Yavapai Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 559 students

Posted November 12, 2012

New Principal lacks interaction with parents. She doesn't seem very approachable neither does the vice principal. I hope they both will become more supportive with PTA as the previous principal was. We really miss her.

Posted May 30, 2011

Yavapai is an amazing place for students to be themselves.The principal is very nice and fun.The school offers Thunderbird Acadamey which gives grades 2-6 a choice to join a before school or after school club. Therfore PROVES that Yavapai is a great school to enroll for. You can get an amazing home in the area of Scottsdale that is safe and very friendly for you and your family.

Posted April 8, 2011

I totally agree with things falling on deaf ears @ Yavapai elementary in Scottsdale, AZ!!! Everything ive ever said fell on deaf ears, & this is my first year for my child @ this school 2010-2011..... The principal is VERY MEAN? O.K., she might be a little mean, but I do not understand she failed to reprimand one of her lunch ladies, after she put my daughter in time out for not eating her lunch? Or maybe calling her MEAN, is too much, even after the fact that she called the police on my wife & I for asking the lunch lady what happened? Maybe because the lunch lady had her boyfriend hanging out @ work, ready to fight me as soon as I questioned her about what the heck happened? HHHHHHHMMMMMMM.................. Besides the fact that the principal lacks INTEGRITY in all matters of her position, its a OK school for your kids to learn!!! lol

Posted October 15, 2007

An outstanding staff and administration! Yavapai has developed outstanding programs to meet the needs of all learners. My son has matured greatly during his first 4 years. Communication is excellent! Teachers and administration are accessible and willing to assist when necessary. This school deserves a pat on the back!

Posted April 20, 2007

My child has been at Yavapai since Pre-K and has enjoyed being at Yavapai for the most part, but this year has been extremely disappointing and worrisome! The teachers are great and really care for the students. The Principal is effective and has done a lot for Yavapai, but there is one huge problem at this school: Bullies! My child is being bullied. I reported the problem more than twice and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. My child will not return to Yavapai and I would not recommend this school until they protect our children from bullies.

Posted April 12, 2007

I want to thank Yavapai for a great first year with the Scottsdale District. Coming in as a 6th grader was made easy for my child.My childs homeroom teacher is the best, she really works hard to keep our child on track and does her best to motivate allowing for our child to reach higher standards.At times it is a struggle , but she always manages to pull our child through.The Leadership is outstanding and is there when you need help.I am very greatful we made the switch.My child has a better attitude towards school since they have been at Yavapai.The school does alot for all the students.Thanks to the PTA for all they do to support the kids as well.

Posted April 4, 2007

I belived that this school is doing much better this year it has improved when it comes to better teachers

Posted August 29, 2006

New to the District this school year 06/07.We are so far very pleased to be here!Everyone has been very helpful in meeting our needs.Our son's teacher is very understanding and meets his needs with asking for that extra mile.

Posted May 6, 2006

-Incredible environment for learning -outstanding innovations -child-centered -super staff
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted October 29, 2005

This is by far the worst school I could have imagined.It is in the Scottsdale school district,but doesnt even compare to the schools more north. There are a lot of bullies, and my child learned all the spanish cuss words the first week of school.The school is comprised of kids from a low income housing project, and the majority of the kids are hispanic, with quite a few as ESL students.

Posted October 13, 2005

Not a lot of parent involvement unfortunately. However, it has a lot of diversity.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted September 14, 2005

I love my Yavapai Elementary, starting from the top, Mrs. Cohen is friendly and accessible. I see her on the campus and interacting with students in a positive way. Many of the teachers and teacher aides are bilingual which is great for our community, especially the children. I am really delighted over the reading programs and like how they encourage it for all ages. What a true luxury it is, to hear a six year old read. I have seen Yavapai improve over the last few hears, not only in academics but the atmosphere as well. Yavapai is what we make of it, join the PTA to see how we can continue to improve. Our Yavapai teachers really do care!--Mommy of two students enrolled

Posted September 8, 2005

As a former student of Yavapai Elementary School, when it came time to select a school for my child, I knew I couldn t go wrong with my alma mater. Sure things have changed over the years but I knew the spirit of the school would always remain the same. The teachers are highly skilled and work hard to bring out the best in each child. Not only are they committed to their students during school hours but they always volunteer for extra school functions after hours. The principal works hard to create a fun yet safe atmosphere for our students to learn in. I am very happy with my decision to stay with the Scottsdale School District and Yavapai Elementary School.

Posted September 6, 2005

My child is in an outstanding first grade class at Yavapai. My child had the opportunity to loop from kindergarten to first grade with two highly qualified teachers who have been team teaching since last year. I am so excited about Ms. Cohen's dedication to looping. I am happy to know that my child is in a fun learning community. I just want to take the time to thank the wonderful teachers and staff at Yavapai for doing a fabulous job!

Posted September 6, 2005

My child has attended Yavapai for three years now. I am pleased to share with other parents that everything that has happened at Yavapai has been positive. The principal and teachers are very informative and helpful. The PTA has been great! My child loves going to school at Yavapai. He feels safe in the classroom and on the playground.

Posted September 6, 2005

I have taught at Yavapai for four years now. I completed my student teaching at Yavapai, graduated and taught in another district for one year. I knew in my heart that Yavapai was the school for me so I returned for my second year of teaching. I felt welcome, appreciated, and valued at Yavapai as a professional. Not every school is perfect, but I feel that Yavapai is perfect for me. I realize that several parents might disagree with how safe our school is or the quality of our teachers and principal, but I am a teacher at Yavapai and I know that our school is safe. The teachers and staff do their best to provide a safe learning environment. Our teachers at Yavapai and our principal are all higly qualified and are doing what is best for our school, our children, and our community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 19, 2005

Yavapai has been a great school to my 2 children. The principal and teachers have put forth all of the necessary effort in providing the best education for my children.

Posted December 18, 2004

I think that the Principal is awesome. I really like their program that allows children to stay with the same class mates at they go up a grade. It has been fun watching my kidnergartener learn to sound out words and develop basic math skills.

Posted August 25, 2004

Overcrowded, low income area, some dedicated teachers

Posted December 22, 2003

This school gets worse and worse with every passing year. I am so glad it is my child's last year there. The playing feild is totally unsafe (full of holes), and the supervision is sorely lacking.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 84%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 484-3801

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now