K-8|Private

Bad
Good

I have been a parent at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School for 15 years now and have 5 more to go! I have 4 children.. 2 have graduated OLPH and 2 are still attending. My 2 older children are in Catholic high school and in college. They both have received scholarships and both have been prepared for secondary education better than I could ever have expected. Not only are they thriving academically but they are good, moral, helpful, beautiful Catholic contributing members to society!! This is our school, Church and social community and we wouldn't have it any other way. We love the down to earth, real and caring nature of the staff at OLPH! We love their dedication to our Catholic Faith and to the well being of the entire person for each and every student. The OLPH Mission Statement includes this line, "We are committed to academic excellence, loving one another, and serving people beyond ourselves." This truly sums up our experience all of these years at OLPH and we look forward to the years to come!

i am an alum of OLPH and my son is starting his second year there. He had a wonderful kindergarten experience. Both KA and KB teachers were experienced and fabulous. I felt that they embraced my son's uniqueness and high spiritedness. They helped him grow as a learner and an individual. I have had nothing but amazing interactions with the office staff and administration. The parents are warm and welcoming and so involved. My son had an opportunity to be in the school play which was a fantastic experience, unlike any other opportunity in the valley. The older kids really looked after him and I felt that was such a great reflection of their character. I was a public school educator in the area for 15 years and I know that my son's needs as a person and as a student are being best met at OLPH. It is a special place. I couldn't be happier with our choice of schools for our son.

This school's academics and discipline have steadily declined under the missing leadership of the current administration. With a fifty year plus history in this community, I am surprised the diocese and school board have let this happen. Fortunately, there exist better alternatives in the area. I would highly recommend looking at other schools.

Bullies, bullies, bullies! Teachers and staff do NOTHING! Do not come to this school if you want your child bullied. This is supposed to be a Christian school? Why do they let this go on and on? Staff acts like you are a bother to them. They cannot retain a Spanish teacher for more than a few months lately. The new teachers are terrible. Save your money and go somewhere else.

This school has been the worst experience since day one. We moved here from Boston and arrived to the school a month in. The K teacher had no desk for my son and actually said I didn't know he was starting today. The communication at this school is awful. 6 weeks into it our son has been bullied and the teacher and staff have done nothing about it. This school claims kindness is everything and shows nothing of that sort. The KA teacher is awful and has no idea how to handle her class. I never imagined in a million years a Catholic school would be as bad as they have. They leave no room for children to be creative or express themselves. They do not want your child to have a personality or be an individual. My son will never be anyone's puppet. We are happy to be leaving this awful school.

I have two children at OLPH. I am very impressed with the quality of eduction, caring teachers and loving environment of OLPH. They have many resources to help students succeed that other schools do not have like after school tutoring, reading resource teacher, math resource teacher etc. Their annual theater production has won many national awards. Being in the play is a great experience for the kids. The parents of OLPH make it a welcoming environment for new families. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a smaller, private school with quality education.

I have had mixed feelings concerning OLPH for the past 5 years. I currently have a child in a "lower" grade and a child in an "upper" grade, and one who previously attended. I agree that OLPH is a great school for younger students. I also agree that the science teacher is tough as nails, but do not necessarily think that is a boast-worthy quality. I have a child at Brophy, and he struggles in science there, but received an "A" each year he had the OLPH science teacher. If you as a parent, and your child conform to "her way or the highway" then you can earn an "A". (I have actually witnessed the science teacher snap on 2 different teachers, 1 adult volunteer, and a group of 3rd grade girls, all on separate occasions.) My child who is in an upper grade at OLPH has 3 teachers who consistently use Ren-Web, but none of the others do. It is very frustrating. My child had a failing grade in English and I did not know for weeks. I love the parents at this school. They are amazing. It should also be noted that OLPH has not been able to retain a returning Spanish teacher for several years. I agree that no school is perfect, that is why we have stayed at OLPH for so long.

I respectfully differ with a few of the other comments regarding Our Lady of Perpetual Help Scottsdale. All of our children have attended OLPH since kindergarten and they have had nothing but positive experiences and support from teachers whenever they needed it. No school is perfect, but OLPH comes very close. The faculty and administration are very helpful and you can feel the Catholic identity as soon as you step onto the campus. We all need to be advocates for our children and be forthright with what we need and expect from the schools our children attend. Weekly assignments/tests come home that should advise a parent how their child is doing as well as progress reports mid-quarter, so it is hard for me to believe that a student or parent wouldn't know how poorly they were doing until it was too late to recover. All of my children's teachers effectively use RenWeb as well. The upper level science teacher is amazing - she has 28 years teaching experience and has a wealth of knowledge. It is true she is tough as nails and may seem intimidating, but she is FAIR. She sets high expectations for her students and strives to help them be self-directed and organized.

If your child is doing poorly, you will not find out until it is nearly impossible for them to bring their grade up to passing. There is no concern for students who are struggling. You can pay for a tutor, a teacher at the school that is not your student's teacher. This school loves to make money and the church loves to take it. No lockers for students either. They are expected to carry around their 60 lbs backpack to each classroom. There is a serious disconnect.

OLPH is almost a terrific school. Communication is very inconsistent between teacher and parent, however, the administration is excellent in communicating with families. I would highly recommend this school for younger students. Somewhere around 6th grade, the teachers became less interested in students' success, and less available for conferences. You are not able to simply stop by your child's classroom to ask the teacher a question. Not all teachers update the "RenWeb" grading site, and this causes a lot of missed assignments and test prepping on the wrong days. The upper level science teacher has been at this school for a very long time. Students learn at a young age to fear her. It is her way or the highway. She treats students, parents, and staff very, very disrespectfully. The administration is fearful of her, and will never side with the student or the parent when it concerns this teacher. Some parents will tell you that she is amazing at preparing your student for high school and college. She will prepare them, but at a terrible expense. My child is too frightened to ask her for help! The great families and great kids at this school are what save it!

Last modified Our Lady Of Perpetual Help School is a Private school that serves grades K-8