Public charter
Queen Creek, AZ
Students enrolled: 1,484
After care: No

Posted April 11, 2015
I've been attending ALA for about 4 years now since the 7th grade. At first I liked the program and what it had to offer but it all went down south when I began my sophomore year. Not only did they fire 2 of my teachers due to cuts I also had to get my schedule changed without my permission both times. ALA did not even ask me if I liked the new classes and teachers I was put into. They give out lame excuses on why teachers are being fired, if granted they even tell the students. ALA is quite possibly the most corrupt school I've ever seen. The student have had not one but TWO protest over the firing of a popular and successful athletic director. I am proud to say I was part of this. Then ALA says you parents need to sign you back in if you're caught participating. I'm sorry isn't it in the Constitution of all things to have freedom of speech and expression?! The students are fed up with ALA wasting money on new campuses and teachers that disappear on the spot cause they were "expendable". This school is filled with kids that are brainwashed into thinking ALA is great and will shun you if you think anything other than that. If you love your kids don't send them here.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 18, 2015
My kids have gone here for 3 years and what started out as a great concept has turned into a nightmare. Like a lot of Charter Schools in Arizona, the best way to get ahead at this school is to be friends with the owner. If you are friends with him, your kids can stay out of trouble and get ahead at the school. My kids have worked hard, made good grades and stayed out of trouble, but opportunities for them have been few as I don't hold the clout of being one of the elite parents who will kiss up to the owner. After further investigating, I've seen this owner has a history of opening up schools and bankrupting them and then jumping up and moving to another state. BEWARE! Wonder why they are throwing up schools so fast??? The charter management organization that makes the money off of the building is owned by Glenn Way. The more school buildings he opens, the more rent he collects, regardless of number of children in the seats.
5 people found this helpful

Posted February 22, 2015
this school has so many problems. they fire teachers, but build 2 new schools. my kid had to get his schedule changed for the school firing teachers. he didnt even have any of the teachers that were fired.... the teachers are very rude. my sons science teacher points out every mistake and makes stupid embarrassing jokes. the class sizes are way too big or way too small. the electives are so much money. take your kid out now or as soon as possible.

Posted February 22, 2015
I have to say, I really used to like this school. When my daughter was in the 6th grade, everything was wonderful. Of course though, this was at the Gilbert campus and it was before the school had its growth spurt. When my son and daughter switched to Queen Creek ALA, they began to notice some things. One, there is a very STRONG LDS background. Some students talked to my christian daughter, and tried to convince her to convert. At SCHOOL! I thought there was a separation between church and school. Two, they are very disorganized. At the beginning of this year, we didn't know where the bus would pick them up until the day BEFORE school started! I did not pay them an 850$ buss fee plus elective fees, for tardy information. Third, and last, They fire teachers in the middle of the year. My daughter and son have suffered from MULTIPLE teacher altercations in just ONE year! This school needs to make changes before school starts or after the school year ends not in between. I hope you read this, DO NOT send your kid here!

American Leadership Academy - Queen Creek 4

Posted December 17, 2014
My son attends Mesa ALA. I thought it was very interesting when I read all the reviews. I know there are many different ALA' s around the valley. We attend the Mesa campus and we do not feel the LDS pressure at all. In fact, most students and staff members are NOT lds. It might be assumed that they are. But I know all the staff on a personal level and I only know of 2 that are LDS. Now as far as the school goes it is a pretty good school. It definitely has it flaws. One of my biggest complaints is the lack of communication. But in a world where we have to worry about bullying and other issues I am happy to report this does not seem to happen at ALA. It has a positive feeling within the school. It feels like one big family. I hope this school has continued success in the future.

Posted November 21, 2014
ALA I thought was going to be a wonderful school...the concept is fantastic. However the staff especially administration is very clickish and kids are suffering because of it. They are very judgemental instead of just seeing people as different they get snooty and judge you as being wrong. This school is headed down hill fast.
10 people found this helpful

Posted August 14, 2014
So happy with the school! My 4 kids attend, this is their 2nd year and they love it!

Posted July 18, 2014
This is such a great school!! The teachers are wonderful and really care about education. I have noticed that alot of students are LDS, it does not matter if the students are or not....the education of the students is priority at this school. I have had 2 of my children go there and graduate! They did extremely well with A's and B's on their report card. The staff are busy when you walk into the office, so sometimes you might have to wait for a minute, but they Always take care of you. LOVE THIS SCHOOL!!

Posted July 15, 2014
We have been very pleased with ALA overall. We transferred from BFCS (also a great school), because we feel that ALA is more well-rounded. The atmosphere is loving, and the staff really wants to be there! We feel that any concerns we've had have been addressed and the admin. has an open door policy. We are glad to have our children learning here.

American Leadership Academy - Queen Creek 3

Posted June 01, 2014
Academically, I am like with this school. Some of the teachers have really helped my kids, but then I find out tht 90% of the teachers are not returning. Strange. I am not happy that is very biased to the LDS group. Some of the reward/ incentive trips are to help service LDS people and are geared to the LDS kids. How is that a reward for getting good grades. I am not happy with the front office staff. You can stand there while they talk to amongst themselves before helping you. The last day of school you had the option of going to 8th grade promotion or come in cleaning attire (with gloves) to clean the school. Free child labor. Staff kids wander the school without getting in trouble. And for some reason they do not do the state tax credit. What is that about? How does a public charter school not take the state tax credit.

American Leadership Academy - Queen Creek
23908 S Hawes Rd, Queen Creek, AZ  85142
Last modified American Leadership Academy - Queen Creek is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
American Leadership Academy - Queen Creek Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top