Walker Butte K-8

Public | PK-8 & ungraded

Posted April 11, 2013

I like the parent communication. I liked getting newsletters from teachers telling what my kid was going to be taught that week. I also like the Principal. He is always approachable and will sit down and talk with us. I think the teachers are doing the best they can. Schools have had a lot of budget cuts and teachers are working hard despite this.

Posted April 8, 2013

I'm an 8th grader at Walker Butte & to be honest going to school is like a roller coaster ride. There's good parts & awful parts. I love 3 out of my 4 teachers. However, the immaturity level is insane. These kids are in for a smack in the face when they get to high school! Also, they rush kids into classes far too advanced just so that they look better & smarter than other schools. I was a geometry student & I had to bus to & from the high school for math which sucked because Poston's teachers are 10x worse! Not to mention I was failing the class & had to drop out. Now I'm back in the class I took last year & the teacher makes me feel stupid, unaccomplished, & unwelcome. I also must mention that the guidance counselor is a total space cadet! Also, thanks to the assistant principal for not giving me a copy of my eligibility packet like she promised for days, I can't try out for high school cheer. This school is so broke & they waste their money on ridiculous things. Also, there was a teacher who cussed in front of my parents at my little sibling's parent teacher conference. (Did I mention that prison food is healthier and more filling than the school lunch?)

Posted February 15, 2013

I agree ... School aid is way under qualified. They like to make you feel like your an inch tall if you complain about her. She must be related to someone to still be working there.

Posted February 15, 2013

Great Teachers and staff but horrible school aid care. She almost put my child in intensive care and acted like it wasn't a big deal.

Posted February 15, 2013

My daughter loves her teacher. You can tell she really cares. However, they need to get new school nurse. She is condescending and wont take responsibility for her mistakes. My daughter, 9 yrs old, said the school nurse made her cry and felt very uncomfortable. Not a very happy parent now :-(

Posted February 15, 2013

Ya know, she did the exact same thing to my child as well. Why don't they get rid of her?! I remember there e was a post about a diabetic child she neglected but it was removed. Guess they don't like hearing the bad

Posted July 18, 2012

My son attended 2 yrs in the K-2 area. I noticed mistakes that had been on GRADED homework; so obviously neither teacher properly does what is expected of ANYONE WORTHY OF HAVING A LICENSE TO TEACH. If parent is highly involved, and reviews every asssignment and test that comes home with them: They will easily get onto the honor roll. DON'T EXPECT THE TEACHERS TO DO EVERYTHING...WE AS PARENTS HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO OUR KIDS TO KNOW & REVIEW EVERYTHING WITH THEM. I consider this to be just a tiny bit below "AVERAGE" because many improvements need to be made. There are children being beat-up and abused by other students on campus. No discipline ever occurs, but any student can tell you of something they've personally witnessed. Just ask.. it's TRUE! Teachers often pick "pets"; and then tend to ignore other students. Then they will turn a "bilnd eye" to the children who are failing. Teachers seem pre-occupied, self-absorbed, and with a lack of experience or sound moral charachter (One or another). My son did very well there academically; but i think it is mostly due to the HOME-SCHOOLING he recieved from me while in attendence at this school.

Posted April 21, 2011

I am a mom who not satisfied with this school at all. This school has such a bad reputation between students and teachers. There is no daily/weekly reward system put in place school wide for these students who work hard, other than the honor roll, and not everyone gets on the honor roll. The teachers grading system is awful. Some are hard on their students when it comes to school work, while other teachers lack at not enough participation with the students. The PTA is awful. I've never seen an activity, or any involvement of the PTA at the school. There is an extreme shortage of parent volunteers. The Principal is not very good, and his office staff are extremely self centered. Their special needs department needs a make over, it's terrible. The 7-8th grade students who play sports, are extremely cocky. They are known to be extremely rough, and they manhandle other teams with out getting fouls called on them. Students hardly ever use the cross walks. Students are crossing all over the busy streets of the school. If you do not stop, the kids flip you off, and yell at you as you drive by. I would stay far away from this school as possible. I'm getting ready to move on out.

Posted April 8, 2011

I'm an 8th grader currently attending Walker butte K-8 school, Ever since ive moved to this school in 5th grade, this school has been not only a terrible influence, but has ruined my middle school experience. The childern that attend this school are; rude, perverted, and have no respect for anyone, most importantly the younger grades. The teachers are lazy and do little to keep children under control. they have had a mold infestation, the hygien is incomprehensably disgusting, and the students themselves awful, now its not there fault, the elders who shape them are at blame, who are? the teachers, the parents, and the principal. Now i can GAURENTEE that ive learned more in my 4th grade year in a public downtown chicago school than i learned in 5th+6th grade combined! the guidance counselar does nothing to help the children, only to collect the paycheck, the principal doesnt steer us in the right direction, rather just observe classrooms all day. the higher up staff jumps to conclusions and they are at fault for some bullying that happens here. anonymous source? doesnt exist here. theve revealed students names who has been bullied. the classrooms are crowded, ty to the band+libr.

