Scottsdale, AZ

Supai Middle School 4

Posted August 14, 2015
Coming from a feeder school from further north Scottsdale and hearing the rumors about Supai my family was nervous to attend this school. From the open house I realized that Supai under the leadership of Mrs. Hummon has made great strides. There has been a huge shift in staff and the teachers who are there are amazing! The first week was focused on orientation and the anti-bullying campaign. My daughter is an honors student in 2 classes and those teachers have been wonderful. She is in sports and under the direction of the new activities director (Coach Brissette- who also coaches at Coronado) I have high hopes for the sports programs. What I like the most is the diversity. Coming from a primarily white elementary school in the upper middle class of Scottsdale there were a lot of girls who act like the stereotypical "rich white girl." The diversity in this school is a much needed blessing for my child to gain social skills and learn about other cultures. The students here aren't entitled brats. Even though there isn't a lot of parent involvement, there is a lot of opportunity for the parents who want to be involved and the school staff truly appreciates the parents help (even more than our elementary school with TONS of helicopter stay at home moms.) I will edit my review if needed after we have spent a year at this school but I am hopeful and confident that Supai is greatly improving and I am excited to give this school and it's committed teachers a chance to assist me in raising a happy, healthy, well rounded preteen who is dedicated to school, her studies, and sports.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 14, 2015
The 7th grade math teacher (who is also 6th grade honors) is a very fair teacher, giving the kids multiple opportunities to fully understand the subject and offers multiple chances for the kids to come in for additional help. She has been a teacher at the school for 12 years and is very kind and dedicated. The 6th English honors teacher is also very kind and focused, really paying attention and listening to the kids. She is always helpful and I have seen her kindly direct children numerous times. The other 6th grade teachers seem exceptional and the group as a whole seem to really work well with each other.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 14, 2015
The English and math teachers give the most homework. The other teachers are aware of this and limit their amount of homework so the students don't get overloaded. The English teacher assigns daily reading and gives the kids a syllabus at the beginning of the year outlining the due dates of larger projects giving the kids weeks to complete the assignments at home.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 14, 2015
The week long anti-bullying campaign is a huge focus on the first week of school and seems to resonate with the students.

Supai Middle School 1

Posted May 05, 2012
Supai has a beautiful campus. The principal received an outstanding award. However, the school has not achieved AYP for the third year because the principal has failed as an administrator to offer strategic training to the teachers that in turn is highly effective when teaching in a challenged school. There are not enough texts, materials, or supplies to effectively teach the students. The principal has a negative rapport with all staff members.

Supai Middle School 1

Posted April 11, 2012
Supai's Principal is the worst ever! She has brought nothing to the school but, strife. I am appauled that they chose her as Principal of the year, obviously an attempt to make the dismal failure of the school to look better. I feel very sad that she is the districts last hope. The bullying is at a dangerous pitch and the AYP scores are proof that there is little teaching going on. Not all teachers are bad like the ones that never leave their desks, pass out papers, eat chips and drink soda. There are some very devoted teachers. The Pincipal has no patients for the children and has displayed her anger in some damaging ways. She needs to stop taking credit for the green grass and worry about the real problems going on there instead of worrying herself about school uniforms. She was a failure at Pima Elementary when she would lock small chikdren in a 5x5 room for a full week, throw work at them, all by themselves with no instructions at all. Instead of moving her around through the district where she can damage children I would rather pay her to stay home! If it wasn't for some teachers there that actually do teach, I would have not given any stars.

Posted February 25, 2010
Supai started out as a good school the 'new' principal was great, now that she has been there a few years things are no longer on her top list, sports is not her concern at all, she allowed a office staff person to organize all sports and lets just say alot of promises were made to the coaches and teams and NOTHING was ever followed thru on, when several coaches called to talk her about this she acted like she knew nothing about anything, and to her office staff she ok'd everything, two years have gone by and the girls softball program still has no uniforms as promised, volleyball just received there's two days before a game, first volleyball coach quit due to the schools empty promises, and who is the ones that suffer thru this the kids, Supai is known as the worst school around for any sports,

Supai Middle School 5

Posted April 08, 2009
I love supai. The amount of extra activities alone is....Well, amazing. The new 21st century program is great if parents dont get home till late. The band teacher is phonomenal, we all love him, casey rabe. He also teaches at hohokam elementary school and (in my opinion) rivals my previous band teacher, sally dubensky, at tonalea elementary in favoritism. All of the kids love his enthusiasm in band and music, hes arranged a field trip to california. Were going to go to knott's berry farm and fender guitar facory. This is the first year hes managed to ge this done! the soar program is annoying but -although we may not know it- it assists us in more ways than one. It provokes us to get our homework done at home, get to class on time and bring the required materials to class. Soar is not a disciplinary program.

Posted November 29, 2008
Supai is a horrible school. The kids have no structure there

Supai Middle School 4

Posted October 30, 2008
Our son attended Supai from Fall 2000 to Spring 02. Our daughter is now in her second year. My wife and I agree that we have seen Supai advance from a very poor school, with almost an inner-city feel (when my son attended), to a great school filled with teachers seeking excellence (which it clearly seems to be, today!). The band teacher Casey Rabe is particularly good. If your kid is band-oriented, I strongly recomend this school, for just that reason. The kids (based on our visits with teachers in their classrooms, as well as my daughter's experiences over the past two years) are being provided with an education which will set them on the right path, ready to meet high school head-on. And, in my opinion, that's the primary goal for a middle school. Supai's level of teaching is clearly excellent--not something I say about many Scottsdale schools!

6720 East Continental, Scottsdale, AZ  85257
Last modified Supai Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Supai Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top