Pima Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 700 students

Posted April 29, 2014

Pima Elementary used to be a decent school, until the high number of staff swaps and new principals. My child has been attending pima for a few years, and recently this school has drastically declined in communication skills with anyone, the principal is never available without an appointment, the office staff is rude and extremely unpleasant to deal with. Above all that, the pick up and drop off lack of safety and supervision is a disgrace to Scottsdale School District. We have had to contact Scottsdale Police multiple times regarding poor pick up lanes, unsafe, speeding drivers, drivers driving around the crosswalk, on the opposite side of the road into oncoming traffic, etc. The list just goes on and on, very disappointing.

Posted September 10, 2013

Pima is a great school! My daughter has gone here since 1sr grade. The teachers are very attentive and are excellent communicators. The school is on a good neighborhood and their security practices are on par. I highly reccomend sending children to this school!

Posted July 10, 2013

Pima is a great school I have a daughter with high functioning autism who went to Pima from 3rd to 5th grade after being bounced around by the district. I also have a younger daughter who attended k,1st grade. They have a NO TOLERANCE for bullies and the one time my older daughter had a small issue on the play ground the other kids were warned they will be kicked out of the school! they said sorry and that was that. Strict attendance policy. Great reading program. My youngest started K at 4yrs old. We are sad we are leaving Pima oldest is moving on to middle school and my youngest will have to change do to the time differences between middle school and pimas time. I drove my kids 30miles each way to keep them in this school. We had a rough start with are special needs child and I never had to worry about her at Pima. DO NOT SEND YOUR SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD TO PUEBLO HORRIBLE SCHOOL thats were my older daughter had previous went. My other daughter will be starting 2nd grade with a fourth grade reading level! They also have gifted services which were used for my youngest as she measured to high on the 1st grade levels so we were still able to keep track of progress.

Posted May 9, 2013

My Daughter has been going to Pima Elementary since the beginning of this year. There's some bullying going on that needs to be addressed and taken care of. The Office Staff does what they do yet the Principal is no where to be found. I've tried on numerous occasions asking the front office to speak to her. They would always tell me that she's 'NOT AVAILABLE' and she will call me which NEVER EVER happens to this day. Also, the safety during drop off and pick up times' of the Students is horrible. People drive like maniacs and have no common sense. Our Kids' safety should be our number ONE concern and RESPONSIBILITY!!!!! I don't see this at ALL.. and plan on taking my Daughter out of this School when this School year is over!!!!!! Very Concerned and Pissed Off Parent..

Posted February 1, 2011

My fifth grade daughter Autumn attends Pima , and has since first grade. This has been the perfect school for her. My daughter is a gifted student, and they do have a gifted program for her, and the students really enjoy thinking outside the box. The scores are wonderful, and my daughter has work in front of her we never thought a child her age would be doing. She was recently accepted into a very challenging prep school, and will be doing a complete honors program. I am completely confident that she is more than prepared for this. Thank you to all of the wonderful teachers that have done this for her. There is truly a ratio of 16 students per teacher, it's just that some types of classes require more instructors than others, and they have several special teaching positions. Thank you to Ms Knight, Ms. Hazeltine, Ms. Marx, Ms Shultz, and Ms. Lewis.. Autumn says thank you for making it all come together for her, you got her organized. Special school, amazing staff.

Posted November 5, 2010

I think it is misleading to list 16 students per certified teacher here. My children have always had between 25-32 per class.

Posted April 13, 2010

This is a great school with awesome programs and great curriculum.

Posted November 14, 2009

Nice enrichment stuff, but academically, my child did not haave her needs met, the school seems to care too much about what is on the Aims test, and not as intense of a curriculum as i would have liked, it doesn't enen compare to are you smarter than a 5th grader?, lots of unregulated bullying

Posted July 12, 2008

We transfered our daughter here from Hohokam because of a bullie problem we just could not resolve with the school. We were thrilled with the Pima and our daughter did just great. What a relief that she would be able to finish out her Elementary Education with a since of peace. A Greatful Parent

Posted May 29, 2008

I have two children in Pima and I cannot say enough positive things about the school, staff and administration. Reading comprehension is stressed as it is the foundation for success in all other classes. The music programs, vocal and instrumental, have been fantastic. Where else do 4th, 5th and 6th graders in an after school elective chorus have the chance to perform in musicals like 'Annie', 'The Wizard of Oz' or 'Mary Poppins'? The gifted program has brought out the best in my youngest daughter. All in all, I have to say how grateful I am for each of my girls' teachers. I highly recommend this school.

