Willie & Coy Payne Jr. High School

Public | 7-8

Posted July 24, 2014

Five stars all the way! Close to Navarette elementary and Basha High School! New and clean!

Posted August 16, 2013

The Principal is awesome, the VP is a good communicator, and Miss K is wonderful, but a few of the instructors at PJHS are absolutely horrible. If you have a child in M.A.'s Algebra class, get them out of it as soon as possible. This instructor assigns 25-60 problems for homework on a daily basis with minimal explanation of how to do the work. That is, if you can read the tiny font the homework in. This instructor is very condescending toward students who give incorrect answers in her classroom. This instructor doesn't understand that there are different ways in math to form an equation to get to the correct answer. It's either this instructor's way or you are wrong, even if the work results in a correct answer. Another one to avoid is young Science teacher A. M. This instructor is an absolute nightmare who plays favorites with the students. Has no control of the classroom what so ever. If this instructor does not like your child, they will not get a good grade like the class pets. Does not like to be questioned by parents. If your child didn't attend PJHS in 7th grade and is one of the better 8th grade athletes, dont expect them to be picked for a team due to favoritism.

Posted May 23, 2013

I attended Payne the first 2 years it was open during the '05-'06 and '06-'07 school years. There have been quite a bit of changes as far as teachers coming and going since I left, however a lot of the teachers I had are still there so I think my review is still relevant. I loved Payne and have so many great memories of my time there. The staff and teachers were very friendly and approachable. It was obvious they truly cared about the students. Most of the teachers are young so they have a lot of energy and excitement about the curriculum they teach. My teachers were were very hands on in the way they taught and were rarely sitting at their desks for longer than a few minutes. Most of my teachers, especially Mr. Giaramita, were constantly challenging us to push ourselves past what we thought we were capable of. Looking back I am very grateful for this because it has helped me tremendously both in high school and now in college. There is a very warm energy on campus. I can't remember ever dreading going to school mainly because I knew I was going to have fun each day. In my opinion, speaking as a former student, Payne is a fantastic school.

Posted May 12, 2013

I have two children in this Jr High. Thier first year in this school form another school district in a high class area. My kids tell me; the cirriculum is lower than thier standards, probably because of the the lower learning skills of the kids raised in the area. Expectations of good grades and performance are throttled back to perform to Texas standards. Fights are rampant, bullying is rampant and open drug use is open. I even asked the Dean of Students for Sex Offender notifications within the area and she refused to provide. If you your children have to go to this school then protect them and supplement their learning material. The school is full of unfortunate low income racsist children banding in gangs. The Teachers try but are outnumbered and held back by the School Administrators who are only want make thier jobs secure. Do not let your kids attend this school unless your prepared to teach them yourself and deprograme them after school.

Posted May 8, 2013

Reading the other posts, it appears Payne is a Love it or Hate it school. Sadly we are the latter. I've never before (and we have 5 children) counted down the days to get out of a school! We've seen many students leave Payne and move to the Home School route or on-line classes because they were so unhappy here. I've found that most of the teachers we've dealt with here seem vary worn-out or genuinely do not like the 13-14 year old age group. I've witnessed the teachers be rude and condescending and have yet to find a teacher who encourages thinking outside of the box. Sounds like the CATS teachers might be the exception. I will say that we absolutely love Ms. Kitty and Ann-Marie in the office and Mr. Phillips has been very approachable and helpful in the past. All in all - can't wait to be done with the PAYNE of this Junior High.

Posted December 16, 2012

I graduated from the CATS program at Payne last year. It's utterly exceptional. The teachers in this program are better, smarter, and more qualified than most of the teachers at Basha High (which I am attending this year). The most unique feature was the fact that the cats program not only taught me facts, but also how to think and respond to real-world issues. I highly recommend the program. Otherwise, Payne is a fun school, and a much better option for your child in comparison to some of the other CUSD schools (Santan, Willis, etc.). The environment is very friendly, and the school is clean in all possible meanings of the word. It is sanitary, as well as drug and bully free. The teachers and administration are kind and caring. Payne also has 'teams' which means that a group of 100 or so kids share the same core-class teacher. This helps so much in making friends! It's like a giant family.

Posted November 29, 2012

Payne Junior High is an excellent school! The teachers and staff are knowledgeable and helpful! They go above and beyond for their students! The administration is supportive and visible. The overall school experience is an A plus, my son enjoys attending this top rated school! Their test scores say it all.

