Office Staff and the inability of the teachers (in the Jr High area) to actually do the teaching on their own. When my daughter was there for 8th grade, when she would complete her work, they would tell her to help other classmates instead of challenging her in harder work. I requested her to be in Higher Level Learning classes but this school does not provide those. So if you student is exceptional, then you may want them to attend elsewhere.

Posted March 5, 2010

My 13 year old son has been attending this school since 4th grade and my daughter just started Kindergarten. I am very disappointed with this school, especially the teachers and the administration. The sports porgram is a joke! I rarely know what is going on with my children's education unless I hound the teachers, even then only one will respond. I understand they have limited funds, but honestly it seems like the majority just don't care.

Posted January 5, 2009

My children have gone to this school for over five years now and I have tried year after year to volunteer. I offer my help to all of the teachers on meet the teacher day each year and I have never been called. I have NEVER heard of a single fund raiser. The school does not communicate whatsoever with the parents. I find out 30 minutes before a dance or honor roll ceremony that there is one. Teachers please ask parents for help, send home a news letter. Do not use the Powerschool program as the only means of communication (most teachers do not keep that current anyway).

Posted January 2, 2009

This school is so out of hand. My son who use to go to San Tan Heights Elementry told me that the teachers don't really help the students that much, lazy, and one of my other sons told me that a kid showed his middle finger and yelled interpropreate language to a whole room of teachers. Is that what you want your children to go to.

Posted November 14, 2008

The front office secretary is the most helpful and pleasant person to be greeted by when you enter the school. It was a great benefit when they hired her and put her in that position.

Posted October 17, 2008

This district is aweful as well as Florence district. I have lived here for 7 years and the lack of care for our children is disgusting. It takes an act of God for the teachers to communicate on our children. Most of the time there is a problem, I have to find out through my children what their discipline is, never anything written down, not even a phone call. My biggest concern is that we, or I, tell my children to go to their teacher or principal for problems, bullying, not understanding their school work etc., when they do, they are dismissed and ignored and I again am not notified. I don't care about your funding, some of the richest districts have the worst system and they all fail our children. Someone take charge and act like a school , and a teacher and be there for these children.

Posted October 10, 2008

I think this school is better than last year! I love my assistant principal! She is great! I love my principal too! We do not have any fights this year hardly, if any. Ms. Collins keeps everyone in line. And we love her because she honestly cares about us. She always tells us that she expects better. She talks to us and visits us every day in the classroom. She is really cool. She has a hard job though. But the main thing is that she gets things done, and she is not there to be friends with everyone. So sometimes it comes with the job, if parents don't like her. But the kids love her and respect her and and my mom and dad love her and thats what counts to me.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 8, 2008

Our 3 children attended San Tan and then spent just 1 semester at a real school -- Las Sendas Elem. They had tremendous difficulty at Las Sendas due to the high expectations of teachers and faculty. They were not used to that thanks to San Tan Elem! Unfortunately they are back at the very backward school San Tan Elem. The teachers there are unbelievably unprofessional, etc. Shame on San Tan Elem.

Posted October 1, 2008

I agree with the last post that information is too late. As parents we need more than one days notice of an event for our children. I also agree the Assistant Principal is very unprofessional. I have heard her berade students in the office in front of parents, students, and other teachers. I have asked for a meeting with her and I could hear her in her office complaining about having to meet with me. This school can not get better until she is replaced. There are great teachers in the school though! Mr. Johnson, Ms. Grote, and Ms. Broadley have helped my son tremendously this year. They care about the students and helping them, they don't see the students as a number. I wish more of the teachers cared as much as they do. Overall, the school has been better than recent years.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Hungarian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Performing Plus and AYP (2010)

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 8:25 am
School end time
  • 3:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Art Moncibaez
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Mathematics
  • Science
  • Special education
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Pinal County Health

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Mountian Vista Middle School

2500 W. San Tan Heights Blvd.
Queen Creek, AZ 85242