Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I've read some of the reviews from a year or two ago and really am surprised by them. This school has been wonderful academically and socially for all of our kids that have gone there. No, they aren't like Basis (nor do we want them to be) and don't have 4-5 hours of homework per night, but they average at least an hour or two. The teachers are great and proactively help. Great school!

I am a student at mountainside. I came from a different school, basis, which is a charter school. The school is way to easy. My fifth grade sister that goes to anasazi elementary school brings home much more homework than me. Not challenging at all. The great thing at this school is the curriculums, they have many sports and arts. I am in the choir and I am a bit disappointed. I am a singer, and have had lead roles in many theaters. This school only appreciates people with quiet voices, because i have never been picked and i have a loud strong voice. They only pick quiet voices. This school needs a theatre program, i have asked many others and they agree

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers are great. They are encouraging, fun, and just strict enough. There are a couple of not so great teachers but most are delightful!

Develops character: Neutral

Mountainside has a ROAR system. This system acknowledges Respect, ownership, achievement, and responsibility. If you are caught doing one of these things you get a roar card. You can use this on prizes from the roar room or be entered in a monthly drawing. This is not a encouraging system. i feel bored and the prizes are terrible. They should have more encouraging prizes so people are more encouraged to do better

When student's get to 8th grade they are left to their own devices to learn. Principal is a power monger and the Psychologist should have her license revoked. She does not follow legal guidelines of IDEA. LRC teacher's are deplorable and do not care about the students.

Make up tests, make up homework and very little homework. No big papers, scarce computer work. We have had two students attend Mountainside and you would never know they were in school. No accountability and super easy. Our two are B students and they coast right through. I literally make my son write in no homework for each class each day if there isn't anything assigned. You can view no homework for every class except math.

We left MMS this year due to the horrible experience with the administration. Yes, middle school is a tough transition for any child and MMS does not make it any easier. The school population is overwhelming and the teachers are at their max. It's a shame because there are some very talented and caring educators at this school, however our counselor (and other 'head' staff) were not professional and extremely rude. Our child was afraid to go back to school due to the harassment from certain staff! Not to mention that out of 4 people that we carpooled with this past year, not ONE is returning to MMS. All chose other Scottsdale schools for their children this coming year!

The MMS faculty and administration are wonderful. My child's teachers are competent in their subjects, responsive to my questions/concerns, and caring. The guidance counselor did a great job helping my child adjust to our mid-year move to AZ by introducing him to students with similar traits/personalities and he's thrived both socially and academically. I would not hesitate sending my child to this school. Middle school is a challenging time, so it's not surprising some students have difficulties at MMS and similar public schools.

I went there and this an awful school. I believe that they say that they create an "equal" campus. They do not! I left that school because the academics were awful, the teachers were average, and the environment was sickening. I recommend private schooling.

Mountainside is an amazing school! My child is there right now, and even though another comment says that they hated the staff, this year, about half the staff has been replaced and works amazingly and my child loves it! Another comment also states that their child was constantly pulled into the office for drama, but who says it's the staff's fault? "Drama" is not the staff's problem, so why blame them? But anyway, Mountainside is an amazing school and I'm very pleased!

Last modified Mountainside Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.