Posted July 8, 2012

My son just completed his 2 years at Payne. We were extremely happy with this school and all of my son's teachers. My son was part of the CATS program and therefore had the same group of teachers for both years. They were the absolute best teachers ever!!!! They not only taught him they also got him to think about and discuss relevant topics, different problem solving approaches, and challenge himself to think and look at his education and life in many different ways. His experience at Payne with these teachers have completely prepared him for high school and beyond!

Posted July 18, 2011

Although many of the previous comments were very negative, I LOVED this schol. This may contribute to my wonderful Honor's techers but I have not seen a teacher in the school that does not care. However, classes are full of kids who talk and dont care and make things up to their parents. And Tutoring IS AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES OF THE DAY.

Posted July 15, 2011

We attended payne in 2010 and needed help with after school tutoring for my son, and they told me that they do not offer it.. so that was a contributing factor in my child failing as homework was what he needed help in. They have a sink or swim mentality with work, and my son sliped through the cracks of this system. What made it a cold slap in the face for me- was that they told me he should take summer school to dicipline his lack of application in his homework, but then said that it would not help him to go onto the next grade level. Now no other open enrollment school wants to take him do to his failing 7th grade because they want to see good grades to accept their applicants. Had I known that this was how Payne Jr. High treated their struggling students I never would have enrolled my son there.

Posted June 3, 2011

If I could give this school a ZERO star rating, I would. Worst school experience ever. We came from an accelerated K-6 program, and this year was beneath my son's instruction of 2.5 years ago. Disappointed doesn't cover it. That's not to mention that the staff has been utterly unhelpful and fails to return my emails and phone calls, and on the rare (perhaps 10% of the time) occasion that they do, my issues are not resolved. In addition, he was taught in social studies that "America is an expansionistic super-power bent on dominating the world's oil." That was just the first of many ridiculous Anti-American rhetorics we heard from that teacher. His language arts teacher was downright rude to my son and I continually to the point of making my son self-conscious to even be around her, an attribute he does not usually have. I am no complainer. Our previous school, CTA FREEDOM elementary gains my highest respect, and we have been there with our children since they opened it 6 years ago. I can't imagine a worse school than Payne. We will seek other educational opportunities next year, no matter how far we must drive. No child of mine will ever attend this school again.

Posted February 17, 2011

The 7th grade Math department is less than willing to work with parents who have a child who is struggling.

Posted November 30, 2010

Unlike most, my experience at Payne has been less than satisfactory. The students and teachers make little effort to learn and teach and the curriculum is all review so I can see why your grades may get better. As a student, I definitely do not recommend this school.

Posted November 18, 2010

This is my child's first year at Payne, having come from a K-8 school and she is so happy there. Her grades have come up so quickly and she absolutely loves her teachers. I find all her teachers very friendly and very helpful when it comes to my daughter's school work and grades. I highly recommend this school. Your child will love it.

Posted October 24, 2010

Payne Junior High is the best school I have ever been to! They have great teachers, fun activities, and everyone is so nice there! I love it!!

Posted August 25, 2009

payne is amazing. i moved here last summer and i am in 8th grade and the teachers are sooo nice
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 17, 2009

This place is amazing the principal is so nice and the teachers are so helpful. they want your kids to do great in life.

Posted May 24, 2008

In response to an earlier posting by a student, there is a security person on staff, he uses his 1st name with the students. There is 1 part time resource officer for the 2007-08 school year. And dress code is not enforced, please stop by and see for yourself. Nor are many of the other rules. Consequences are handed out based upon the individual and not the guidelines for the rule that was broken. And its sad to read that even current students, not just parents, are unfamiliar with the principal. The Dean is nice, but not tough. Parents need to pay more attention to students using 'weed' and alcohol, talk to their own children about whether or not they know of students engaging in illegal acts.

Posted March 27, 2008

My daughter is an 8th grader at Payne. She is an open enrollment student and she is excelling at this school. The teachers are supportive and want their students to do well. Payne Junior High is a wonderful school.

Posted November 26, 2007

The payne panters are the best i love all my teachers and hope to see more. if you want a jr high you found it Payne is number 1!
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

700 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

700 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

689 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

693 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

693 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7655 S. Higley Rd.