No rating

Sahuarita Primary School

Public | PK-2 & ungraded | 779 students

Posted December 31, 2013

Great school! Love the teachers! My daughter did very well here after coming from a poor school in SC (military)!

Posted May 19, 2013

This was my kids first year going to this school and I love everything about it. As soon as you walk on campus you can tell the administration loves being there and loves the kids. The principle is awesome, sad it only goes up to 2nd grade and my daugter will be going to a new school next year.

Posted May 8, 2013

A truly top notch school with the best administration and staff a school could possibly have. I am continually impressed by Principal Anderson and her positive and nurturing personality. She deals fairly and consistently with all students and has always been very approachable. Everyone is warm and engaging from the front office staff to the aides. The campus looks clean and the grounds are well kept. I know some would say this school is "old" but I believe that is part of its charm. My three children have had the best experiences here and absolutely LOVE school. Where else does the Principal jump rope with students, give out special pencils every Friday, go in a dunk tank to raise funds and have lunch with students who earn AR awards? This truly is a special community and I want to thank Principal Anderson and her staff for creating a special experience for my children and our family. Please keep up the great work!!

Posted January 10, 2012

Wonderful teachers and administration. My child is getting a wonderful education here!! I am very involved as a substitute as well here and the experience that I have had has been wonderful. The principal and office staff are like a family and the caring individuals at this school make it one of the best schools around!!!

Posted October 13, 2011

When we started attending SPS last year, it didn't leave a good taste in my mouth. There was an extremely unfriendly office staff, who thankfully is no longer there; and my daughter's teacher did not even introduce herself to us on our first day. We started after the beginning of the year and it was very traumatic for my daughter. She did not want to be left with a teacher who did not even greet her. It was not a good day for either of us. Now she has adjusted well, has a fantastic teacher this year and seems to be happy. Some children are unruly in the classroom and not much is done about it. And they do not get much time for lunch. Those are my twoissues.

Posted August 10, 2011

I took my kids out of this school, because of the administration. Most of the teachers we had were great, but after three years of continued battles with the principal, I couldn't handle it any more. Anything that happened on the bus, in the classroom, or on the playground was all my kid's fault. He was labeled a troublemaker mostly because if he did get in trouble I would agree that he needed to face his punishment. If the other parents objected, their kids were not equally dealt with. So, of you do send your kids to this school, be as unreasonable as possible, and insist that your little angel didn't do anything, even if you punish them at home. I would recommend charter schools, or going out of district if possible. My son is also a gifted student, and there are no opportunities for him at Sahuarita.

Posted April 26, 2011

My daughter was in Kindergarten this year at SPS and has had a wonderful experience. She was our first child to attend school and of course we were apprehensive, but her teacher Ms. Hobbs, was excellent. Communication with teachers was excellent and I ever had a question about anything, answers came quickly. The school has a lot of great ways to keep both students and parents involved. Couldn't really ask for a better experience, hoping next year will be more of the same!

Posted March 10, 2011

This is my son's first year at SPS. He is a gifted student. When we moved here I was disappointed to find that SPS does not have a structured gifted program until grade 2. After some persistence on my part my son's teacher finally started to set him appropriate homework and to the school's credit they now have an advanced reading group in first grade for those children who are way beyond the standard 1st grade reading curriculum. The 1st grade classes have about 20 - 24 students and the teachers are wonderful with the kids. There are regular events (lighted school house, dance party, movie night) and lots of fundraising, organized by a very motivated PTO (lots and lots of fundraising). The children have regular music, PE, library and computer classes and my son is very happy at this school. There is a dedicated shaded playground area for each grade and lots of room to run around in. I would like it if there was grass for the kids to play on but this is AZ and I understand that grass is not a realistic expectation. The school takes student safety very seriously but they are still allowed to play and have fun without suffocating supervision. The safety rules give me peace of mind.

Posted May 1, 2010

My son had 3 amazing teachers while at the primary school. They kept him challenged and excited about coming to school everyday. He was very upset about having to move on and leave each teacher behind because he had built such strong relationships with each of his teachers. I am very thankful for their commitment in providing such a great education for my child.

Posted November 20, 2009

I was disappointed to read some of the reviews regarding the look of the school. Although SPS is not a newer building, it appears to be well taken care of. The teachers create colorful and engaging classrooms and the grounds look wonderful. My children love the gardens. Most importantly, the staff are friendly, knowledgeable and have given my children a great experience. Learning is focused on the whole child. I and my children will always have fond memories of SPS.

Posted September 23, 2009

I have been more than pleased since my daughter started Kindergarten at Sahuarita Primary School this fall. This is my first child attending school and I have found SPS to be a warm and welcoming place. The children are all well behaved and the teachers are amazing! I was nervous about the high expectations at first, but my daughter is writing sentences and reading already....and enjoying it. Thank you to SPS administration and staff for creating such a wonderful experience for my daughter.

Posted July 22, 2009

Another great year at the Primary School with another getting ready to start! My children have loved going to this school. The teachers are very nurturing and compassionate while pushing my children to their greatest potential. I have always found the adminstration to be very positive and genuinely care about students and their success. I hope my children enjoy all their school experiences like they have here. Thank you SPS!

Posted October 8, 2008

SPS if fine if you have a child that doesn't have any special needs. If you do have a child that has special needs - beware - the teachers and even the principal (yes the principal) will only tell you what they will not do for your child, and they won't help brainstorm if you are having an issue. You have to figure out how to solve problems on your own, and without asking for any of the staff's help. I thought parents, students, and teachers were all supposed to work together. . .what happened to those days? Very disappointed!

Posted April 29, 2008

My son is very excited about SPS and even said he liked going way more than his old school in FL. He really enjoys the play ground time before school and I think it gives him the chance to run off some energy before sitting in class for hours. His teacher seems open to ideas and is focused on getting him caught up. Thanks so much

Posted March 27, 2008

SPS is definitely a place where a child can grow and learn! The teachers, staff, and administration are world class. My daughter loves to go to school.

Posted March 27, 2008

My husband and I have been incredibly pleased with both the administration, Mrs. Steward, office staff and the teachers at Sahuarita Primary School. The environment is very positive and we feel our children are safe and enjoy school. When we moved here from the East Coast, the Primary School's curriculum was more advanced and the teachers were wonderful about catching our children up. We are very pleased with this school and the community.

Posted July 16, 2007

Sahaurita's Primary School is the worst school ever! The building looks like it was built back in 1803, the teachers are lazy and don't give much homework. We moved from Northwest Tucson and my daughter was miles ahead of the other students when she transferred to SPS. They seem so far behind the other schools, my daughter has become very bored and I have to create more work for her to do in the evenings because she doesn't get the challenge she needs from school. Very upset and disappointed!!!

Posted March 4, 2007

I am heavily involved in the Sahuarita School district and have been very disappointed. The class sizes are huge and the district doesn't spend money well.

Posted February 19, 2007

The Young's are a great team of teacher's. They give the student's enough one on one time and enough skills to learn what they need to move forward in school. I feel my daughter has accomplished so much more this year than she did last year. I am proud that she is safe and well looked after in school. She has thoughts of becoming a teacher, singer, or an artist. I am sure the more she learns from these types of teachers she would probably become a lawyer or a doctor. We thank them so much for all there hard work. We would like to recognize them for teacher of the year for second graders. Thank You, Mr. and Mrs. Marxer

Posted March 27, 2003

Sahuarita Primary is a good school over all but could use some updating.

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

350 W Sahuarita Road