Ellsworth Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted March 24, 2013

My kids have attended this school for a couple years now and they have been doing great. The most important thing to me is how well the teachers work with their students. There are some negatives, but I am sure every school has something that could be improved. Overall my kids love it and I know how much the teachers care.

Posted February 12, 2013

I am moving to the area and have been trying to decide which school I am sending my son to. I have called this school several times in the past few weeks and have never had anyone answer. To me this is very frustrating and makes me feel that another school would be a better choice even though I will be living a block from this school. the star ratings are not applicable to me so please do not go by that

Posted August 28, 2012

Office staff has been very friendly and helpful the times I have gone in. The teachers seem to understand what is develpmentally appropriate which is nice to see. My kids are really happy so I am too.

Posted August 21, 2012

Truly disappointed in this school. The teachers treat kids like they are stupid. The homework is the same thing over and over again each week. It is done in one day and then they can play the rest of the week because it is not do until the end of the week. The staff never answers the phone. They lose important paperwork which then in return causes issues. The principal allows bad behavior to go on at the school especially bullies and tell them to learn to deal with the bullies. There isn't much of a school support system there either. If I would have known it was going to be this bad...I would have never would have moved into the neighborhood. DON'T SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL unless you don't care about your child's education.

Posted August 20, 2012

As a parent of a student st this school it is unacceptable that we have to call 6 or more times to get them to answer the phone. on many,many occassions, I have called over and over and only get voice mail. They have my child during the day, so I need to know I can reach someone.

Posted August 28, 2011

The school could use more of a "team" attitude within the staff and parents but overall my child loves coming to the school and most of the teachers are wonderful.

Posted May 15, 2011

I felt that my child was bored in this school. My child knew most of the materials that was given before he enter the school. They do not accommodate for those that are above the average student. They also lack communication with the parents and the PTO is not very personal to those that don't attend the PTO meetings. I ended up putting my child in a different school (a charter school) where my child is actually learning something. I would not recommend this school to anyone and the principal is not much better than the rest of the staff. I would recommend putting your child in a charter school before I would recommend this school ever!!!

Posted May 13, 2011

I love this school, they staff is always doing the best. I love to have a great school in my neighborhood.

Posted April 21, 2010

This is a comminuty school. The parents and teachers have strong PTO and sense of pride for the school. We are truly a village.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 17, 2009

not happy need more teachers.

Posted November 20, 2008

The school is in it's second year now, and I am extremely pleased. I agree with other parents that the front office staff is amazing, very responsive, and always recognizes my husband, my attending child and my pre-school age children by name. The teachers routines, although sketchy last year, have been solidified and work well now. The school, in it's first year, was rated performing plus, which is a wonderful feat the entire staff should be very proud of! I love Ellsworth and will do everything to help sponsor the school for my younger children to enjoy too. I have never had any issues with any staff member responding to our inquisitions or concerns promptly and professionally.

Posted November 19, 2008

This school is awesome. The District is lacking a little though. This school has a high enrollment compared to the others in this District. They are the smallest building with the most amount of kids, and they received the Highest label. That says a lot for the teachers, staff & principal.

Posted August 18, 2008

I love the front office staff and amdministration! They are always positive, upbeat, and helpful. The administration is always visible throughout the school and very supportive of her staff. Safety of the students is a priority in this school! In response to an earlier comment about attendance, they sent home a letter during testing time explaining the reasons for being concerned about attendance. That is part of the state requirements during AIMS testing. They have to have over a certain average. I don't know of any schools that aren't concerned with attenandce.

Posted July 30, 2008

Ellsworth is a school with wonderful, caring children who come prepared each day and ready to learn. Ellsworth can be an excelling school once the proper administration treats staff with the respect deserved. Ellsworth's 1st year was made up of caring teachers who were eager to learn. The parent support was wonderful and the PTO rocked! Also, those art classes that the school lacks were voted down on the ballots, that wasn't a school based decision. Unfortunately the taxes in the community may need to go up for the students to benefit from art programs. Best of luck for the following years.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 18, 2008

I am extremely pleased with the education my child is getting here. I love the fact it is an indoor school and that they have a Smart Board in every classroom. My child's teacher was AWESOME! She did reading groups on a regular basis and challenged her high groups with Lit. Studies, Book Reports and Research Reports! My child had a wonderful experience in second grade at Ellsworth Elementary, home of the Excelling Eagles.

Posted May 30, 2008

I'm very happy with this school. The teachers are great. Its a growing community and I believe if the parents put in more effort to work with their kids and the school, then this school will be a great school. If you want more parents to participate you need to inform them of your meeting a few days in advance. Not the day before.

Posted May 13, 2008

I feel like the school is lacking in many areas also (fine arts, music, etc). I have had a few issues this year with my daughters and when I have approached the principal, she in turn blames the teachers. It has been pretty rocky to say the least. I know that all first year schools go through growing pains but I have yet to see anything dynamic about this school. I guess we will have to wait and see. Oh, also parent participation is horrible. At every activity, you always see the same people over and over again. Don't get me worng, I love the people that show up because I know most of them really well, but it would be nice to see a variety of parents that are willing to invest in the education of their children. Maybe this would help the shool improve! :)

Posted April 7, 2008

My kids have been happy here this year. The teachers are great and despite being its first year things seem to be progressing smoothly. I would like to see a rewards program for the well behaved... alot of time seems to be wasted focusing on bad behavior issues. Also, its sad to see the lack of attention to the arts i.e. art, music, and even science. The kids have 2 seperate computer classes each week. Its almost as if they are being taught this is the only area of importance. Our teachers are wonderful though and are genuinely focusing on each child as best they can. Class sizes are around 30 kids +/- a few. Its sad to see public school principals who only care about attendance rather than grades. We as parents care more about the education our children are receiving rather than the attendace records during AIMS testing time.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 38%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

38454 N. Carolina Ave