Newell Barney Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted June 23, 2014

Why is it they remove every honest review that is posted on here? They ask for honest opinions, and then they are pulled from the reviews. Keep hiding the truth and the kids are the ones who suffer. We know first hand about this once we removed our child and enrolled them in another school. Pre testing showed they were tow grade levels behind, but received A's in the classes, SAD.

Posted May 22, 2014

How is it a child can fail four out of five final exams after posting almost straight A's for the second semester, and still end up with A's??? Oh I know, there was one assignment that had 115 questions, that my child only completed 35, and her grade showed 115-115 correct A+. If you care about your childs education, and want them to learn above their grade level, do not attend NBJHS. All you'll get from the principal is a promise to call you back, and never hear from her again. She don't care, nor does she know what is going on. A perfect example of a salaried position that keeps from hiring good teachers. You're only as good as your leader, and in this case, they lack one big time. She should be working at Goodwill as a volunteer.

Posted May 6, 2014

I'm commenting on the last review who can't say a good word about the principal. She is wrong ! The principal is very hands on and she is very attentive to parents and students. She is a genuine person and NOT a phony person. This review MUST HAVE A PERSONAL ISSUE that she using the internet to disparage the principal and school. My child is HAPPY and IS LEARNING! It's up to you as a parent and a student to get the most our if your own life in any situation. I guess some folks expect everything to be handed to them or to be PERFECT or else they send our bad reviews. This school is good and does not at all deserve this type of a negative review. Maybe some parents need to look at themselves and their own child if they don't like something instead if throwing sticks and stones! Just sayin! For the record: The Principal is amazing and the Vice Principal too!

Posted January 30, 2014

My daughter is in seventh grade and doesn't like going to school anymore. She has always loved school. She has been getting bullied all year. We have talked with the teachers and counselor but things just haven't gotten better for her. The teachers seem like they have way to many kids per class in order to teach well. We are currently looking for a different school for eighth grade.

Posted January 10, 2014

Today I went to this school to enroll my child. The office staff was rude and then left multiple times to go get help and discuss the enrollment with whoever else in the back office. Finally the principle came out with an above all attitude and told me "We won't transport", which I never even asked for. Once I told her it was ok she then told me to wait for another 20 minutes. She finally came out to inform me that they would not accept my special needs kid because they were too full in the special education department. Then she told me that I could fill out the open enrollment form but said "honestly" it's full! Not happy with them.

Posted October 8, 2013

Wow, this year the office staff has gone down hill. So glad this is my final year, with my last baby. I would take him out, but the teachers seem good. Office staff, doesn't have a clue what they are doing this year. Very sad.

Posted May 8, 2013

I'm currently 7th grade and really do like this school. This school has really fun teachers, but sometimes they don't slow down for the students to learn anything, but they teach you many important skills for the future. The students here are all different and there is many that don't get along well with others. Although, there are many activities here and a really good system.

Posted April 25, 2013

2nd year for me too, and I couldn't agree more when it comes to Mr. H and his athletic department. However, I DO DISAGREE, on how the office staff is "rude". I am one of those parents who is constantly on campus for one thing or the other, and I have always felt welcomed. I love the ladies in the front office. They always seem so happy to see me. I often see the ladies kidding with the kids, making them feel comfortable. (and I have seen them discipline, when needed as well). I love this school, and could not be happier with the staff employed by it. Thanks QC. Don't let these ladies go.

Posted April 15, 2013

My son has been here finishing up his 2nd year. The athletic program is excellent! Mr. H. Is a great guy with a lot on his plate and still manages to do a superior job.. The teachers are all "ok". Ive never had any complaints. I'd give this school 5 stars but the front office staff is horrible. If they dont think the kids come home and tell us how rude and degrading they are to them when parents arent around they may think twice. My son has even overheard them bad mouthing other parents as well. They are very unprofessional. Other than that this would be a great school. Hoping next year they have new front office people!

Posted April 20, 2012

My daughter goes to this school. She in 7th grade. And she hates it. Some of the teacher are rude and disrespectful. My child came crying to me the other day and how disrespectful the teacher was to her. When ever I go to drop her off or to pick her up the staff are always with a long face. There is so much bulling going on in the school that when you go and talk to the principle about it, she doesn't even know what's going. I'm so looking forward of removing my kids from this school!

Posted November 30, 2010

i go to newell barney and im in seventh grade, i have been here for two months and i completely hate this school. the kids that go there are rude and careless and the teachers could care less, it really makes me mad that i have to continue going here. DO NOT GO HERE!!!

Posted February 11, 2010

My daughter started at this school when it was 6th and 7th. She is now in 7th and they've added 8th and taken away 6th. I just love this school!! And so does my daughter. Everyone here is very positive and the teachers have been wonderful in communicating with me. Keep up the great school!!

Posted October 26, 2009

It's a great school! Brand new campus, nice teachers, nice kids, good administration.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

395 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

390 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

24937 South Sossaman