Posted April 5, 2011

I read all the reviews from others and against all odds I still put my kids in this school. I wanted to form my own opinon on the school after all could a school be that bad? YES IT CAN!!!! The ast. principal on the upper campus is a scared mousy type person. She does nothing in the formof disipline, it's a wonder the kids keep acting like fools. The kids on the k-2 campus seem to be under control, the kids act a lot nicer and more in control. Upper grade 3-8 is insane and totally out of control. Kids can disrupt the class and the teachers let it go on even when parents complain. Teachers are lazy and there to collect a check THATS IT! I would NEVER rec. this school to parents who want their child to have higher education won't happen at this school. Admin. does not care nor do teachers and it shows. Sorry I didn't believe what I read on the school. Its negative from yrs back and still today is not any better! DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS TO THIS SCHOOL Eduprize is worth the waiting list get the kids on it!

Posted December 2, 2010

Horrible school- WB has some good teachers but a lot of them appear to just not care. Staff does a poor job of communicating with parents. I ask my children what they learned in school they always say review or preparing for a test. I don t think my children learn anything at this school and there test scores reflect as such. Bulling is a huge issue and staff doesn t appear to do anything to prevent the issues. Kids are spouse to report the issues but nothing ever comes from it. The school guidance counselor is useless I don t know what she is paid to do. The aids watching the kids while they play will do every thing possible to avoid dealing with bulling on the play ground. If you are able to take your child to another school in the area then you should. I will be removing my kids!

Posted November 4, 2010

I think its funny how everytime there is a negative review about this school, there are three new ones that rave about how great it is, how convenient. The honest truth is in the AIMS test scores. This school is not doing its job with these children. We have three children at this school and although two get decent grades, As and Bs mostly, not one of them passed the AIMS tests in any subject, all were below standards. An A at this school is a C at any other excelling school. They pass a child, when they should be repeating the grade. The staff is overwhelmed at the front desk too.

Posted August 17, 2010

My child has had a great experience at Walker Butte so far. I love my child's 4th grade teacher. Mrs."Bro.." is great. She is an experienced teacher and it shows! She sends me, and the other parents, I am sure, weekly updates and information each week by email so I always know what my child is learning and what is going on at school. She is working with my child on areas he needs help in. My child looks forward to going to school each day and often comes home with funny stories to tell me, and often tells me something new he learned that day.. I know that my child will learn and grow this year at Walker Bute. I have enjoyed the small town feel of the community and love this school so far.

Posted July 12, 2010

My children just finished their first year at Walker Butte; one K & one 4th. Mrs. "B"(K) is amazing! Although my son began K at 4 yrs old, he excelled with her. My 4th grdr had Mrs."S", a 1st yr teacher. She helped my daughter bring grades up from Bs & Cs to all As & one C by year end. I was not pleased with her lack of communication w/parents & her organization but it did improve some by year end. Pincipal A & VP Mrs.M were very responsive to my concerns & promptly addressed issues when brought to their attention. Office ladies are fantastic! Being new the the area, they were always available to answer any questions I had. I can't say enough good things about them. Still not sure how I feel abt the "year round" schedule. Still adjusting as we start our second year at WB.

Posted July 10, 2010

Most students have many opinions about this school. They are more of hatings then liking for the students. Students who attend Walker Butte do not like the schools ideas, breaks, and what's inside the school.

Posted June 7, 2010

I love it!!! Great school with great teachers and great leadership! I have had my children in charter schools as well as private schools and I love this one just as much. Go Walker Butte!!

Posted January 22, 2010

We moved here from out of state this past year. We are very pleased with Walker Butte overall. We give the school an A+

Posted April 1, 2009

I am a parent of 3, 2 of which attend Walker Butte. One is a 1st grader and is doin wonderful!! I couldnt have asked for a better teacher!! The other is a 6th grader. Im not so thrilled. Im not gonna completely blame the school for the feelings that I have. Im mostly disturbed with the kids themselves. There are quite a few bullies and trouble makers. My child has had soooo many problems in this school with kids taking his stuff, being bullied by them, and so forth. I hate even sending him to school anymore. I also dont enjoy the fact that when i pick my kids up from school, half of the other students are acrossed the street smoking. Ive seen 3 fights outside that school and Ive only lived here for 6 months. Where are these kids' parents?? I seriously just dont get it anymore.

Posted November 14, 2007

I am a seventh grader here at Walker Butte. I have been here for 3 years. It is a horrible horrilble. The teacher are great but we need a new counseler and a vice principal. We need more money. I also think that we need to be seperated into a middle school and elementary. Hopefully you take my advice.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 24, 2007

I am a 7th grade student at Walker Butte and I think it is great. I was new this year and I made a ton of friends. The environment is very friendly and the teachers are really nice. Although I do have to say that they are lacking in the extra curricular activities, it is a overall good school.But I do think that they should give harsher punishments to unruly kids. I would recommended this school to everyone!
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 987-5369

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now

29697 N. Desert Willow Blvd.
San Tan Valley, AZ 85143