Posted April 15, 2008

This is a great traditional-style school. Emphasis on academics. What I like best about it is that the staff and teachers have high expectations for the students and yet the students don't seem stressed out or pressured. Truly a small private style setting and a gem of a school.

Posted April 10, 2008

Pima has made excellent progress and is currently the best elementary school in South Scottsdale. The most important thing: my children are enjoying their teachers, classmates and studies, and they look forward to school each day. Isn't this what really matters? It couldn't happen without their great teachers and the support of the administration. I highly recommend this school.

Posted March 28, 2008

My son went to kindergarden here and at the time I thought it was great; however when it was time to enroll my daughter I ran into a problem. They tested her first because her birthday is in November and said she wasnt prepared so we put her in the Tempe school district. The things they taught my baby to do were leaps and bounds beyond anything that was even introduced at Pima. She is now reading at a first grade level and adding and subtracting. We deceided to put our son in the same school with his sister and he is now reading at a second grade level and doing second grade math. Pima school was OK but the Tempe school district has a higher standard of learning of its students.

Posted March 26, 2008

My kid's love Pima! My kid's can even read and write better then a lot kid's older than them from other schools. This is because I feel that Pima has the best to offer in many programs and even their teachers. The education they offer and the way it is presented is outstanding. I am amazed with the enthusiasm from the parents and their involvement with Pima. I feel that Pima is the best elementary school in Scottsdale!

Posted January 3, 2008

My daughter started kindergarden this year at Pima. We can't say enough good things. She struggled a bit in the beginning, but her teacher had great communication with us and helped us bring her up to speed. She is now excelling quite well. She does have homework everyday, but it takes no more then 15-25mins. The entire faculty is great. They do lots of 'special' activities for the kids especially around holidays. The after shool program (Kids Club) is great too. And alot cheaper then daycare.

Posted December 21, 2007

My son just started kindergarten at Pima and I have no major complaints. He is doing so well and has learned to read in just weeks after his first day of school! I appreciate the schools discipline and behavior code because I see that a lot of other schools don't apply much of any at all. I do not think Pima is too strict. My son is well behaved, more than before he started school. He does however get a lot of homework, for kindergarten that seemed a bit odd to me, but he likes it because it is fun and it isn't everyday he gets it either. My son loves school, loves his teacher and has made a lot of friends! I highly recommend Pima Elementary, my daughter will be going there when she is ready to start in a year.

Posted October 15, 2007

We cannot say enough good things about Pima elementary. We have three children who attend and have had the best teachers and while attending there. The overall focus on academics and extra curricular activities is outstanding. This school offered free all day Kindergarten long before other schools because they allocated their Title I monies for it. Pima is to be commended for looking for students best interests first.

Posted January 31, 2007

I would not recommend Pima for a young child. Pima's discipline and behavior code is inconsistently followed and inappropriately applied. Teachers are hard on young children adjusting to a school environment, to the point of cruelty. I withdrew my child. There is little interest in working with kids who do not follow a standardized development pattern.

Posted October 30, 2006

October 2006 - we switched our children from another school in Scottsdale because we moved - we love Pima - I feel that they are getting a better education at PIMA - my son is excelling - so is my daughter - I am glad the parents are not bogged down with tons of reports and homework as we were in the other school. I think the staff at Pima is caring and very organized - we are very happy.

Posted October 10, 2006

I can not say enough great things about Pima. We transferred from another Scottsdale school and I really never recognized what a difference there could be. My kids are challenged and thriving. The parents are very involved and I believe that makes a huge impact on the school!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 47%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 484-2801

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now