Freedom Academy

Charter | K-8 & ungraded | 238 students

Posted September 13, 2014

We recently moved out of the state, and we had attended Freedom Academy for two years. I will say that not a school day goes by where I don't think about Freedom Academy, and how amazing of a school it truly is. Being part of a big public school now, makes me realize how special being part of a smaller school is. Freedom creates a safe, warm, welcoming, inclusive atmoshpere for any child and parent, and really values family time. The way they have their teachers organize homework and academics is outstanding. The PE coaches are enthusiastic and encouraging to the kids. The uniforms are affordable and I loved not having to hassle with outfits everyday, or compete with other kids. Also, the fundraising at this school is minimal!! Believe me, being part of a big public school now makes me realize how gentle Freedom was about fundraising, and made it fun for the kids and parents. A big public school has a PTA that might as well be a corporation. Pushing fundraising constantly. Freedom did not have that, and the PTA was a fun way for parents to be involved and contribute to the school. I will always be grateful for the wonderful experience we had at Freedom Academy.

Posted September 12, 2014

This is my child's third year at Freedom Academy South. She has always had a voice in where she goes without me. I never make her stay somewhere she doesn't feel welcome and cared about. For this to be her third year at her school speaks volumes because she's particular. She has had her share of problems but the same as with any school and they were always worked out without a crisis. I like the less overwhelming, smaller campus and she is excelling in her studies. The principal/superintendent truly cares about the families. The teachers and staff are warm, friendly and upbeat. We do need fundraisers because of less funding from the state, but if everyone pitches in what they can we succeed and I have never felt pressured. As far as Spanish, Computer and extras there may not be funds for, I consider those things we can delve into at home and it's still worth it. The school is so much more personable than my own grade school was. I like the firm but creative learning atmosphere and I feel a lot of staff members and parents are willing to 'think outside the box' here.

Posted April 28, 2014

What a wonderful place to send your child! My son started FreedomSouth in the first grade and is a few weeks away from finishing fourth grade. He has grown and flourished here so much. The only downfall is the lack of language, computers and art which all cost money. Thank you Freedom for showing my son "integrity, honor and leadership ".

Posted April 13, 2014

The principal, staff and pupils made our children feel welcome on their first day. They received welcome cards and made many new friends. The principal seems to go out of her way for her students and parents and the school morals are of high standards. This is most definitely the school for our family!

Posted March 25, 2014

Freedom Academy is a parent's dream for their children! This school is beyond incredible in it's depth of care and responsibility taken for each and every student. I have seen first hand in the caring approach taken by staff to correct behavior issues, as well as, their dedication in meeting each student's academic goals. The leadership is outstanding....and the teachers are so creative and dedicated. I am not naive to think that there aren't any problems...however, if you focus on what is most important, then you will be one of the many parents that are thrilled with this school. I am so saddened to hear of some of the negative reviews, as I cannot relate to their perspective. Perhaps one of the best things about this school is that the administrators' doors are always open. If you have a concern or issue...they truly would want to know about it and help. My daughters have been at Freedom Academy for almost 3 years, and I could not be happier with this school!

Posted March 22, 2014

If your child has an IEP, is delayed or learns differently, FAN is not the school for you.

Posted March 11, 2014

As the Charter Director of both sites of Freedom Academy, I am saddened to think anyone would feel they are judged poorly if they do not donate funds to our schools. We do many fund raising events, but stress that participation is always optional. If someone has been hurts by words spoken regarding funds, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with that person. In no way does the administration of these schools think less of someone who chooses not to; or cannot afford to donate. For events where there is a "fee", many scholarships are offered for those who cannot afford an event. I would hope that a person with these feelings would come and explain any situation where they have been made to feel "less than." Our philosophy is caring; not judgment. If we have erred, please come and let me make it right. Linda Hoffman
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 10, 2014

I think this school has taken new turns that are beyond appalling. If you send your child here, keep thick skin because the judgement will go beyond the money in your pocket. If you don't contribute money to this school, you are on their bad list.

Posted November 6, 2013

Freedom Academy is a wonderful school with amazing families!!! The teachers and Principal are exceptional.... I feel grateful because I know my children are getting a great education and are 110% loved, nurtured and encouraged! Thanks Freedom. you set the example for other schools and teach our kids to love and care about their education and each other! This is a school were EVERY child counts and does not get lost in the system or politics! We have been at Freedom for 7 years....

