Scottsdale, AZ
Before care: Yes

Posted December 17, 2014
I have a child in the preschool and one on the main campus. We can't say enough great things about this school. The class sizes are small, the teachers are caring and loving, the families are friendly and involved, and my kids are happily learning here.

Posted September 22, 2014
As John Bradford said "There but for the grace of God go I." My kids are both graduates of SOTD and I am happy to say that they have both carried the morales and values they were taught at Shepherd into their adult lives. This was one of the main reasons my husband and I chose to enroll and keep our children in a SOTD. We wanted them in an environment that reinforced what we taught them at home. It was not always easy either financially or when dealing with day-to-day "personality differences" but they were given the tools and perspective from a caring and involved staff to make the correct decisions. Not only are they educationally prepared for high school and now college, they'll are also prepared to cope with all people in a tolerant and accepting manner. While we may not all agree or "like" each other, we must all learn to live in the same world. Shepherd's staff is excellent educationally also and goes the extra mile to help students learn proper study habits. So happy we made the decision to send our kids to SOTD. They both plan to continue the tradition when they have kids.....not to soon I hope!

Posted September 01, 2014
We are new to Shepherd of the Desert, and so far it has been wonderful! My kids actually enjoy going to school. The teachers have also been a surprise. It often seems like kids are just a number, but both teachers have truly taken an interest in my kids. I had individual meetings with each teacher to discuss my needs and expectations as a parent. I was very pleased with how they listened to my concerns, and gave me the reassurances I needed. Overall I am very happy with the school, and look forward to see how the rest of the school year goes.

Posted August 06, 2014
My son graduated from Shepherd of the Desert Lutheran School and was received with love and acceptance after relocating from the Midwest. The school is a close knit community, the teachers are caring and nurturing. The education was far superior over the public schools he had attended prior. The Christian foundation and well rounded education that he gained has been and is a huge blessing in his life. I strongly recommend this school.

Posted May 19, 2014
This school went from an incredible reputation and education to the absolute opposite in less than 2 years. It's only getting worse from here and now it's not just the good and well behaved students leaving, but the good teachers too. It seems they too cannot handle the disruptive behavior allowed in the classroom. Because of the hitting, kicking, tantrums and other disruptions that are not at all discouraged, the children are unable to learn what their peers are learning at other schools. There isn't enough time to teach when there are so many distractions in class. I feel sorry for the parents who are continuing with the school hoping it will get better because their kids will only fall further and further behind. My kids love their new school and I'm so glad to be rid of this school and it's politics among the teachers, administration, board who lacks any experience, and "mean girls" parents' association. All in the name of God!

Posted March 21, 2014
This school is on a very sad situation! They have decided to reward bad behavior in the name of disabilities and the good kids are punished because they cannot learn in the hostile environment that they are subjected to each day. Hitting, kicking, throwing, tantrums and other bad behavior is accepted so long as your child can be labeled as special needs. Nothing is done to stop or correct the behavior because anyone who sees a problem with it is labeled a bad person. I just wonder how much longer the school can survive with this philosophy? Why isn't something being done? If your child is a problem child, this is the perfect school for you. If, on the other hand, you have a good kid, you may want to consider a different school. The teachers and administration are all not only on board with this behavior, but they talk badly about people who want kids to be told it is not okay to be bad.

Posted March 07, 2014
We were at SOTD for two years in the upper elementary grades. SOTD is not worth the $$$. The previous reviews about "mean moms" are true. Bad parent behavior is rampant throughout the grades and encouraged by the administration. The small class sizes are no advantage when you factor in that there will be a significant number of children who need special attention from the teacher because of a behavioral or learning disability. The classrooms are wrought with distractions from these children, and the level of academic achievement is just not where it should be for a school charging this much money. Over the two years that we were there, we watched as all the smart, well behaved kids and good parents left the school. We watched in horror as the teacher disclosed to another parent that we complained about the obscene gestures that their child was making toward our child in class. We were ostracized by the other parents and excluded. Finally, we were done with complaining to the cowardly administration and left as well. Worse, we paid good money to be treated poorly!

Shepherd Of The Desert Lutheran School 4

Posted February 21, 2014
We have been with SOTD for almost 3 years now. I love the teachers and staff and feel the curriculum and additional support is key to our son's success. The teachers' truly care about each student and the school is a very "family" friendly community. This is a fabulous school and I would recommend it to anyone.

Shepherd Of The Desert Lutheran School 4

Posted January 15, 2014
We are in the second trimester of our first year at Shepherd, with a child in the five day kindergarten. We really like Shepherd. On a scale of 0 to 10, where ten is the best, we would SOTD a solid 8.5. We like: the approachability of the teachers, the excitement seen in our child wanting to go to school (it definitely was no always this way with a preschool we were at in years past), the community of the school is welcoming. Yes, you need to make an effort, attend and get involved to meet others but that's a normal part of life at any school. The teachers really care about the kids and make learning fun. As far as kids that are severely autistic, I wonder if the person that wrote this has ever seen a severely autistic child? I have to wonder as the situation presented in previous reviews is just not accurate. It sounds to me like fear based statements from someone who does not understand what autism is...and so rather than learning about it, reacts with fear to it. My child is also in this class, and it is not out of control, the kids are not fearful, and the kids are learning! I consider the statements made overly dramatic and misrepresenting the class. Just something to consider

Posted December 18, 2013
I'm saddened by the comments made toward this school and its staff. As a new employee, I was welcomed with love and appreciation and continue to receive nothing less than that. In my opinion our staff goes above and beyond to make sure that everyone is treated fairly and respectfully. The education that the children receive IS on par with their grade level and our students are well prepared as they transition into the next year. Being in this faith based Christian environment is a blessing each and every day. I' m proud to be a member of this loving staff and would highly recommend this school!

Shepherd Of The Desert Lutheran School
9590 East Shea Boulevard, Scottsdale, AZ  85260
Last modified Shepherd Of The Desert Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Shepherd Of The Desert Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top