Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted February 04, 2016
Dear Great Schools, I have been a parent at this school for 8 years. All three of my boys began as toddlers and my oldest is now in 7th grade. Mission Montessori embraces true Montessori philosophies, teachings and values. My boys have had teachers that care about them as a whole. Mission goes way beyond academic rigor. These children learn about the world, different cultures, the arts, organic gardening, self reflection, how to work within the confines of a team and so much more. All of my children test at high levels and so do the rest of Mission's children. They learn in a way they remember forever but more importantly they develop confidence and independance. Our global education program a hidden secret that should be flown by banner on a plane around the city:) My oldest son has attended MMUN conferences in Jin Zhou, China, New York City and Santiago, Chile in March. This is not a vacation, it is very hard work. Patti Sandler (Global Education Director) prepares these children so they can debate high school students! For example, my son represented the country of Argentina on the issue of Eradication of Poverty on The UN Development Program. This takes critical thinking to debate issues representing a country who may or may not even have your same views or resources. Now he is creating his own Non-Governmental Organization in collaboration with Columbia University and a CEO mentor. They are the best, period. Oh by the way, they won BEST CHARTER SCHOOL OF THE YEAR 2015! https://azcharters.org/2015-charter-school-of-the-year-mission-montessori-academy/ Just a little side note..:) #bestschoolever #bestteachersever #bestmiddleschoolscottsdale #superintendentisamazing #globaleducation

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 04, 2016
They are all brilliant and very educated. Each teacher goes to the best Montessori training center in the US.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
I have personally watched a student scared to present without holding their head up high to presenting at a conference among peers with grit, determination and a fire in thier belly to debate. #cryinghappytears

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
They have a peace table in each classroom for a meeting of the minds and understanding. Respect is so important at Mission Montessori.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
The amount of love and compassion that students give to a fellow student after they present a project to the class is so sweet. They lift up and encourage their fellow classmates pointing out the beauty in what was presented. The care for animals on each campus as well as nurture organic gardens.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
Mission Montessori adheres to Maria Montessori's teachings and beliefs. "It is not enough for the teacher to love the child. She must first love and understand the universe. She must prepare herself, and truly work at it." Maria Montessori

Posted February 02, 2016
My kids have attending MM for over 7 years and I can say that they truly care about your child. The teachers are highly qualified and dedicated. The curriculum is customized to meet each child. This allows the students that are ahead to keep going and not have to wait, and also to support the children that are struggling without being left behind. The administration works tirelessly 12 months a year and is accessible to the parents. In terms of donations, the school does not pressure families. In fact, some families do not give anything and are still treated the same as those who give a great deal. I do see them trying to educate the parents about the tax credit more lately, because some parents do not understand it and think it is a donation, which it is not.

Posted February 02, 2016
To the parent that felt bad about tax credits. I am so sorry that you felt that way. Really, I mean that. I know this was not the intention of our school. I know how hard our administration works to make ends meet after our budget gets chipped away each year from the state. Charter schools all over Arizona depend on the Tax Credit program to fill in the gaps. Mission Montessori has programs that go way outside the scope of what is required and these are not funded. I personally know these people you call “admin". They are the most loving, caring, committed (and underpaid) faithful servants of every child in the school. Jodene Tryon and Deborah Summers work harder than anyone I know. Mission Montessori takes care of any family with hardships and actually gave over $50,000 in scholarships last year alone. They work behind the scenes to ensure that every child has an opportunity to participate even on trips.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted February 02, 2016
Jodene, you are who I want to be when I grow up. Thank you for your vision and belief in our children and your school.

Mission Montessori Academy 1

Posted January 20, 2016
I agree with a previous post regarding this school wants to attract parents with money. I didn't contribute my tax dollars to this school during this most recent tax year , and I was treated extremely different by the front office administrator afterwards. The admin who runs the front office was very bold and confrontational when I submitted my reenrollment application for my child without a year end contribution check. She asked me about my missing contribution check and then asked if I understood the program. I told her that I understood about tax donations and that I didn't have a check for Mission Montessori that year. She continued to ask me when I would send a check, and acted indignant and confrontational in the process. She was visibly displeased when I said that I would not contribute. I felt like I was put on the spot and it was none of her business. My family does make contributions each year to schools, but we have more than 1 child in school and I did not plan on donating to a preschool. My intention was to make the donation when my child had enrolled in the charter program. I left the office feeling like I had been bullied. The admin has given me the cold shoulder since that day, and delays getting back to me when I have questions. About a month before this incident happened, another parent had sarcastically mentioned to me that the school was about to begin the process for collecting tax money donations. I didn't fully understand what she was communicating to me at the time, but now I get it. I am somewhat disenchanted with the school after that experience. The entire reenrollment process at Mission Montessori is setup with an agenda of "face to face" requests for donations. I think it is a very clever system, but perhaps the school should focus on explaining to the parents why the school needs these contributions and the goals of the school. It is a worthy cause to contribute to the schools. But, Now I feel awkward and conflicted about contributing next year to a school that alienates families. What about when a family experiences a hardship and they can't make a contribution? How will that family be treated? When I first toured the school, the same administrator mentioned above, told me that my child would be taught courtesy, grace and manners because that is the Montessori way.

12990 E. Shea Blvd., Scottsdale, AZ  85259
Last modified Mission Montessori Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.