Skyline Ranch Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 713 students

A positive, caring environment where students strive for academic excellence

Posted July 14, 2014

I am pleased with the education that my kindergartner received last year. He transferred mid year and was really behind with his reading. by the end of the school year thanks to his teacher he was up to speed and is now reading short books. I really appreciate the teacher's daily emails to keep parents updated on the kids curriculum it really helped me help my child achieve success. I am looking forward to the next 8 years of my child's education at skyline ranch.

Posted April 2, 2014

SKYLINE RANCH is an amazing school with the BEST admin and teachers-all employees are wonderful!!! Every member of the Skyline Staff has made a difference in one way or another for my children that have been attending Skyline since kindergarden, we are currently on year 7. The entire staff demonstrate positive behaviors and a culture like no other which has changed, grown and improved over the past couple of years. The teachers care about the students and encourage them to do their best in everything they do, academics, sports, behavior, attitute, BARK!!! I look forward to the next couple of years Skyline!

Posted February 21, 2014

I have loved Skyline Ranch for my Kindergarten son! He had ADHD and his teacher has been amazing! He has improved in all areas since the beginning of the year, and has learned so much so far. The staff is always friendly. I feel like this is a safe school that looks out for the students safety. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a great school in this area.

Posted January 9, 2014

Skyline Ranch K-8, Very pleased with all the staff & every single teacher my child has had thus far. We have been @ this school for 6 yrs & will continue to be a part of it. Looking forward to another awesome yr. with a lot of new faces (principle & vice principle, teachers etc) Finally I can say I feel safe with the way the drop off & pick up for students has evolved. Awesome School, fun& friendly staff that are willing to educate our students & willing to answer any parents questions or concerns. Thank you Skyline Ranch K-8 for encouraging my kids to strive to the fullest of All their achievements!!

Posted November 4, 2013

My kids are new to this school this year. I like how involved the staff is with the kids. I like how they take time to take turns to supervise the kids from before school to after. I like how they are very concerned with the safety I the kids. It eases my mind. Seeing this is there first year at Skyline I can't comment on the education. I'm waiting to see. But as for the staff they are great!

Posted August 4, 2013

Wow, what a difference with the new administrators. They are everywhere. I went in to put money on my son's lunch account and all three were in the cafeteria supervising the kids. My son says they are in there everyday. Each morning when I drop off my son they are they are in the front of the building welcoming the kids. It really is a pleasant change from the past few years. My son loves going to school this year and always talks about kids getting awards for good behavior. I see a lot of great things happening at the school. If it continues this is going to be a great year. Great job Florence for putting new administrators in the school. The teachers seem very happy too.

Posted August 1, 2013

My children have been going to this school for 3 years and I have seen a lot of improvement in the quality of care provided to the students. The staff is nice and really treats the students like family. This school offers a lot of extra curricular activities for the students to be involved in.

Posted March 17, 2013

Great school improving every year... Office staff can be a little bet more friendly. Was given a tour by Jackie, very friendly answerd my question and the princpal toook time to speak to our family. My girls love the school and their Bully prevention program. I was even offered a parenting community class.

Posted October 11, 2011

love it, MUCH better than when we were at skyline ranch, my daughters grades went up, the teacher still enjoys teaching unlike teachers we have had at schools past. love the people in the office, and everyone is more than willing to help when we have a question.

Posted September 22, 2011

Horrible school. I taught here for one year and they have NO interest in your children! Just interested in how many kids they can fit into a classroom!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 2, 2011

This school is probably the one of the worst schools my children have ever attended!!! Kids are out of control in the classrooms, teachers and administration do nothing about it, even after being reported several times. The administration is terrible, the people who work the front desk are are only there to collect a paycheck and really don't care what happens at the school as long as they are getting paid. Do not send your child to this school!

