Sandpiper Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 397 students

Posted December 12, 2013

We really love this school. The principal is awesome! From what we have seen, the administration is more involved with the students than the administration at our former private school. This is our first year, and so far we have been very impressed.

Posted October 21, 2013

Sandpiper is a great school! Mr. Jeras - the principal - is very involved with the students. He visits the class rooms throughout the day. Knows kids by their name. Teachers are great too and so is nurse King! We love the small school atmosphere.

Posted October 20, 2013

My daughter goes to this school she is very happy and excited about learning education . Principal and Teachers are really into helping kids improve in studies. Sandpiper elementary school ROCKS*

Posted July 10, 2013

Sandpiper really is a GREAT SCHOOL. We are districted to Sandpiper, but live near two other good schools that we researched before we settled on Sandpiper. So glad we did. It is a small school within a great community and I have loved participating at the school as so many other parents do. I have a 2nd grader and incoming Kindergartener, and both boys are ecstatic to start school again because they are both so comfortable at Sandpiper. The teachers we have had in the last two years were top notch and the principal is a great influence. I believe the Make Your Day has taught my child to take responsibility for their actions and to strive for good behavior. I highly recommend Sandpiper to any parents that want a small, local school feel within this sprawling metropolis with so many school choices.

Posted November 11, 2012

My daughter moved from different school has started her second grade in sandpiper this year we noticed a huge difference. Honestly our experience has been 100% very happy. The teachers and principal are amazing... every, single one love the way they encourages the children. It is a great feeling to know my child is truly cared and is very safe. My daughter enjoys going to school each day. She is learning soo much and I can see that progress. Kids are friendly, kind and very respectful. We don't see any bullies or rude kids or parents. People here come across very decent and educated. We are glad we chosen the right school for our daughter . We are truly blessed. Looking forward to register my son next year. I would highly recommend sandpiper elementary school to any parents who are looking for good school.

Posted October 11, 2012

I completely disagree with the last review. I just came to Sandpiper from a neighboring school and am thrilled with the Special Education/Resource teachers. I have two children who need extra help and I believe by the end of the school year they will be up to grade level. I also love the small community feel and find that the kids seem HAPPY at this school. The principal is very funny and my children are really having a good experience at this school.

Posted July 10, 2012

Lacks resources for special Ed. Special Ed teacher- lacks experience we miss K.G.! She was awesome ! Please stay with SUSD. Not PVUSD. Unless your kid is " typical". Go here...if you suspect anything else don't count on this place to give them a proper education. They seem it as inconvenience. Lack all needed essentials as a human needs that can't be bought or taught in college .just plain lack of understanding each child is a individual

Posted September 30, 2011

Sandpiper is a caring, supportive community. The teachers and staff are truly dedicated to the success of each child. The teachers have consistently provided appropriate learning opportunities based on the ability level of each of my 3 children. Sandpiper is committed to developing well-rounded students by focusing on academics as well as citizenship. My kids love going to school everyday!

Posted July 24, 2011

My oldest is entering 2nd grade and my middle child is excited to start kindergarten at Sandpiper this fall. It is a small school with a great community feel. The staff are so welcoming to the children and parents alike. The teachers have offered my daughter more challenging learning opportunities to meet her abilities. For the younger gifted kids in math, they are allowed to move up a grade. The teachers, principal and staff have also worked well with us as parents to help address my child's emotional needs and I feel everyone at the school has her best interests at heart. Looking forward to enrolling my younger 2 in the partial language program, great opportunity to start learning a second language! Also a wonderful group of dedicated parents, PTO providing additional learning and fun activities for all.

Posted July 24, 2011

This is a wonderful, small school where everybody helps children succeed. Teachers listen to concerns, push for excellence, and provide a welcoming atmosphere for all students. Both our children attend Sandpiper and love it!

Posted May 19, 2011

I am extremely impressed with this school! It has been referred to as a "hidden gem" and I completely agree. The educators and level of instruction are just as good, if not better, than what private school parents are paying thousands of dollars for each year. The environment is very welcoming to both students and parents, too. Walk through the school and you'll see nothing but happy students!

Posted February 24, 2009

My daughter is in 3rd grade and has been at Sandpiper for 3 years. This is an awesome school, I also have a 20yr old so I have been thru many years of experience. The principal Mr. Jaras is awesome, he is loving but firm...what more can you ask for!!!

Posted February 23, 2009

My daughter entered sandpiper in 5th grade( last year) and i am very impressed. I love this school because it is a great enviorement for her.

Posted January 2, 2008

My daughter last year attended Tavan and switched to Sandpiper Elementary. What a huge difference. This school is a diamond in the rough. Small School, great teachers and lots of parent involvement. I have seen big changes in our daughter and couldn't feel more blessed. I highly reccomend this school to any parent.

Posted August 25, 2005

What a great school. So many teachers in this school are wonderful. My son and daughter have absolutely loved everything done to date. The Catalina trip for 6th graders is an absolute must!

Posted May 4, 2005

Our first year of school experience with Sandpiper's kindergarten program has been amazing. My son has grown in leaps and bounds since the beginning of the year in math, reading, writing, thought process, social skills, and more. I couldn't have hoped for any more. Our goal was to have him reading by the start of first greade, and we've already made that. The teachers are very open to dialogue and there is a mutual respect between the parents and teachers. I like the balance between learning, music, art, p.e., and the teacher's ability to make learning fun. There is never a bored moment in my son's day.

Posted January 31, 2005

Sandpiper has excellent school programs. The academic level isn't as high as many would like. Parent involvement is high which helps contribute to the classroom experience.

Posted April 28, 2003

Sandpiper is a warm, nurturing, and enriched environment for our children. It is 'cool' to be smart and successful here. The principal is responsive and involved, and the teachers are extremely dedicated, experienced, and enthusiastic. The parents welcome new families, and are very devoted to contributing to the outstanding special programs.

Posted April 14, 2003

My son spent his entire elementary school career at Sandpiper. He is a ninth grader now and performing well in his advanced high school classes. My daughter is a fifth grader. She, too, has benefited from a rigorous academic program. The social and emotional needs of students are met, as well. The school climate is warm and welcoming. The leadership our principal provides is exemplary. Teachers and parents are encouraged to take leadership roles, too. As a result, Sandpiper students benefit from an array of enriching school day programs as well as numerous extracurricular opportunities and evening family programs. We in the Sandpiper community are proud that we have been awarded the A+ Schools-2003 designation by the Arizona Education Foundation!

Posted April 12, 2003

Sandpiper is a public school that offers its students an exceptional education as well as many of the programs and activities usually reserved for students attending private schools.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6724 E Hearn Road