School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Leading Edge Academy is a tuition free public Charter School. We are committed to providing an educational program where each child can reach his/her personal potential. Our staff has a combined experience of 145 years in education (Average: 11 yrs. per teacher). Teachers provide encouragement, respect, patience and understanding for all students. A values-based environment challenges students to grow in personal character. We received a letter grade of B from the state of Arizona for student academic progress for two years running. This is equivalent to the previously earned state label of Highly Performing School. 100% of our 2011-12 5th graders (the highest grade level on this campus) scored MEETS or EXCEEDS on AIMS Reading. Leading Edge is partnering in a 3 yr program with the Center for Student Achievement in their Quality Schools Program. You are welcome to stop by for a visit any time.
July 16, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Kids get bullied if they don't attend the local church. The first time their was a negative review Mr. Butcher sends out a school and church wide e- mail to counter act the parents opinions. Keep that in mind when you look at list of 5 stars the school has. Are they parents or community stars.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

Only for the kids that live and think as everyone else. The idea of community means it applys to church members only.

They put church over education. If you have a child on an IEP don't look to this school for help.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

My child was called anti social by the principle after months of being bullied.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Kid are easily pointed out and laughed at if the can't keep up.

Great staff, caring principle, high commitment to treating students respectfully. The principal sets the tone. He's great with kids, very professional, kind, and really cares about the students. The staff is incredible. They really care about the students too. I volunteered in classroom & was very impressed with the teacher & how she could get such focus & cooperation out of all these small kids. My daughter has learned so much, so fast! I was surprised at how fast the curriculum accelerated but equally surprised at how well it was taught & comprehended by the students. I think, being in San Tan, you will find a few kids from disconnected families with some behavior issues, but the staff is very patience with them & work hard to help them without coming down harshly on their poor behavior. Kids are treated with respect in my experience. Great school.

My children went here for two years. My younger child for Kinder and first. My older child for first and second. I want to start off positive. Most teachers here are very friendly and know who I am as the parent and which child I belong to. I love that. Now to the negative. I voiced concerns several times about a mean teacher. She would take the classes snack time away and make their lunch shorter. She was able to do this because they don't have a cafeteria and eat lunch in their classroom. I was assured that this wasn't happening because the teachers are not allowed to take food away only encourage with incentives like a candy. Well, a week later the principal emailed saying he had spoken to the teacher and this was happening. He assured me he told her the rules and it wouldn't happen anymore. A few weeks later and my child told me it was happening again. I spoke with the principal and he said my child was lying. Ok. It was towards the end of the year I let it go. The teacher didn't return the following year. Another thing is the teachers aren't evolved much with the children. On the tour before my children started here I was told they would get extra help if need outside the classroom. This never happend. I asked for my younger children to have help with reading and handwriting because they failed in Kindergarten to prepare him for first grade. He is now in 2nd at a new school and struggling because Leading Edge failed him. They failed to take a few minutes everyday and help him. This is my child's future and now has to try and Play catch up or be held back. The same for my older child who is struggling with math. The curriculum they used at Leading Edge is inferior to what they use at nearby Charters. I am very disappointed with this school. They didn't hold up to their end of the bargain and my children are paying for it with their education. Shame on you and You Mr.BUTCHER!

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

For the two years my children attended Leading Edge I have yet to see one teacher go out of her way. They spend the bare minimum time in the class and that is it. No extra help is given when needed.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My children practiced and previously tired the same homwork for weeks. It seemed they were never learning new concepts

Develops character: Disagree

Sure they say they promote "Character " yet for the two years my children attended this school I have yet to see them participate in an activity that showed them what by this was.

Last modified Leading Edge Academy Queen Creek is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.