Posted January 4, 2011

This school is lacking from the moment it starts. This school year started with all the parents and students showing up for registration and NONE of the schedules being ready for 6 to 8 grade. When they did print them they were incorrect. Missing classes and incorrect classes. Then a quarter into the year they issued the teachers a lesson plan, and started a "Reteach" program. Kids sit a hear the same thing they have already learned in the regular math and english classes. It has no enrichment portion, even though that is part of the name of these new classes. It is mid year and there are schedule problems again. There is no challenge in the classroom. (When a teacher says they are challenging your child but they have a 99% to 100% in the class there is no learning occuring.) Add into all of this that there is NO involvement by parents. I went to a PTO meeting and there were 6 people present including me and the PTO board. I was offered the open position on the board because I showed up. I am looking for a private school for both of my kids. Put your kid in a charter school like eduprize or Ben Franklin.

Posted July 15, 2010

We have been ecstatic with the teachers and principal. That is what is most important in a school!

Posted February 28, 2010

When we moved to Skyline I heard many bad things about the school but couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised they were wrong. I have been so impressed with the teachers commitment to the kids and the value of learning they are teaching. Parent involvement really makes a big impact on how children learn, and I think that if the parents take an active role in their children the teachers will be able to succeed more. The bad reviews are from years ago and the rating on this site does not reflect the current status of the school.

Posted February 2, 2010

Great school! The teachers and staff are very friendly and my son really enjoys going to this school.

Posted January 26, 2010

I think the test scores speak for themselves. We all have opinions and very specific experiances. Even as a very involved parent, without the combined effort from the teacher, it remains a losing battle. Teaching is not a 'job' it is a career choice and should be treated that way by every teacher or they are in teaching for the wrong reasons. Unfortunatly, our teachers are not graded as our students are, and if they were, many of them would have to change their ways or be on their way. This is a result of the Florence District allowing low standards to be kept by their teaching staff. My son repeatedly complains about how tired he is of the teachers yelling. That really does not make a pleasant learning environment. I don't blame the teachers, I blame FUSD for establishing and maintaining incredibly low standards.

Posted December 21, 2009

I have two boys that attend this school and can say nothing but great things about it! I have never had a problem here, and the teachers that I have dealt with over the last two years have been great. As far as overcrowding is concerned, you show me a public school that doesn't have 20-30 kids per class. I'm thirty years old and they had the same problem back when I was in school. Overall I would rate Skyline a great and safe school to attend.

Posted October 18, 2009

I am currently an 8th grader at Skyline Ranch. I have attended this school for about four years and would have to admit that this school has changed big time since the first year! Most teachers care for the students to succeed in their class.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 8, 2009

I am now a Seventh Grade student at Skyline Ranch and I think that the school is amazing!I will have been a Student there for 2 years now and over the time I have seen a great improvement in the school.The teachers work hard to make sure their classes have all the materials needed,They have even go out of their way to bring in items of their own such as movies that have to do with the material we are learing in class,during AIMS,(My teacher was unaware of the snacks we got from the school)and spent her money on snacks for the students so they didn't have to go without.They listen to the students when they have a problem/concern with the class/student.They handle the situation in a very fair way and now they are even moving students to Magma Ranch to'cut down'on the population problem.--A Skyline Student
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 20, 2007

I also have two kids at this school. I was scared to death to send them to this school after reading some of the postings on this page but I have found my experience to be the complete opposite from those postings. The people who are upset that there are 22 to 25 kids in a class need to visit any public school back east. We grew up with 35 kids to a class and we still got a good education. I agree with the person who said the parents need to step up. Take the time to educate YOUR child. Take ownership of your own responsibility and stop putting it off on the school and teachers. My kids teachers good and let me know right away if there is an issue that needs to be addressed. I am pleased with my decision to send my kids to this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 52%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Drama club
  • Yearbook

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:05 am
School end time
  • 3:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mr. Toby Haugen
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 655-6136

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Level of special education programming offered

Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club
  • National Honor Society
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
714
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
714

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Poston Butte High School