Posted September 27, 2013

This is our second year at FAS, and we are very happy with the school, teachers and administration. The attention to our child has been good and appropriate for a charter school. No complaints! All I ask as you read these reviews is that you do what is common practice in these forums, and disregard the very best, and very worst comments and that will give you a good true sense of what it is really like and what is really going on. Thank you!

Posted September 23, 2013

This school is absolutely terrible , they had over 20 kids in grade seven last year and most of them left , to a point that only 4 in grade eight this year , we took our kids out without finishing the year , the grade seven teacher that was out to lunch everyday is now teaching grade 1 or 2 , we had meetings with administration to bring various issues up and these people new it all , did not want to listen to anything we had to say . they are full of themselves , trust me children at this school do not learn anything , we had to send our kids to private school and before they moved there we had to have them at tutoring all summer . what a disaster of a school .

Posted September 13, 2013

I am so crazy about this school, I don't know where to begin. We attended Freedom Academy for 8 wonderful years. Our family them had to move for my husbands job and it was rough on our kids, to say the least. One of things that helped them get through this tough time was that the school stayed in contact with us. They took time and had the kids write letters to our children. The principal, Linda, took time to message us checking on all of us regularly. I knew the school was amazing while we were there, after leaving though I needed to come up with a new word to describe them, because amazing just doesn't seem to be enough... they are fantabulous! If you and your children are lucky enough to live in the area, I wouldn't even think of attending any school, other than Freedom Academy!

Posted September 13, 2013

My children have attended Freedom Academy for 5 years and we couldn't be more impressed. My son and daughter are challenged by high academic expectations in combination with caring teachers and great student connections. The small school setting enables the teachers to know all of the students on a personal basis. You will not find a better combination for your elementary and middle school children. The best around by far. Once your children experience Freedom Academy, you will be sad it only goes through 8th grade.

Posted August 25, 2013

There are no words to express what a special place Freedom Academy is. I credit Linda Hoffman for making our son s 8th grade a success. Also, the coach who not only teaches the importance of physical activity and proper nutrition, but who also takes on a mentoring role with the kids. I wish we had found Freedom Academy before that. Our son is now 19 years old and in the military. He still keeps in touch with Linda. When he came home on leave she made sure she spent time with him. She sowed into his life then and she continues to do it today. When students graduate from Freedom they remain part of the family. My daughter attended Freedom Academy for 6th, 7th and 8th grades. She also stays in touch with Linda. Our children had attended a very reputable private school for the years prior to attending freedom Academy. When our oldest graduated from that school we switched the younger two over to freedom. I was in shock that It was free. Such a great school! The environment was much more loving and caring than the private school and the academics are very good. How I wish we had found it earlier!!

Posted August 6, 2013

Freedom Academy is an amazing school. The director really cares about the children and the teachers are great. I have three children at Freedom and they love going to school!

Posted August 5, 2013

I really enjoy this school because it is a safe and caring place. The Staff is well trained in protecting my children, and they are also very organized and on top of standards and expectations for the state and national scores. I have been there for 5 years and feel like it's the best school around!

Posted August 5, 2013

As a grandparent, I am extremely happy to know my kids are at such a wonderful, fun and disciplined school! Linda Hoffman (the principal) keeps the kids on task with great leadership and whenever we attend one of the many fun performances, you can see the respect those kids have for her. That is an A+ in my book! GREAT school and happy to know my wonderful grandkids are there!

Posted August 5, 2013

I absolutely love sending my son to Freedom Academy! He is learning so much and enjoys going to school everyday. I know that he is loved there by all of the staff and they take the time to know every child at the school on a personal level. I always recommend the school to anyone who is looking. This is truly a GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted August 5, 2013

Freedom Academy is a school full of totally passionate teachers and administration. I've had the priveledge of knowing the Charter Director, Linda Hoffman, since she taught my own child many years ago. She is a proven leader with an unbridled passion for educational excellence. She surrounds herself with equally driven and dedicated teachers, and administration, which is the 'golden' key to success in any classroom. This committment ultimately transcends to the individual student, and increases their overall performance in the most positve way possible.

Posted August 5, 2013

Freedom Academy South has been an outstanding school for my child and it starts with the principal, Linda Hoffman. Ms. Hoffman sets the standards so high that everyone around her wants to do their best including the kids. My son came from another school and the transition was seamless. The teachers are all the best I believe in the Valley! We are so lucky! PTO is phenomenal! I find this school to be a hidden gem, however, everyone needs to know that we have one of the best run schools in Arizona. A+ Excelling!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A47%
Female 36%N/A49%
Male 64%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15014 N 56th